nice!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2010, 10:30 AM
GILL
Absolutly beautiful, nice work.
Dec 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
Thread OP

More Details

The biggest hurtle to jump over was the mast. The mast assembly was made up from brass tubing with a 5/32 steel wire core. Fittings were made up from brass so that the main sail could be raised and lowered easily. A single sail winch servo controls both sails.

Once all the equipment was in the boat went into the bathtub and ballasted to the water line using 15 oz. lead ingots. Then the ingots were weighed and an equal amount of burd shot epoxied into the bottom of the hull. And withy that, the Theodora R is ready to sail.
Dec 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
Thread OP

It's Off to the Pond

As with any new design, you just never know how it will work. Being as there is no external keel I was really concerned about the stability of the boat under sail. I also wondered about the Speed 400 motor on 6 cells having adequate power to run what turned out to be an 18 lb. boat!

On maiden day, we found that all of the concerns were unfounded. The TR ran beautifully, and was every bit as sound and stable as her full scale counterpart. And in the end, has turned out to run well beyond any expectations I might have had. And with that, it's great to see the TR under sail again -- even if it's in only 1:12 scale.....

PAT
Dec 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC
Absolutly beautiful, nice work.
Gil, Thanks much for the kind words. It's funny, I've build a LOT of models in tha last 50-odd years, but the TR was no doubt the most challenging build of my carreer either as a hobby or professionally. But in the end, the rewards were far greater then the efforts getting there.

PAT
Dec 22, 2010, 02:01 PM
Growing up is overrated
Beautiful work and an equally beautiful result Pat. I really enjoy the numerous talents you have, model airplane designer and builder, model ship designer and builder, motorcycle rebuilder, ect. You should add a link to this thread in the Scale Sailboat section.
Mike
Dec 23, 2010, 01:00 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Very nice.
Dec 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
Very, Very, nice!
Dec 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Darn nice looking sheet boat. Almost makes me want to add to the build list.
Dec 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
Nice going PAT!!! You Be The Man!!! That is one slick looking sail boat. In case I missed it, did you have to make the drawings for the project or did you have a set of plans to work from.

Again nice job!!!
Dec 23, 2010, 07:34 PM
She really came out nice, Pat!!! Great job! you've been missed down here in the boats section!
Dec 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
What a Great looking model!!!
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey

Quick Reply