May 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic612
Yup - I know exactly what you mean!!!
Then if I get anything stuck, it'll be because a wind gust took it up to 70 or 80 feet, and at that point it will require patience and lots more wind!!
My back yard (and my neighbors) give my a 100 N/S X 200 E/W area, Deep Woods to the north, houses to the south. Now that my stick skills are getting a little better <flying indoors helped> my i3D has plenty of room. I really fear getting out over the woods and drop off, it would be near impossible to find. I keep the woods to my back.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
My back yard (and my neighbors) give my a 100 N/S X 200 E/W area, Deep Woods to the north, houses to the south. Now that my stick skills are getting a little better <flying indoors helped> my i3D has plenty of room.
I've been amazed at how fast my stick skills progressed just flying this little BYOB plane around my backyard. I'd initially get scared if I was within 10 feet of any object - house, tree, phone wires, etc. Now I'm flying within a foot of two of the house, miss trees by a few feet, have brushed up against the phone lines with the wings several times and kept on flying...

Quote:
I really fear getting out over the woods and drop off, it would be near impossible to find. I keep the woods to my back.
I'd usually stand closest to this tree I got stuck in, because I had the best view of not only the yard, but also those limbs. Well, my battery was getting a bit low, so I thought I'd just do a couple "throw up high then glide" to practice a few landings.

FIRST THROW, what happens? Instead of turning RIGHT (like I should have), I pulled the stick LEFT (for some dumb reason). The plane was up about 50 feet. I thought about throwing plastic baseballs at it, but then realized if I just bumped the branch with a heavier, larger ball like a volleyball, I could shake it loose without damaging the plane as much. Took a few tries, but I got it loose enough that I could give it full throttle and wiggle it free. Flew it down under it's own power with me at the Tx!

(Whew!)

Yeah, I can see why you keep the deep woods at your back!! Good call on that one.
May 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
The plane was up about 50 feet. I thought about throwing plastic baseballs at it, but then realized if I just bumped the branch with a heavier, larger ball like a volleyball, I could shake it loose without damaging the plane as much.
I was at the local ball field, just pulled off my First Scratch built i3D, First Flight in 20 plus years, my first maiden. It was just me and some Simulator time.

It was my forth flight, last run around, had this cool landing all planned....SNAGGED at the top of a 40 foot skinny elm, I mean very top too. I tied straps to this tree, shook the tar out of it, got it to fall to about 25 feet and wedge a in a fork. A coach showed up, with the look of of "what in the world". He didn't see the black plane, just the numbskull shaking a tree.

I kid you not, we stood there and talked for ablut 10 minutes, he said look at that.....If fell to about 10 feet from the ground by its self, got a ladder and it was all good.
May 25, 2009, 11:22 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
I kid you not, we stood there and talked for ablut 10 minutes, he said look at that.....If fell to about 10 feet from the ground by its self, got a ladder and it was all good.
Sometimes patience is our best ally...
May 25, 2009, 04:38 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP

32.5" FFF version flies!

Well, I just finished up and flew the 32.5" version of the BYOB. I'm heavier than I'd hoped to make it - I was looking at being in the 6.5 - 7.0 ounce range, and with a 1 ounce 460mAh battery, I'm actually at a 7.75 ounce AUW. But with a Blue Wonder motor on the nose and a 7x5 prop, it actually does just fine, surprisingly enough.

Now, I've got some wind to contend with today - it's in the 3 to 9 mph range, with gusts to 12mph. I tried not to fly when the heavy gusts picked up, and landed when they came along. But it did fine with the other wind. It "feels" just a tad more sluggish than the 26" version - though in fairness, that could be because I'm using some servos with short horns on them, and the throw of the control surfaces isn't as great as I've got on the smaller one.

That said, I was still able to fly it in my 40' x 50' (approx 12m x 15m) back yard. I could still pull the quick stall turns necessary to get out of trouble fast. It would still putter around - into the wind - and be plenty controllable with the wind too. I didn't do much in the way of aerobatics - pulled just a loop or two - but it manages those close to the smaller version as well.

Overall - I'd say it's a good second choice if you don't have the smaller motor and the Depron available to make the 26" version. And for really tight spaces outside, it's still a good first option for most anyone that isn't still on a trainer plane.
May 25, 2009, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Well, I just finished up and flew the 32.5" version of the BYOB. I'm heavier than I'd hoped to make it - I was looking at being in the 6.5 - 7.0 ounce range, and with a 1 ounce 460mAh battery, I'm actually at a 7.75 ounce AUW. But with a Blue Wonder motor on the nose and a 7x5 prop, it actually does just fine, surprisingly enough.
Congrates on the Big BYOB, sounds like it has a good start. I wonder <not knowing which BW KV you have> if the 8X4 might help out, little slower but more punchy.

Ron
May 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Hey Ron - I've got the 1300kv version on it. I know it's better with an 8" prop, but since I had the 7" sitting on it already, and it draws fewer amps, I wanted to see how it would work with the lesser prop. With an 8" prop, it might be a bit more punchy, as you said. But it also wouldn't hurt if I put on longer servo arms to get more throw on R / E, too.

I think the wind were a tad calmer, without the gusts, it'd do just fine. It's a bit hairy when it goes from 3mph up to 12mph with little warning!
May 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
I think the wind were a tad calmer, without the gusts, it'd do just fine. It's a bit hairy when it goes from 3mph up to 12mph with little warning!

