May 10, 2009, 06:44 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
Yeah, I did add some grease and the wheels roll smoothly but I did not add enough epoxy on the rims. They are glued good now!
I'll go flying again this evening...

Kip
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2009, 07:34 AM
andy

Golden Eagle Model F-16CJ Build Thread

Golden Eagle Model F-16CJ Build Thread
May 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
I see you use the Tsunami 72 also. It's working great for me...!

Kip
May 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
I just received mine and see that in the instructions there is an option for elevon control. The elevators have very large control surfaces so I am thinking maybe not installing the aileron servos and just using delta mixing on the elevators. Problem is if i go down this road and it doesn't work I'll have a hell of a time trying to fit them afterwards.
May 10, 2009, 09:22 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub
I just received mine and see that in the instructions there is an option for elevon control. The elevators have very large control surfaces so I am thinking maybe not installing the aileron servos and just using delta mixing on the elevators. Problem is if i go down this road and it doesn't work I'll have a hell of a time trying to fit them afterwards.
You may be the "beta" tester here. Personally, I like the redundancy if a servo fails with the aileron set-up.

May I suggest...?
-epoxy the wheels and tires well
-add plastic safe grease to the wheels
-make DAMN sure your electronics are in order before glueing the duct
-mount the canopy frame under the canopy
-if using Spektrum consider using an extension. See pic.
-no bad in-flight habits but avoid power-off landings.

Have fun!

Kip
Last edited by n111kx; May 15, 2009 at 01:30 AM. Reason: removed suggestion to build for aft cg
May 11, 2009, 08:46 PM
EXPERIMENTAL

Confession.

I believe I found the "problem" with the up elevator requirement. I noticed while flying today that when I cut the power I have a significant pitch-up. Thus, I have been flying with down thrust. When installing the nozzle I noticed that it was not in line with the fuselage so I actually rotated it 180 degrees to make it look streamlined (see pic). I was likely intoducing down thrust requiring up elevator. ozzi supercub, let me know how a properly installed nozzle works for you...

Kip

Quote:
Congratulatins onthe successful maiden. Photos look great.
Do you think moving the battery back will negate the need for the up trim?
May 14, 2009, 12:28 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
Well started to go through the parts. This is a very complete kit. I love the little plastic parts. It's like having a cross between a plastic display model and a foam RC model. The finish is beautiful. I'm no expert but it seems quite alot of thought has gone into this design. The steering servo mounts on a little plastic tray that is removable at any time if you want to try handlaunching later on. I'm waiting for my ESC to arrive then its right into the build. The elevators are HUGE and I'm wondering if I can go without the ailerons and just have elevons. There is notes on how to do this in the manual so the manufacturer has obviously thought the same thing.
May 14, 2009, 08:37 AM
EXPERIMENTAL
Cool. Keep us updated. I have two dozen flights on mine now. It likes inverted flight as well as right-side up. Still, my favorite is the f-16 nose high approach followed by a touch and go...

Kip
May 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by n111kx
You may be the "beta" tester here. Personally, I like the redundancy if a servo fails with the aileron set-up.

May I suggest...?
-mount the fan aft for an aft cg
-epoxy the wheels and tires well
-add plastic safe grease to the wheels
-make DAMN sure your electronics are in order before glueing the duct
-mount the canopy frame under the canopy
-if using Spektrum consider using an extension. See pic.
-no bad in-flight habits but avoid power-off landings.

Have fun!

Kip

putting the RX right in front of the big Lipo pack is
a very good way to destroy that RX in a strong impact.
Ask me how I know

May 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Well started to go through the parts. This is a very complete kit. I love the little plastic parts. It's like having a cross between a plastic display model and a foam RC model. The finish is beautiful. I'm no expert but it seems quite alot of thought has gone into this design. The steering servo mounts on a little plastic tray that is removable at any time if you want to try handlaunching later on. I'm waiting for my ESC to arrive then its right into the build. The elevators are HUGE and I'm wondering if I can go without the ailerons and just have elevons. There is notes on how to do this in the manual so the manufacturer has obviously thought the same thing.

I would make the stock duct much smoother, not too rough like
in this photo.

Can you figure out the area of the intake please.
How big it is?
Is there room to add extract landing gears?
May 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
I already thought of that. I have decided to not crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by head-wind
putting the RX right in front of the big Lipo pack is
a very good way to destroy that RX in a strong impact.
Ask me how I know

May 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by n111kx
I already thought of that. I have decided to not crash...

that is a good idea

could you please find out the
aera of the front intake? How Big?

Thanks.
May 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
EXPERIMENTAL
I'm not good at math. Give me a formula...

Also, keep in mind that that there is an "intake augmentation" system with the louvers near the main gear...
Last edited by n111kx; May 14, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
May 15, 2009, 08:54 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
Quote:
Originally Posted by head-wind
that is a good idea

could you please find out the
aera of the front intake? How Big?

Thanks.
How do you do that?