Best Memories of SEFF '09 - RC Groups
May 05, 2009, 04:24 PM
End of an Era.....
Discussion

Best Memories of SEFF '09

OK everybody, let's see what was the best part of SEFF for you. It could be the new stuff, camping at the field for the first time, good deals from vendors, just anything that stands out that was the best part of SEFF for you.

For me it was getting to see my "across the pond" best friends, Tjakko and Roland from The Netherlands. Roland finally brought along his son and daughter Mitch and Laurel and they had a blast. If you have ever met Tjakko and Roland you know they are nuts AND can cook some good Dutch food.

The whole Hodgehound gang adopted these guys when they arrived for their first time here carrying only a hardshell golf case( 4 planes inside) and a suitcase. That was 4 yrs. ago and now they are part of the Hodgehound family, even coming in the fall to the Hodges Hobbies All Electric Fly In a time or two.

The only downside to this SEFF was that my wife had to take Roland to the hospital for what some thought to be a spider bite to his leg. Turns out that he got eat up by skeeters and had a scratch that got quickly infected. The Dr. gave him some antibiotics and cream to take care of it but he missed out on a whole day of SEFF because of it. Got word from his son today that it is better now.

OK enough of my rambling!
What is the best part of SEFF for you?????????
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2009, 04:31 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
The RiteWing crew taking care of us at dinner time, talk about a great group of guys! Made me realize it's making friends and sharing stories (and perhaps a little moonshine) that makes the event just as much as the flying...

Jack
May 05, 2009, 04:35 PM
End of an Era.....
WHOA Jack said moonshine! Pass the jar!!!!!!!!!
May 05, 2009, 04:47 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
WHOA Jack said moonshine! Pass the jar!!!!!!!!!
Ooops, I meant "shoe shine", they had a kid cleaning up our sneaks at nite ;-\
May 05, 2009, 04:51 PM
I would have to say that it was my first time to seff, and I only spent one day there. I was suprised to see so many flyers and planes out there. After being out of the hobby for so many years It made me realize how much I've missed. A few months back I decided to get back into the hobby. I am glad I did...
May 05, 2009, 04:53 PM
End of an Era.....
LOL we had some at our Pop Curtis fly in here. Manta1 got lit up and started going "hey, he said ______!!! Pass the jar!!!!! so now it's an ongoing joke at HH! LOL
May 05, 2009, 05:21 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
My best part was firing my DA50 Sun. after putting it BACK on Sat night!@!

NA. The Best part of the whole SEFF thing ... IT's the people!! Just Great friends.. and some are more than friends.. More like FAMILY!!!
Tjakko and Roland, ALL the Hounds! It's just like a HUGE family reunion!

Thanks guys for making this possible!!

PS. I may need to get 9 ribeyes next year!!!
May 05, 2009, 05:51 PM
End of an Era.....
Tru Dat!!!!!!!!!!!
May 05, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hodgehound # 3
I think we need a bigger grill!
May 05, 2009, 06:32 PM
The SEFF Staff kicking ass...

Tent camping was awesome. I won't ever stay in a hotel again for SEFF unless we get a forcast for 6 straight days of rain.

Evenings around the firepit down at the RiteWing compound.

Andy W. and I really roughing it with the cedar plank Sockeye salmon, cold beer and appetizers.

Low Country Boil with the Atlanta Hobby Crew and ........cold beer.

Sky Diving

Noon Demos

Seeing a lot of our sponsors and spending time with them at the sponsor and staff dinner.

Enjoying the fact that the camp shower actually worked after all the work Matt and I put into the thing.

The weather....

The Thunder Scooter....

I just wish there was a fairy that would come clean all my stuff and put it away.

There's tons more...but I'll save it for a "thank you" post.
May 05, 2009, 06:37 PM
Chillin till SEFF
I'm with No Shoes. It's all about the people and it truly does feel like a huge family reunion more every time. Was great to see every one of the repeats as well as the newbies (to me). Missed SEFF as soon as I drove away and started looking forward to next year soon after.

Favorite moment was when my baby girl witnessed her little balsa hand launch hit a freak thermal and make a truly phenominal flight over the vendor area and into the Hodge manors back yard. She is still talking about it.
Last edited by bildo baggins; May 05, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
May 05, 2009, 07:17 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Too many to list and no way to pick the best. A few of mine would be....

