May 06, 2009, 05:40 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

How would I set this up for proper 3d?

Hello,

I have this plane from a friend as a gift, it comes with an outrunner already, and apparently it can hover on 80% throttle with that setup.

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...?ProductID=106

this is the motor it came with,

WM KM0283010 Specs
Type: Brushless Outrunner
Number of cells: Li-Po 3s
Weight: 60g
Max Constant Current: 15A
Max Burst (15 sec): 20A
Max Power(watts): 180W
Shaft diameter: 3 mm
Motor diameter: 28 mm

here is a vid of it flying stock,

Melting Ep - The World Models (3 min 10 sec)

So how would you recommend me setting this plane up to hover on 50% throttle?

Thanks,
Edward
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
i am interested also as they sell them locally but never seen one flying
May 06, 2009, 06:42 AM
Team 3DHS
I'm not sure we understand your question.

If it's not powered enough, then you need a bigger motor, OR move up to a bigger propeller. But make sure the motor, ESC, and battery can handle the extra load.
May 06, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
its a very good looking airframe, i like the world models kits, this would be my first and it seems promising. Sort of wish there was a cowl there and the fuselage is thin its just too big, seems quite out of proportion to the plane it is way too high.

I haven't seen much of it else where thats the only vid I've seen but it is sold around the place. Parts seem readily available too which is good.

I looked inside it and the finish is alright, they definitely put enough glue to stick it together, made a few spills but nothing big. Unfortunately the kit I got didn't come with tail gear (which it should have) but I couldn't complain to my friend and he said he bought it a long time ago so returns are a little late. But I can get a few easily.

I've already got a few hs-55's to stick in it and a 20a esc.

I'm thinking of doing a review for it actually here at rcgroups, start off with the stock setup and then do another bit with a better motor, cause 180w max weighing 60g is quite terrible I think, but the vid looks alright.

Edward
May 06, 2009, 06:55 AM
Thread OP
Sorry to confuse, what I mean is that I don't know much about 3d aerobatics (more a F3A person) but I'd like to get this plane 3d'ing properly. I know the original motor won't do it, but I was guessing that I'd need a much smaller lipo? and I if I just got a bigger motor that wouldn't necessarily make it 3d better.
May 06, 2009, 07:02 AM
Team 3DHS
In general you need 150 watts / lb, or most like around 200 watts / lb to get good power.

You probably need a 2.5 - 3 oz motor with a KV around 1000-1200 and use lipo in the size range 1300-2000 3S. That'll get you to around 300 watts, properly propped .
May 06, 2009, 06:22 PM
Fully Sending It
I would use a 3 cell 1800 mah pack on that plane, only for the slightly lighter weight. Also, a motor with about 200 watts per lb. on a 10-12" prop would od nicely. The Park480 from Eflite would be a perfect match to that plane
May 06, 2009, 08:24 PM
ummm if it hovers at 80% throttle i would just fly it like that. I would say hovering at half throttle is overkill. If you want more pullout go up a size in prop and down a size in pitch
May 06, 2009, 10:13 PM
Fully Sending It
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212
ummm if it hovers at 80% throttle i would just fly it like that. I would say hovering at half throttle is overkill. If you want more pullout go up a size in prop and down a size in pitch
You will soon learn that having that power for 3D flight is essential. 3D planes can get into trouble quick, so you need that power to get out.

And with 3D flying, there isn't such thing as "too much" or "overkill" or "overpowered" in 3D flight
May 06, 2009, 10:34 PM
lol... i only fly 3d. I think i wouldve learned that already. funny though.
May 07, 2009, 12:55 AM
How many planes is too many?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212
lol... i only fly 3d. I think i wouldve learned that already. funny though.
I guess it's a personal preference thing. I can do better 3D flying with more power. I'd hate to barely have enough power to pull out vertically, especially late in the flight when the battery is not delivering as much punch as at the start of the flight. 50% hover or thereabouts is what I like most and I wouldn't be happy with 80%. I'm with xpress on this one.
May 07, 2009, 01:28 AM
The better you are at 3D the less power you need. Best to have 200 watts/lb to start with. Its only the best who can make do with 130 watts/lb. And the more you know a plane the less power you need. As I'm getting to know my Slick I'm using less and less throttle, rarely go above 3/4 throttle for anything. But then it's over powered
May 07, 2009, 01:31 AM
Just a thought what batteries are you using, that can make a difference, the low resistance ones give burst power readily. When I changed to the cheap brands, Loongmax, Flightmax, Rhino etc I had much more burst power.
May 07, 2009, 02:24 AM
Believe it or not I get the most power out of flightmax lipos. Its wierd cause they are crazy cheap. Although they are also the only lipos i've had that the balance wires have come off of twice! Easy fix though. I love flightmax.
May 07, 2009, 03:22 AM
How many planes is too many?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
The better you are at 3D the less power you need. Best to have 200 watts/lb to start with. Its only the best who can make do with 130 watts/lb. And the more you know a plane the less power you need. As I'm getting to know my Slick I'm using less and less throttle, rarely go above 3/4 throttle for anything. But then it's over powered
It has more to do with your style of flying than your level of experience. It's also more about thrust than power as some props give more speed, some more thrust, some more efficiency for similar thrust. I don't totally agree with the xx watts/lb system as it ignores the differences between "speed" props and "thrust" props which can use the same amount of power. An efficient setup using 130w/lb may be better for 3D than an incorrectly chosen 200w/lb setup. If you've got the wrong prop on the motor, you're wasting potential. Thrust to weight ratio works better for 3D than power to weight in my opinion.

I want lots of thrust so that I can do things that are simply not possible on lower thrust setups. You might fly a style that allows you to get by with a lower thrust ratio but I simply don't. More thrust means more fun for me but I don't go overboard fitting heavy gear.

Personally I think the more experienced a pilot you are the less power you might _use_ if you choose to fly smoothly.

BTW I learnt to 3D on a foamy with only 110w/lb and I could 3D it well. I'm a lot more experienced at 3D now and I run the same plane at about 200w/lb. It's much more fun on the new setup. Some like excessive power, some don't seem to mind going without.

Quick Reply