Mar 06, 2010, 04:02 PM
Works like a charm, thanx.

I used my own RS232-usb converter, with a FT232RL chip.

Too bad LogView is not fully translated from German.
What other program can I use to generate graphs?
Last edited by Twinsen01; Mar 07, 2010 at 02:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2010, 03:53 PM
Using the information previously presented here, I ordered the following parts from Digikey. After installing them into a Turnigy Accucell 8150, the USB port works. Anyone who is adept at soldering smt components can do this conversion. The 28VQFN device would be difficult to hand solder, but since only 10 of the 28 pins are used it isn't that difficult. I didn't include the led components, since there are communications status indicators in Logview.
Qty PN Description Price
1 336-1160-ND IC USB-TO-UART BRIDGE 28VQFN $3.01
1 LM393MXFSCT-ND IC COMPARATOR DUAL DIFF 8-SOP 0 $0.61
1 H2959CT-ND CONN RECEPT MINI USB2.0 5POS $1.10
2 311-10KGRTR-ND Resistor 10 kOhm $0.64/10
1 311-100KHRTR-ND Resistor 100 kOhm $0.67/10
3 311-10GRTR-ND Resistor 10 Ohm $0.64/10
2 311-3.3kGRCT-ND Resistor 3.3 kOhm $0.69/10
1 311-1369-2-ND Capacitor .1 uf $0.15/10
1 LLSD103ADICT-ND Diode, Shottkey miniMELF $0.61
Nov 04, 2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1
Ordered this part. Going to try this mod just for fun. Thanks for this post.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7348
Hi Galland,

How did that USB hookup work? Did it just plug in? Does software come with it? I was thinking about getting one of those but wasn't sure if it would work or not. I presume that you didn't need to mod anything, just plug it in and run the software, right?

Thanks for the advice,

Bob
Jan 19, 2011, 02:39 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
I tried this mod. but I'm not getting it to work.
As the usb-serial I'm using a hextronik key that should work, but the red tx/rx led becomes always lit in low light and
on the serial port I get no traffic.

I've used two smd resistors. 103 and 104 I'm just not sure about the diode, if I'm correct it's jsut there to prevent
polarity inversion right? I can remove it jut for testing.

Update:
I've measured the voltage on the 3 pins and the GND seems to be on the opposite side that I see refered before.
Like so:
{Power PLUG} [Pin1-~5v] [Pin2-~1.6v] [Pin3-GND]

NOTE: Prob fixed... I had to change on one end of the cable the red and white pins.
Scheme:

WHITE<------>RED
RED<-------->WHITE
BLACK<------>BLACK
Last edited by IceWind; Jan 27, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Jan 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Did I make the A Main?

Dynam Supermate DC6 ($24) free shipping

I recently bought the Dynam DC6 charger here:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

It didn't come with the USB cord, but does claim that it supports PC link, but doesn't specify what "optional" cable to purchase.

Do you think this one will work?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7348

I'm hoping that I don't have to do anything special, but it does give some comfort to see others with similar chargers already exploiting the functionality offered for more expensive models
Jan 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
Gentlemen,

I have purchased this charger late last year. I would like to be able to log data about my batteries!

I opened mine up to check and see the state of the USB components.. but.. I was unable to find anything.. I did take a few pictures..

http://p34r.org/_media/rc:chargers:dsc_0092.jpg
http://p34r.org/_media/rc:chargers:dsc_0097.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what to do.. I haven't actually tested to see if USB works or not.. (due to having no cable) but would I be able to tell if I set the mode to USB and then get the multimeter out?

Edit: Okay, I have 5V on the left pin, a very dynamic number on the middle pin (it was bouncing all over the place) and GND on the right pin.
Last edited by Kamu; Jan 27, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Jan 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Kamu,

Try and connect it to a serial-usb connector. I'm using one from Hextronik that I had to program ESC's.
Check my scheme above I had to swap the wires on one side of the servo cable for it to work. The TX signal is on the middle on the charger.
Jan 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
Kamu,

Try and connect it to a serial-usb connector. I'm using one from Hextronik that I had to program ESC's.
Check my scheme above I had to swap the wires on one side of the servo cable for it to work. The TX signal is on the middle on the charger.
Novel idea. I also have a Bus Pirate that I will try and hook up once I get some cables and connectors for it.
Jan 28, 2011, 07:17 AM
Works! I am able to get data into the bus pirate. Now to parse and plot it
Feb 18, 2011, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareklew
There's some confusion as whether it is possible to connect this charger to PC for logging ... The original design used external USB to RS232 TTL-level converter though.

This converter (minus wrapping) looks like this:

(author unknown, I found it through google and can't find the original thread it was posted in anymore).....

Greets!
Marek
Hi,
Please,
Know anyone, what function The comparator LM393 is?
No LM393 in original CP2102 datasheet.

Victronix
Feb 18, 2011, 02:26 AM
You can get the datasheet easily for it.

LM393: http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM393.html#Overview
Feb 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
You can get the datasheet easily for it.

LM393: http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM393.html#Overview
Sorry,
I have this datasheet, but what does it do in this converter
Feb 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victronix
Sorry,
I have this datasheet, but what does it do in this converter
Maybe to "clean" and square input signals. I don't see any other reason for it to be there.

Willy.
Mar 04, 2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
There's some confusion as whether it is possible to connect this charger to PC for logging charge/discharge data or not.
[...]
Greets!
Marek
1st of all... THANK YOU MAREK.
I own a charger by Hobbyking model ECO-SIX (same as Turnigy, Imax, etc...). I've tried your mod and it works!!!

Now, I've a question.
Connecting serial cable between charger and USB-to-TTL adapter, sometimes I've an hardware reset of my PC. Maybe my two switching power supplies dislike each other
I'd like to put an optocoupler between charger and USB adapter.
I saw you put a resistor partition to limit tension/current to USB adapter.

Do you think it's possible to replace resistor partition with a lower value resistor (220 Ohm) and zener diode (3.3V)?
This way I can:
- connect USB adapter directly without damage
or
- drive optocoupler input LED.

Do you know what is the maximum current I can drain from the charger microcontroller serial output?

Thank you (and sorry for my bad English).

Willy.
Mar 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Quote:
None. Re-read the thread, between DB9 and charger you need MAX232 in it's standard application (see MAX232 datasheet).

Marek
Is there any way we can connect the usb-rs232 converter with db9 directly to the charger and pc?