Yuppers, it got that way this evening, flying a 12 ounce bipe in off and on gusts is almost like herding cats!
May 25, 2009, 07:58 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
"Herding cats" - yes, I can relate to that!!

I just took the 32.5" out again, since the "last 5 minutes chart" for wind was showing 3 to 9 mph. Really, it was pretty controllable in that wind - I think it's anything above that where it becomes a problem. Granted, as the wind picked up, I had to be a lot more active on the sticks, but I never crashed it. And I'm not that great of a pilot either.

I've never flown a plane "3D style" before, but I've seen plenty of videos. As the wind got stronger, it felt like there was a "3D style" aspect to the flying style that was required. Sometimes I'd have to force it into "hi alpha" to keep the nose up, other times I'd have to push the stick forward to maintain airspeed. It's not an easy plane to stall, that's for sure! It helps that the rudder and elevator are big enough to really force the plane to move in a given direction when the wind wants to blow it another way.

I think the fact that I didn't crash it is pretty good evidence that this plane will also work in this kind of small space, even with wind. But it does require quite active thumbs when the wind is blowing and gusty.

I'm interested in flying it in very calm conditions, to see how slow it will fly, as well as test some of it's aerobatic capabilities, given that the wing loading is heavier than the 26" version.
May 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Quote:
"Herding cats" - yes, I can relate to that!!

I've never flown a plane "3D style" before, but I've seen plenty of videos. As the wind got stronger, it felt like there was a "3D style".
The only thing you need for sucessful 3D is 2-1 power over weight, a large prop, and big throws. The last thing is aft CG. I have all of that and most 3D I do is an accident.

Quote:
I'm interested in flying it in very calm conditions, to see how slow it will fly, as well as test some of it's aerobatic capabilities, given that the wing loading is heavier than the 26" version.
I can take a steady wind, gusty or varing direction..... herding cats. If you want to see its real bliss, get into a gym or large building, no breeze at all. With that, you can set a baseline and all else after that is enviromental. This makes tweaking and trouble shooting a much better science. It is a ton of fun too.

(2 min 26 sec)

It is addictive.
May 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
If you want to see its real bliss, get into a gym or large building, no breeze at all. With that, you can set a baseline and all else after that is enviromental. This makes tweaking and trouble shooting a much better science. It is a ton of fun too.
Yeah, I've been looking... the gym at our high school would be great. But it might be easier for me to get the gym the our Park District owns; the hard part is finding a time when it's not being used!
Jun 04, 2009, 01:50 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Well, I didn't get a lot of flying time in while the parental units were in town, but the little I did fly makes it clear that although I can fly the 32.5" version in my backyard (40' x 50'), it's not as well suited to it as the smaller, lighter 26" one is.

I managed to do some figure eights and circles, but the turning radius is not nearly as tight or fast as the 26" version. I was in one corner, trying to get it turned around in a hurry and thought I had enough space...

*SMACK*

Swingset, meet nose of plane. Nose of plane, meet swingset.

Ah well, the damage wasn't all that bad - little hot glue will fix her right up. And when it's a little windy, it's still a little better option than the 26" one. But for nice calm conditions, the 26" is really starting to perform nicely - of course, it helps that the more I fly it, the better I'm getting at doing things with it.
Jun 04, 2009, 06:57 PM
Quote:
*SMACK*

Swingset, meet nose of plane. Nose of plane, meet swingset.
Now who left that swingset out where I could hit it?

Parental Units...I have not heard that term since I left the Illinois, Iowa area.

Sounds like for that small area, the 32 needs to "harrier" a bit more? I have my sidewinder RC Missle project almost ready to test, I have my Firefly half way constructed. Then I can toss together one of the little "bring your own beer" planes.
Jun 11, 2009, 07:19 PM
Just found this thread and wanted to thank you for it.
I have just gotten back into RC after being away awhile. My limited skills need serious brush up and I can't join a club right now so I need something small to fly in a small area I have near my house.
I do have a 3D type design FFF foam plane that had built up before I quit flying and I bought the stuff to gear it but I'm not real confident I can keep it out of the trees in my flying area even though I do daily practice on the sim.
I'm also in the middle of building a 450 sized heli. I can hover them and that's about it right now.
Anyway, this little plane looks like it may be just what I'm looking for to fly and do the needed brush up. I've spent all my money on what I have at this point so I'll have to save up but I look forward to trying this. I love bipes.
Jun 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
For us He died, in me He lives

Can't wait no longer!

That's it Magic! I have day dreamed about the little 26 incher in my back yard long enough. I am gonna get me the 10 g Motor and I already have a couple noname 3.6g servo's. I will also get me some 3mm depron as well. I am also experimenting with an ultralight 4 oz Smart Dart that may get first dibbs on the servo's. Father's Day is a comin & daddy wants HC monies!
What servo's would you recommend if I have to buy 2 new ones?

Also, I see the fuse on the original is the 6mm. I'm only gonna buy the 3mm. Does it really need the 6mm's thickness in the fuse? I am assuming for needed strength. would it be ok to just double up the 3mm or even just make the fuse out of FFF?

Any words O wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thx for a great BYOB!
Jimmy

Quick Reply