The moment Laines SRT lifted and you knew this time it was going to make it, and hearing the roar of the crowd when it did. You couldn't help not giving out a big RAHHH! and hell yeah when it took flight.

Actually having one almost perfect flight in the LMR competition. 11:58 with the landing bonus. OH and watching the Gross bros and their tiny ascent spected out.

Being invited to the SEFF sponsors diner. It was very good food and just the fact we got to hang with all the vendors and sponsors was extremely cool.

Being invited to eat with the Hodge Hounds multiple times! What a great group of people! You just can't put into words the effort these guys put into feeding a large crew and how welcome they make you feel.

The Ritewing Camp. We had a great setup with a ton of EZ-ups and great people. CK and Jamie cooked some awesome food. IF I ever find myself on Death row, CK, Jamie and the hodge hounds along with the Dutch dogs will have to cook my last meal. I must say I am very proud to be invited to stay with the crew down on the East side, and couldn't feel more at home hanging out with that crowd.

Flying my Ritewing D-lite with the Ritewing crew during extreme speed. Crazy rush and lots of fun.

Show listeners coming up and saying thanks for ATTF. That never gets old knowing people listen and appreciate it.

Higher Plane Productions film festival. I have to say I was shocked when my pic came on the screen and a sizable roar of DIGGS was heard. I was in the back all alone cuz i got there late, and totally didn't expect that. If there would have been light, you would have seen me blush.

Listening to Jim Graham play the steel guitar around the ritewing campfire while the apple moonshine was passed around many many times.

Meeting Jamie Burke for the first time after doing the show with him for almost 2 years. Great guy and it was fun to watch him at his first ever fly-in event.

Combat, The big one after the Noon demo and the night time stuff with CK and Tim. My super cub didn't like it, nor did my mega fly, but the sacrifice was well worth it to me!

But the people and staff of SEFF made this one really stand out. I have been to the last three of them and all I can say is they keep getting better and better. I was amazed at how SMOOTH this one went, Jeff should be extremely proud of all the staff. And like has already been mentioned, it is like meeting family for a reunion.

Look forward to seeing all of you next year and having a drink and chowing on some food again. Hope to make it to Joe Nall, but the SUV had issues on the way home. If repairs don't wipe me out, I will make it for at least a day.

I could go on and on, but those are a few of the highlights for me.

Thanks to everyone!

Diggs
May 05, 2009, 07:23 PM
aka Ranger Bill
My fondest memories, topping the hill and seeing Hodges again for the first time since last year and everything else until we saw it in the rear view mirror on the way out.

Besides that I guess my home cooked breakfast of fresh farm eggs (that my buddy gave to me to take on the trip) along with bacon and such with my Son in the camper each morning. The times I spend with him are far and beyond better than any high from anything else available on this planet.

Spending Friday night and deep into Saturday morning under the camper awning solving all the worlds problems with Barry, aka Tomokabear. Between the two of us and a few adult beverages we had just about everything solved. We should have taken notes because we did not remember a whole lot of it the next day!

Lunch with Ric and the Staff of SEFF on Wednesday, (thanks for the invite!) LCB with the Hodgehounds on Thursday, Grilling out the steaks with my online buds on Friday, and the BBQ on Saturday... so much for the diet...

Meeting Laine and seeing him fly the wing, may it rest in pieces, Man that was fun while it lasted!!!

Meeting more of the folks that I talk to online just about every day of the year. Putting faces to the names is priceless.

Man I can't wait for next year!
May 05, 2009, 08:30 PM
Member 120mph Club
The people and staff... absolutely amazing meeting so many from RCG and others that are not on here. Laine getting airborne, totally happy for him!!
May 05, 2009, 09:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Being with friends at SEFF. Guys that just happened to pitch their EZ-UPs next to mine last year are good friends and welcome companions this year.

Rite Wing Nation - What a nice bunch of folks. Class Act in every way. I was able to light up their lives with a few LEDs and they lite up mine with great food and drink.

SEFF Vendors - Lots of great advice. It was great to see their new products and then be able to talk to the pilots about the planes.

Best of all, the Fayette Flyers that worked so hard all week so we could enjoy ourselves at SEFF. They did one whale of a good job if you judge it by the good time I had.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28