May 03, 2009, 03:19 PM
Baa baa baa *thump!*
Discussion

I've seen it, I've flown it. My impressions on the new PZ Mustang

So there I was at SEFF, carrying my trusty T-28 to the line, when I saw John Redman flying the new Mustang. I had talked with him and Dave about this plane several times over the weekend, so he knew me.

I said to him "It's really not fair that you are sitting here flying this new Mustang when it's not available for the rest of us yet."

His reply? "You want to fly it? Here..."

No shite. I flew it.

But first, what I saw on the plane. This is from looking at it, and (like I said before) spending a lot of time talking to the Horizon guys.

The first picture below is just an overall shot. Yup - it's a Mustang and yup - it's Z foam. It looks nice, but this is not a plane you get because you want perfect scale realism. This is a plane you get because you want something that will look good in the air, but more importantly, fly good.

The second pic shows the inside of the fuselage. Note that there is a space pre-molded for the rudder servo.

The 3rd shows the lower part of the rudder. To add rudder control, you would need to cut out around the counter balance, and cut the small pieces of foam on each side of the lower portion. All that is required is an exacto knife and 5 minutes. The hole for the push rod is in the fuselage, and with the PnP model, all required hardware (except the servo) is included.

The fourth pic shows the underside, including the plastic skid plates, and the spar.

Picture 5 shows the battery install. It is pretty much just like the Corsair (but without that pesky screw poking through ).

Finally picture 6 shows the wing. Notice the washout, as well as the airfoil shape - semi-symmetrical near the root and flat bottomed towards the tip.

Talking with Dave, a lot of the design decisions for this plane were to keep the price below $200. Thus the lack of a rudder servo and the 27MHz radio. To keep the price down, they also went with a smaller battery. To get decent flight times with the smaller battery, they propped down and used a smaller ESC. So a 1350 mah battery is providing 10 minute flights.

Now, my opinions:

The 18 amp ESC? Whoop-dee-do. I will probably change it out for a 30 amp before the first flight. This was a big concession for the price point, but minor for those of us that want speed. I would say most folks on this site have a spare ESC or five floating around. Or, grab the ESC out of your Corsair or T-28 to throw in the Mustang, and get a bigger one so you can put a big honking motor on the older planes. Put a 30 amp ESC and an 11x7 APC on the Mustang and she will be a rocket!

The 1350 mah battery? Again, this will probably never fly in my mustang. It will work great in my Super Cub though. The Mustang will hold an 1800 or 2200 lipo no problem.

Rudder - if you want it, it is a piece of cake to add it. 5 minutes and a spare servo and you are in business.

27MHz radio - this is only on the RTF. Honestly, who is going to buy this RTF except someone new to the hobby? Those of us that are into the Parkzone planes are going to already have a Spektrum radio.

Landing gear - I love the gear on my Trojan. Touch and Goes with that plane are a blast. But on my Corsair - I belly flop it. It just seems to fly a lot better without the gear. I see this one as better without gear. I imagine someone will eventually figure out how to put retracts on her.

Finally - I got to fly her. Now, I'm a hack in the air to begin with, but with someone else's plane, I am taking it easy. So I stayed high and didn't do anything crazy. Loops and rolls were fine. (John Redman loved doing the inverted low passes - no way I was trying that). Speed was OK, but not great. Again, it will be wicked easy to get a large increase in speed on this bird.

What really sold me on this plane was slowing her way down. I had maybe a quarter throttle, and the elevator all the way back and she wouldn't break. She would try to lower her nose a bit, but that was it. AND, plodding along with max elevator and slow speed, I still had roll authority. She was just rock freaking solid.

So, my bottom line - am I going to get this plane? YOU BET I AM!!! I think she is just an amazing value. A Z-foam 'Stang like everyone wanted, with a very good rx, easily made into a very fast plane, and rock solid. Backing out the $50 rx, you are getting an airframe, motor, servos, and ESC for only $129. Wow.

John and Dave- thanks guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to talk with me about this plane everytime I came by. And the chance to fly it - WOW!!! Can't wait to see what is coming up next. I have a couple ideas but I promised I wouldn't say anything.

