May 15, 2009, 11:01 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
You're welcome sir - please post a few pics when you've got it done! (And ideally, video if you can... )
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2009, 12:31 PM
If it flies I love it!
magic612, Thank you. I've got other projects in the works right now, but I will definitely be making this one!
May 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsal
magic612, Thank you.
You're most welcome. It's my pleasure to share back with the community of scratchbuilders that have given me so much.

Quote:
I've got other projects in the works right now
I know how that is. I've got about 3 or 4 in the works right now. Seems like they're all being worked on simultaneously, too!

Quote:
I will definitely be making this one!
I look forward to seeing your finished version - please post some pics when you do get it done.
May 18, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Magic612, thanks for great design and nice build photos.
I built one this past Saturday but it was way too windy to test fly until this morning, Monday (holiday here in Canada). I try to get a simple build done every holiday weekend if the weather is not too great to fly.

I used 5 mm foamboard from the dollar store and hot glue for everything. The all up weight without batt came to 3.5 oz and with batt its around 4.6 oz or so. Mine is not nearly as neat looking as yours so no pics yet (maybe after I decorate a bit).

I used the hobby city 10 gram motor but I rewound it to 22 turns as opposed to original 20 turns. I broke one of the original wires getting the motor off the tail of a small heli so decided to rewind. The original wind jobs was very messy so it was easy to get an extra 2 winds using same gauge wire (about 29 gauge I think). I have wound more than a few CD rom and LRK/dLRK stators but this was by far the smallest. I wanted to lower the kv a bit anyway.

I test flew with a 5 x 3 gws but it flew much better on 6 x 3. I put just a touch of down thrust. Motor was not even warm after full flight.
I did find that the CG location was more sensitive than other small planes I have built so if you build one perhaps take your time adjusting CG just mm's at a time. I used common sense 2s 360 ma batt and an hxt about the same capacity. I used hxt-500 servos which seem to suite this size plane very well. I like mounting the servos under the foam with control horn protruding through.

I may build a larger one with blue wonder as I have a few those sitting on shelf unused. I also have few of the 5 gram motors and some very thin depron so a smaller version may be good to try.

Once batts are recharged time for some more flights.

Gary
May 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Not having a 10 g motor is killing me! Magic, I can't stop thinking how perfect this plane would be for what I need. This is such a nice build.
Lets see.... my birthday is in July... hmmm, wonder how many beer cans in the till?
May 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Gary - First, thank you! Great info about your build, and thanks for sharing it. 4.6 ounces is an ideal AUW. I've actually got a hair of down thrust built into the plans, but for some reason mine flies better at zero.

You're right about the CG - it is a bit sensitive. Placed a good ways forward, it'll fly level and not much more. Too far back, and it's quite twitchy. But in the right spot, it's fun!

That is interesting about the lower KV rewinding and the larger prop. I wonder if that would allow the BYOB to fly even slower...?

I have a Blue Wonder sitting around, and should probably get the larger one built to test it, but I've been working on my "Dark Angel" IPS powered canard plane, as well as an "windy day" flyer. Hopefully some other folks will report on how the FFF/Blue Wonder version works.

Jimmy - They're only $8! You gotta pick one of those up when you get the chance. Great little motor; perfect for this plane. Hope you're able to get one soon!
May 18, 2009, 05:41 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic612

That is interesting about the lower KV rewinding and the larger prop. I wonder if that would allow the BYOB to fly even slower...?
Oh Yeah... Lower Kv, bigger prop to wash air over the surfaces for low speed control. My Avatar, with 35 inch ws and 12 ounces, will slow to a walk speed without high alpha, gotta love these Biplanes.

I have always built with EPP, this little guy has me curious about building my first Dupron bipe. Great project!

Ron
May 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
That's what I was thinkin' Ron! Bigger prop, slower flight. One of these days I'll have to learn how to rewind my motors.

It's a cool little plane - if you do build it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
May 20, 2009, 07:58 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Good gosh - what a difference a good battery makes!! I built this plane while using an old, worn out 500mAh battery that I've had for probably two years now. I just got in the mail - today - 360mAh and 460mAh batteries.

What a difference!

