May 08, 2009, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Dayton Ohio HLG contest

The Dayton ARea Thermal Soarers (DARTS) are again going to host a HLG on contest September 19-20, 2009

contest webpage: http://www.daytonsoaring.org/darts-hlg-2009.htm

Here is a birdís eye view of the field, This should give those who havenít flown on it some idea of what it looks like. More pictures, maps, etc to follow as we firm up the details.

As noted further in this thread, we decided on a 2-day contes, see the above webpage for details

+++++++++++

Iím looking for inputs from the community of HLG flyers as to holding a 1-day or 2-day contest.

The available dates are Sept 19-20, 2009 and the field is already reserved for both days.

At this point, before we go any further with the planning, which is already well underway, Iím looking to see if there is enough interest to warrant a 2-day contest.

Please post here your interest and preference, 1 or 2-day contest.

The contest will be held on the DARTS home field at Twin Towers Park in Fairborn Ohio. The event will be AMA sanctioned and have traditional F3K tasks as well as other tasks to keep things on the fun side. Weíll be awarding plaques, certificates and merchandise. We plan on furnishing lunch(s) as part of the entry fee. More details after we decide to run a 1 or 2-day contest.

It is my understanding that the DARTS have had great 2-day HLG contests at the field in the past and that they were well attended. The field is a nice one, with a pavilion, rest rooms, and plenty of parking. The thermal activity is regular and usually one can expect great weather in mid-September.

Thanks in advance for your inputs, again, please post here your interest level and preference, 1 or 2-day contest

Joe
Last edited by Jumpin Joe; Sep 04, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2009, 01:02 PM
Throw a glider!

Sounds great

Good post Joe, I will be there to help out. Anyone else out there?
May 09, 2009, 02:13 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Two separate one-day events with a grand champion is how we've done it in the past. I would vote for that format and would sponsor a worthy Grand Champion award.

BTW Joe, the stuff posted on Torrey Pines' website is the same as the CD I have. I still plan on calling you back in the next couple of days.

Tom Siler
Columbus, OH
May 09, 2009, 02:23 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
zip start or dlg
? my vote dlg
May 09, 2009, 06:38 PM
JimN8UAY

HL contest

Hi Joe! Yes, I would be interested, as Tom mentioned, in 2 separate events with a 2 day Grand Champion. That would be good for me in case I can't get both days off from work. Hopefully I can get both. We may have a couple of guys I could coax into coming along.

Jim C
Cleveland, OH
May 09, 2009, 07:52 PM
Glad you're going Jim, I'm planning on being there too. Two one day contests with an overall winner is the way to go.
Larry
May 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
OK guys, the intention of this post was more along the lines of feeling out the interest level that is present that may warrant a 2-day meet.

Based on some of the preliminary feedback here and from others both via email and in person, I have decided to run a 2-day contest. The field is already reserved.

Tom and Jim, yes a two day format similar to what you elude to, is exactly what I had in mind.

Tom, anything you want to contribute towards a worthy Grand Champion Award is most welcome. Get with me offline on this please.

Gavin, just to be clear, I am running a pure HLG contest, no zip starts. My goal is to re-establish a traditional HLG contest in the Dayton area, and the DARTS field is a great place to do it. As you may know, in the past when the DARTS ran pure HLG contests, the draw was good. I am hopeful of and am anticipating a good draw for this yearís event too.

Now that the decision to run a 2-day meet has been made, stand by for details.

Weíve got some good plans underway for what should be a great time for all. Iím going to run a pre-entry via a website, and all the details will be posted there.

Iíve had a number of people already volunteer to cook lunch, so the plans are that lunch will be provided on both days as part of the entry fee. Helpers, family members and spectators can pitch in $5 per day to cover their lunch too. Kids will eat free. The field has a really nice Pavilion that is perfect for this kind of thing.

Joe Mekina, CD
May 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpin Joe
It is my understanding that the DARTS have had great 2-day HLG contests at the field in the past and that they were well attended. The field is a nice one, with a pavilion, rest rooms, and plenty of parking. The thermal activity is regular and usually one can expect great weather in mid-September.
Oh absolutely. It was common in the late 90s/early 00s for the DARTS 2 day hand launch contests to pull 20-25 or even pushing 30 pilots.

The DARTS field is a cool one. I think this event is too close to the Bruce for me to make it, but I bet you guys have a good contest and good attendence.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
May 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
Guys
Lets go for a real contest..

DLG.... Man on Man Seeded format... Just like the ol days...
I know of at least 5 locals that will attend...

This was the first contest I Ever Went to!!!

And YES the past contests here were very well attended, ask Joe or Don of DJAerotech... Home of the Monarch, 'the glory days of javlin!'

I'm glad to see the DARTS are coming back again for this!!!!
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Winder; May 10, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
May 10, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks Zipstarts blow
May 10, 2009, 10:34 PM
aka Mr.Side-Winder
Had to DIG this up....

5th place in handlaunch at DARTS in 1991!

That's how big the contest was... trophy's out to 5th place! And nice ones too! still hanging in my shop!

I was young and pumped up winning that!
Yea I was pumped up winning 5th!!!

And here's the winning 5th place plane as well. It was 'cutting edge' full flying stab.....I don't think it ever flew again after that!
Modified Zephyr, and it would cork a thermal like no other..
Been hanging up on the ceiling ever since!
Guess I'll bring it to the contest this year for a photo shoot.
Look at the platform... Much different than today's standard, but it was right up there for the time...

Wonder if the nicad pack is still ok???
Let me see 1991 to 2009, hell only 18 years.. I'll give it a charge!!!

Damm... Have I been in this sport that long???
I remember meeting Denny there for the first time!!!
He still had both knees intact...

I even think Phil Barnes attended this contest as well at some time.
This was the BIG 'CAHUNA' contest in the early 90's all javlin and very completive lots of top pilots.....Very glad someone revived it!!!!...
About TIME!!!
Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Winder; May 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM.
May 11, 2009, 06:23 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I have pics somewhere of giving Phil the Grand Champion award when I was CDing a few years back... maybe 2003-4ish? I'll post some if I can find them.

Jeff,

I still have a NIB "Tantrum" that Dave Corven kitted back in the day. I plan on building it this summer when time gets better. That was my weapon of choice before the 4061 Chuperosa came around

Tom Siler
Columbus, OH
May 11, 2009, 07:26 PM
you guys and your wood airplanes (yuck) LOL
Jeff your old, and please build one ,Mathew and I are practicing soon .
Gavin
P.S I have an old jester or scorpion or ,,,Crap its old but ill post pictures if it will get your pickles hard
May 11, 2009, 07:57 PM
Count me in guys, if I can stay sound for two days. And hey, I want to meet Larry Vincek, I hear he really appreciates my views on FAI soaring.

Marc
May 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
Good to see interest in HLG again at the Darts. My introduction to soaring was a 25$ swap meet Monarch and the Darts HLG contest. This is a good reason to replace my batteries and knock the dust off my DLG's. I am going to do my best to prod the Siegel brothers into flying!

Quick Reply