I will say to everyone here - If you are not stoked on this Mustang, give it another look. I think she is going to be a real winner. I'm going to be planning my paint scheme for her, because there are going to be a lot of them out there.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2009, 03:43 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
27MHz radio - this is only on the RTF. Honestly, who is going to buy this RTF except someone new to the hobby? Those of us that are into the Parkzone planes are going to already have a Spektrum radio.
Not neccessarily. I love PZ airplanes and want this one, I would have liked a RX ready version but I understand they tie it to their brand name of radio gear. No sweat, I can always replace it.
May 03, 2009, 03:49 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Not neccessarily. I love PZ airplanes and want this one, I would have liked a RX ready version but I understand they tie it to their brand name of radio gear. No sweat, I can always replace it.
They do have a RX Ready version.

It's called the BLIND-N-PLAY (BNF).

Part Number: PKZ1880

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1880
May 03, 2009, 03:52 PM
Account closed
John,

Thanks for that wonderful report from SEFF!
May 03, 2009, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000

To avoid any confusion... the BNF (Bind N Fly) includes an installed AR500 Rx (and a battery and charger). Just bind it to your Tx (DSM2 Full Range) and fly.

At some point, the replacement airframe (arf'ish) will appear.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1870

Have Fun,
David
Last edited by dribbe; May 03, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
May 03, 2009, 03:59 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Quote:

That's what I was thinking and just swap out the RX. I would imagine then that for BNF the servos are 3 wire not 5 as in RTF? When I get mine I will give someone my RX who can use it. Where I fly I there is really no need for me to have 2.4 so I just don't bother to switch.
May 03, 2009, 04:00 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
To avoid any confusion... the BNF (Bind N Fly) includes an installed AR500 Rx (and a battery and charger. Just bind it to your Tx (DSM2 Full Range) and fly.

At some point, the replacement airframe (arf'ish) will appear.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1870

Have Fun,
David
Confusion? Sounds like one of those KUN FU movies

Hey, I did not think my post was confusing but, please go to my thread as I thought I captured all the versions that this model is coming in.

Please go to:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1042799
May 03, 2009, 04:02 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
I would imagine then that for BNF the servos are 3 wire not 5 as in RTF? When I get mine I will give someone my RX who can use it. Where I fly I there is really no need for me to have 2.4 so I just don't bother to switch.

See this picture and it answers your question. BNF Version!
May 03, 2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Confusion? Sounds like one of those KUN FU movies

Hey, I did not think my post was confusing but, please go to my thread as I thought I captured all the versions that this model is coming in.

Please go to:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1042799

Above, you said it was receiver ready (GP speak for NO Rx) it includes an Rx.

Have Fun,
David
May 03, 2009, 04:09 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly john
Just having a Spektrum isn't enough. Unfortunately, the whole bind-and-fly concept ignores those of us who are still happy with our DX6 radios, even though it "is" a Spektrum. No biggie though...about the only way I build anymore is from airframe-only ARF.
May 03, 2009, 04:11 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
Above, you said it was receiver ready (GP speak for NO Rx) it includes an Rx.

Have Fun,
David
Thanks! Hope my thread over in the Electric Warbirds section is all right and if not, let me know.

Thanks!
carlos
May 03, 2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1
Just having a Spektrum isn't enough. Unfortunately, the whole bind-and-fly concept ignores those of us who are still happy with our DX6 radios, even though it "is" a Spektrum. No biggie though...about the only way I build anymore is from airframe-only ARF.
Hmmm... The airframe only ARF is on offer, so you guys are not ignored...
(I did say DSM2, not Spektrum).

Have Fun,
David
May 03, 2009, 04:13 PM
Account closed
There you go.....

Various versions of this model to suit almost everyone with various equipment setup thoughts and needs.

Hip Hip Hooray for Park Zone / Horizon Hobby!
May 03, 2009, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Thanks! Hope my thread over in the Electric Warbirds section is all right and if not, let me know.

Thanks!
carlos
Peeked at that one... looks pretty accurate at a glance....

Regards,
David
May 03, 2009, 04:24 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Sweet!! Sorry for not studying the posts and pics better. This is on my get list, in fact I think it will be my very next one as I don't currently have a mustang of any type or brand. STOKED!!!!