I shouldn't even be flying this plane today - the winds are going anywhere from 4mph up to 16mph gusts according to our local weather station. But has a little wind ever stopped me before? Nah! (Well, maybe when I was first learning to fly, but not much since then.) Amazing the difference a battery makes - even with some of those gusts, I could still pull the little bugger up from wind-induced nosedives and down from wind-induced updrafts.

Granted, I didn't fly til the batteries were depleted, because I wanted to make sure I didn't smash the airframe - admittedly, I did have a close call or two. But it really handled most of the wind surprisingly well - I'd say up to 10 mph it was doing alright, albeit with quite a bit of active "sticks" from me, but still...

Not bad for a 4.5 ounce plane.
May 20, 2009, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Granted, I didn't fly til the batteries were depleted, because I wanted to make sure I didn't smash the airframe - admittedly, I did have a close call or two. But it really handled most of the wind surprisingly well - I'd say up to 10 mph it was doing alright, albeit with quite a bit of active "sticks" from me, but still...

Not bad for a 4.5 ounce plane.
I am building a Ghost Bipe here soon, it is in the 4.5 ounce range, I am not even going to take it out side in any wind.

Fresh lipos are always a happy thing.
May 22, 2009, 08:40 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
I am building a Ghost Bipe here soon, it is in the 4.5 ounce range, I am not even going to take it out side in any wind.
I told myself that I'd only fly this plane in calm conditions. That didn't last long...

Quote:
Fresh lipos are always a happy thing.
Amen to that!!!

Say, has anyone built the larger, FFF 32.5" wingspan version? I've been working on other projects, so I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm curious as to how it flies with a Blue Wonder.
May 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
I told myself that I'd only fly this plane in calm conditions. That didn't last long... .
Well...The Ghost bipe being skelton frame Dupron, covered in ceran wrap, being Full Fuse with a 32 inch span..... It is like a Kite with no string and doesnt take a hit very well.

Quote:
Say, has anyone built the larger, FFF 32.5" wingspan version? I've been working on other projects, so I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm curious as to how it flies with a Blue Wonder.
If the weight stays down it would be a great flyer. I put your plan into Cad so I could scale it around a bit and make a full set of plans. I do have a couple projects on the table that need finished, 56 inch Edge 540T Full fuse scratched from EPP and the Ghost bipe Arf. Then I see a couple sizes of the BYOB in my future, may be a EPP version later on.

Ron
May 25, 2009, 08:51 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
Well...The Ghost bipe being skelton frame Dupron, covered in ceran wrap, being Full Fuse with a 32 inch span..... It is like a Kite with no string and doesnt take a hit very well.
Yeah, that's a bit larger than the original sized BYOB. I can see why you'd definitely require the calm conditions!

One thing that of course is a challenge with this plane to anyone with tall trees in their backyard is this possibility...

(I did get it down okay.)
May 25, 2009, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Yeah, that's a bit larger than the original sized BYOB. I can see why you'd definitely require the calm conditions!

One thing that of course is a challenge with this plane to anyone with tall trees in their backyard is this possibility...

(I did get it down okay.)
Looks like your mind knew the trees were bad but your thumbs just had to find out why. I had an elm reach out and grab my first i3D in its 3rd flight, I know I was no where near that tree, it came after me.
May 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Thread OP
Quote:
Looks like your mind knew the trees were bad but your thumbs just had to find out why. I had an elm reach out and grab my first i3D in its 3rd flight, I know I was no where near that tree, it came after me.
Yup - I know exactly what you mean!!!

My wife and I actually did quite a bit of judicious tree-limb trimming a few weeks ago, and I've got a fair amount of flying space. But where that one "reached out and grabbed" the BYOB, there are two limbs that are a bit high, and in a location that (I think) when they fall, they could fulcrum towards my garage window. (I don't want to replace a 3' x 4' piece of glass, much less clean it up.)

Hopefully when my parents are here next later this week, I'll tie a rope to the limb and have the three of them pull on the limb once I get it cut, and it won't fall towards the garage. That'll easily give me another 20 feet of flying ceiling in that section of the yard.

Then if I get anything stuck, it'll be because a wind gust took it up to 70 or 80 feet, and at that point it will require patience and lots more wind!!

Quick Reply