Thread Tools
Jun 11, 2009, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Sky_Dancer's Avatar
Another foam question,
I've been sitting here researching foam core board. I actually thought I saw some the other day at the local Wal-mart that said it was 3.5mm. Was wondering how well it would work with the paper peeled off?
I want to build the smaller plane.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Thread OP
Jimmy: Ideally, I'd say the 3.6g servos are best, but the Hextronic 5g servos are less expensive, and would only be a very tiny weight difference. Just build it light - that's the key to slow flight. As far as the foam goes, you can certainly double up the 3mm stuff to make the fuse. I believe it's 3M 377 spray adhesive that most people use to do that kind of thing. You could certainly make the fuse out of FFF too. Either one would be okay - FFF might even wind up a tad lighter.

Sky Dancer - I know plenty of people use the various foam boards that are sold at Wal Mart and dollar stores and such. I don't know what the variation between any of them is, if any. I've personally bought and used the Elmer's foam board, and peeled the paper off that. Though considering that it took me nearly an hour to peel one board off, I figured I'd wasted too much time doing that, and have used Depron and FFF ever since. The one aspect I can't be sure of with the board you're looking at is how well it would bend and stay bent for the curvature of the wings. If it's not very expensive, I'd say give it a go! Can't hurt to try it.

Let me know how the planes work out when you get 'em flying guys!
Jun 12, 2009, 04:26 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Jimmy JFlyer's Avatar

tip for foam board peeling


I learned this one from Apachepilot...
He bought the foam board at the dollar store and while he was there, picked up a bottle of "Awesome" cleaner. 2 bux & change for both.
He laid out his templates & cut his pieces first.
He then soaked both sides of the board and by the time he was down to the bottom, was able to start peeling the top. The adhesive in the paper started to lift almost immediately . Peeled it in one piece. It took him just as long to wipe the cleaner off as it did to peel the paper. Total maybe 10 to 15 minutes to peel all his parts.
I believe this is the vid in this post.
Check it out. If it's not, just look for the thread entitled "Divinity." It's in there.
Hope this helps.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=80

Jimmy
Jun 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Jimmy JFlyer's Avatar
Hey Magic,
If you were to buy a 4 chnl rx, keeping in mind small as possible but also on a budget, (yes I will probably get the GWS 4chnl) what would be your first choice? Any idea's for under 20 bones? I just lost a plane due to high winds & thermals (whole-nother learning experience there ) that had my 1 of 2 4g rx's on it.
Any idea's/advice?
Jun 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Thread OP
Jimmy - for $20, I'd personally choose the GWS. I've bought Dymond and Blue Arrow receivers in the past - I actually use a Blue Arrow on my BYOB, because I'm only flying, at max, 50 or 60 feet away. But I've gotten the most solid response from my GWS receivers. Personal preference.

That said, the HobbyKing 2.4 Ghz, 4 channel radios are only $30, with receiver. I'm really tempted to pick up some of the 6 channel ones (they're only $33).
Jun 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Has anyone tried to build it with EPP? I built my first two planes with depron, and I am still regretting. As new as I am, I don't think depron is for me. Hours of building and 10 sec of flying before crashing it down nose first .

Would it work if I build it with 6mm 1.9# EPP?
Jun 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Thread OP
I wouldn't suggest this plane if you're still learning. For new flyers, I'd definitely recommend a Trainer One or Blu-Baby.

The BYOB would make a good second or third plane.
Jun 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Jimmy JFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic612
Jimmy - for $20, I'd personally choose the GWS. I've bought Dymond and Blue Arrow receivers in the past - I actually use a Blue Arrow on my BYOB, because I'm only flying, at max, 50 or 60 feet away. But I've gotten the most solid response from my GWS receivers. Personal preference.

That said, the HobbyKing 2.4 Ghz, 4 channel radios are only $30, with receiver. I'm really tempted to pick up some of the 6 channel ones (they're only $33).
Yeah, there has been alot of talk about those between us folk in SE MI. Just a little scared. You know the usual horry stories kinds stuff. I see the reviews are all good but I am still afraid to risk my gear as I would use it on the planes that I get serious altitude with also & would be afraid of anything happening with anything wayup in the air.
But dam, that price is sooo hard to resist.
I'm still on the fence with this one.
Jun 12, 2009, 07:37 PM
Registered User
Sky_Dancer's Avatar
I couldn't find the thinner foam core today. I was in a different town. I did pop down to the Dollar Tree and get some of the Ready board to do some experimenting with. I imagine it's too thick for the smaller version of this plane though. Might do the fuse in it and order the depron for the wings.
I'm still saving up for the motor battery and ESC anyway. My present stuff is way too big. Plus I'd like to make a large order from Hobbycity with parts for other projects so I can justify the cost of EMS shipping and get it quicker. I still have a Slowstick I never finished and I want to try a flying genie on a carpet too. One other question though, is there an equivalent discount motor to that little Hobbycity motor available stateside anywhere?
I looked and couldn't find anything in that weight and KV class that wasn't quite a bit more expensive.
Jun 12, 2009, 07:54 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
I looked and couldn't find anything in that weight and KV class that wasn't quite a bit more expensive.
I picked up a Hacher A10-15S used on RCGroups 25 dollars, I am putting it on my Bill Lowe Ghost Bipe ARF.

