May 01, 2009, 09:46 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Thread OP
Help!

Item for Silent Auction fundraiser

Hello all,

My wife works for a national non profit agency called Girls Inc. As part of their fundraising, they are conducting a silent auction. My wife has donated my time as an RC instructor to teach the person who wins this auction item how to fly.

Here is a more formal description:

For ninety-three years, Girls Incorporated of Worcester has provided a safe and enriching environment for thousands of children. During the summer months, Girls Inc. is committed to providing inner-city youth, who cannot afford the cost of summer camp, the opportunity to attend our quality programs offered at Camp Kinneywood, our 110-acre outdoor camp located in Worcester near the Holden Reservoir, and at Winthrop House, our in-town facility located at 125 Providence Street.

In order to make these summer programs possible for some of the neediest children in Worcester, Girls Inc. holds an annual Girls Celebration at which we raise funds for Girls Inc.’s Summer Camp Scholarship Fund (through a silent auction and Giving Tree) and honor local community leaders that truly exemplify Girls Incorporated’s mission of inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and bold. The 2009 Girls Celebration will be held on Thursday, June 11th, 5:00-7:00 p.m. at Winthrop House. This year’s Honorees are The George F. and Sybil H. Fuller Foundation for whom we will dedicate our updated Aquatics Center, and Dr. Jean King and Linda Cavaioli, recipients of the 2009 Advocate for Girls Awards.

I have the gear to offer flight lessons at a local field via a buddy box. I would really like to include an RTF trainer to go along with it, something like a HZ Mini Super Cub, or HZ Super Cub. I've sent a message to Hobby Lobby and should probably try Hobbyzone directly, but thought I'd ask here first - would I be better off looking for a corporate donation, or a private one? I'm willing to bear some of the expense of the plane, but thought a company might like to get their name attached to a potential new modeler.

Thanks,
Mark
Last edited by Bigster; May 01, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2009, 03:47 PM
What's that button do?
I would say try a corporate donation. But make sure you can prove it's for a valid cause, and don't be offended when they doubt you at first. Like you said, having their name associated with the cause is great PR.
May 01, 2009, 08:57 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Thread OP
No issue with providing validating documents. I sent a quick PM to Hobby Lobby with the quick facts and asking who I should contact. I was ignored. I'll give Hobbyzone a try. I was hoping to avoid canvassing all of the manufacturers, but it looks like that's the way to go.
May 04, 2009, 10:35 AM
Build it, don't buy it
One thing I noticed missing from the OP was the demographic and numbers of those that would be participating in the auction.

Generally, public relations or marketing is the target of your request, get a name and title, and write to a specific person. Try to imagine what the person will be like ie. conservative or liberal (in manner not politic), education, male/female, age etc. Your first sentence has to grab them, it should state what they have to gain immediately, short, to the point and separate from the body of the letter so it stands out. In many requests the first sentence is all that will be read, it is the most important component of the letter.

The letter should be written from their perspective ie. you you you. For example: anything that is phrased such as:

"For ninety-three years, Girls Incorporated of Worcester has provided a safe and enriching environment for thousands of children."

Could be phrased as:

"Your organization will benefit from Girls Incorporated's ninety three year history of celebrity in the Worcester area, providing a safe, enriching environment for thousands of children."

Be active and positive, notice the use of the word will instead of could. Further on the active theme, use present tense and future tense avoid past tense ie. providing rather than provided. Also use words that have a subconscious positive innuendo to them, notice the word celebrity instead of renown or even worse notoriety. Try to avoid adverbs and adjectives, rather find the best possible noun or verb that can stand on its own.

Think of what sets your organization apart from many others requesting donation, in this case the somewhat lost demographic of girls in our hobby, this might just be something marketing has been looking for.

Above all keep it short and easy to read (lots of white space), and above all, it is vital that correct punctuation, and spelling be used; indirectly you will represent their organization if you succeed.

It would be good idea to post here an example for critique and opinion.

Good luck.
Last edited by foamnpacktape; May 04, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply