May 01, 2009, 06:43 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Thread OP
Discussion

Throttle Hold Switches.

OK guys, this has bothered me ever since I got back into RC models & electrics in particular.

All the low/mid-range RC Transmitters I have used only provide a throttle hold function in heli mode. WHY??? (Don't know about the "Pro" systems).

I have at times inadvertantly "bumped" the thottle stick after arming an indoor/park/electric glider model, & wondered "Why can't I have throttle hold in aero/glider mode"?

As an old DIY hacker since the days of one valve single channel radios, I can "roll my own", but what about everyone else. I think it should be a standard option on all trannys used for electric power.

So I have "hacked" dedicated "hold-to-idle" switches into all the trannys I use for electric flight, & quite a few for my flying mates. The circuit I use is quite simple, & should work with all radios that use a voltage level input into the encoder.

Cheers, EGB.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2009, 07:07 AM
Will fly for food
You can also do it with a mix. I do that with all my planks. Actually, for them, I set hold to throttle cut. Nitro and electric. On nitro I want the throttle closed before ground impact to avoid getting dirt into the engine.

I found I was hitting the TH anyway, so way not make it do something.
May 01, 2009, 07:27 AM
Your idea is good (done it on an Esky craptacular controller) But your schematics are kinda wrong... Here it's like if you always have one more 10k resistor between the outside legs or the potentiometer.

you are changing the value of the control potentiometer range even with the switch off. You should instead use a double pole switch to cut the black and the red wire (going either to the regular potentiometer or to the 10k pots).
May 01, 2009, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_de_Coligny
Your idea is good (done it on an Esky craptacular controller) But your schematics are kinda wrong... Here it's like if you always have one more 10k resistor between the outside legs or the potentiometer.

you are changing the value of the control potentiometer range even with the switch off. You should instead use a double pole switch to cut the black and the red wire (going either to the regular potentiometer or to the 10k pots).
In most (all) current trannys, ALL the control pots ends are connected to Vref, one more pot does not change anything.

Your concern would be correct if applied to older "half/shot capacitor charge" sytems.

Cheers, EGB.
May 01, 2009, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
You can also do it with a mix. I do that with all my planks. Actually, for them, I set hold to throttle cut. Nitro and electric. On nitro I want the throttle closed before ground impact to avoid getting dirt into the engine.

I found I was hitting the TH anyway, so way not make it do something.
Yes, I have used mixes on some trannys, but it's not possible on all radios, hence the "dedicated" (single function) switch.

Cheers, EGB.
May 01, 2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftyOne
In most (all) current trannys, ALL the control pots ends are connected to Vref, one more pot does not change anything.

Your concern would be correct if applied to older "half/shot capacitor charge" sytems.

Cheers, EGB.
ooww... god... I think I just stuffed twice the wiring in my controller for no good reason (exponential mod on/off switch)
May 03, 2009, 09:10 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
thanks for this!!!!

I may trade someone for my dx7 for a dx6i if I can do this on a 6i. The DX7 programing is terrible.

why would I want to "mix" this for every plane and possible forget? eh.. na, hardwire baby!
May 03, 2009, 09:29 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
The DX7 programing is terrible.
Like to explain?
May 03, 2009, 09:36 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
it sucks
Nothing like a scroll wheel or touch screen.
May 04, 2009, 02:57 AM
Ungrateful sods!

Thanks very much Kraftyone. Thanks for your work and thanks for sharing.

Thats the aim of this game!

Quick Reply