I also have a 10 gram HobbyCity motor I just freed up from a 125 gram plane, it was a bit slow for the Cassutt, but it should work well for the BYOB.
Jun 12, 2009, 08:34 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Jimmy JFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
One other question though, is there an equivalent discount motor to that little Hobbycity motor available stateside anywhere?
I looked and couldn't find anything in that weight and KV class that wasn't quite a bit more expensive.
Actually pricewise I don't think so. Closest you will come would be the C10 from Don aka bz1mcr at ...
http://www.strongrcmotors.com/
I believe it is 16 bones. You can find it on his website. He is also a good guy and lives about 1/2 hour from me. I get all my servo's and motor wire from him.
Unlike some other companies, he stands behind everything he sells.

Hope this helps.
Jun 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
I couldn't find the thinner foam core today. I was in a different town. I did pop down to the Dollar Tree and get some of the Ready board to do some experimenting with. I imagine it's too thick for the smaller version of this plane though. Might do the fuse in it and order the depron for the wings.
With the smaller one, you definitely want to stay as light as possible, especially if you use the 10gram motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
I'm still saving up for the motor battery and ESC anyway. My present stuff is way too big. Plus I'd like to make a large order from Hobbycity with parts for other projects so I can justify the cost of EMS shipping and get it quicker. I still have a Slowstick I never finished and I want to try a flying genie on a carpet too. One other question though, is there an equivalent discount motor to that little Hobbycity motor available stateside anywhere?
I looked and couldn't find anything in that weight and KV class that wasn't quite a bit more expensive.
Well, I don't know about the 10gram motor, but if you've got thicker foam board, you could always get a Blue Wonder from Jeff at Heads Up R/C.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

Link is to the kV version I prefer - swings a larger prop for more thrust. I'm using an 8040 GWS on my 32.5" FFF version, and it does fine. Doesn't make turns nearly as tight as the 26 incher, but I can still fly it in my backyard. Plus, if you have larger equipment, you can go with a higher AUW on the 32.5" - mine's at around 8 ounces using 9 gram servos and a 1 ounce 800mAh Lipo.
Jun 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
Sir Russell, himself
russ553's Avatar

My 32" BYOB


What a great flyer!

Constructed of green FFF with a Blue Wonder motor swinging a 90x50 prop.

Maiden flight was going so great until a light pole jumped up and caught the left wing. Fluttered to the ground in 4 pieces. About 2 hours to rebuild, salvaged all parts except the lower left wing.

Flying again and doing great. Now I just need to learn to fly "SLOOOOW". Not enough power to hover but almost.

I love this thing!
Jun 13, 2009, 12:16 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ553
What a great flyer!
Constructed of green FFF with a Blue Wonder motor swinging a 90x50 prop.
Maiden flight was going so great until a light pole jumped up and caught the left wing. Fluttered to the ground in 4 pieces. About 2 hours to rebuild, salvaged all parts except the lower left wing.
Flying again and doing great. Now I just need to learn to fly "SLOOOOW". Not enough power to hover but almost.
I love this thing!
Hey Russ, that looks great. I am not sure why things keep jumping infront of planes. I just had an entire wooded area jump in front of one of mine.
Jun 13, 2009, 12:16 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
magic612's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks Russ!!

Gotta hate when those light poles start jumping in front of planes, eh? Ha!

Just curious, what's your AUW with the green FFF?

The cool thing about flying slow with this plane, is that it doesn't have any bad stall habits. It wants to "mush" forward, a lot like what KFm airfoil will do. So you can throttle back, and throttle back, until it's just barely above stall speed, and if/when it does stall, just push the nose down, give it some throttle, and it keeps on flying!

Glad to hear you like it - keep us updated on your slow-flying progress.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Just got back from my first fly-in mcharles13 Electric Plane Talk 13 Jul 16, 2006 07:52 PM
Lawrence, Ks. Electric Outdoor Fly-In rreiss RC Flight Events 33 May 17, 2004 09:18 PM
Which plane can fly in the small cul de sac? csisfun Parkflyers 38 Apr 01, 2004 06:15 PM
trying to post my first ap,a gray day in my back yard steve ypsi mi Aerial Photography 6 Feb 20, 2004 09:16 PM
Kansas City Area Outdoor Fly-In (early May) rreiss RC Flight Events 9 May 12, 2002 08:11 PM