Apr 30, 2009, 11:48 AM
Discussion

My Multiplex FOX RC Plane conversion to Pylon super fast

hello all
so here is the cute little FOX free flight glider by Multiplex, this plane looks just like the easy glider by Multiplex but meant for kids i assume to have a little fun tossing it into the wind, in any case, i have made this little sucker into a fast pylon racer, and yes this ting goes somewhere in the 70mph range, im using a little hacker A10-12S 2900kv motor with two 8gram metal gear servos, 5x3 prop and a carbon fiber spar under the wing as i noticed the wings would bent as this thing is pretty fast for its size, im using a 3S 350mAh and a thunder power 3S 450mAh, this thing is so fast, it makes a wicked sound almost like its breaking the sound barrier, video coming soon
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Wakka Wakka
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephoenix
i have made this little sucker into a fast pylon racer, and yes this ting goes somewhere in the 70mph range
Very Nice..... It's too fast for me to handle, but in the hands of a good pilot I bet it really looks great! These models make a really good conversion.

Look forward to seeing your video.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
May 01, 2009, 04:23 PM
flying?crashing more like it!
I'm building one as well,but not in the kinda speed your talking about.would be pretty amazing to see something that small fly faster than most of the guys planes I fly with anyways my question is...did you use the same cg in stock form?some say 1/3 of the wing. i got cg from the stock form,marked it and built around that. i sure hope it flies!
May 01, 2009, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman_99
I'm building one as well,but not in the kinda speed your talking about.would be pretty amazing to see something that small fly faster than most of the guys planes I fly with anyways my question is...did you use the same cg in stock form?some say 1/3 of the wing. i got cg from the stock form,marked it and built around that. i sure hope it flies!

my CG was way way off the original marked position, and that might be because i cut the tip and added the motor, if you go with the same cut on the nose and motor mount as i did, the CG is 35MM from the leading edge, im hoping to take some videos today and will post it here so you guys can see how fast this little thing is let me know if you have any other questions.
May 01, 2009, 06:49 PM
Wakka Wakka
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephoenix
let me know if you have any other questions.
Yeah! I'd be very interested to know what sort of flight times you're getting on that Motor Battery combination and how well it handles at high speed especially on aileron elevator only control.

I do notice that the surface area of your Ailerons is relatively small, I'm guessing this is because you don't need much at high speed, but I'd also be interested to know how it behaves when you slow down especially for landings.

I'd also love to hear how you measure your airspeeds.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
May 02, 2009, 03:31 PM
ok here is the video of this little fox, it was a windy day i guess around 10mph winds but this little thing still handled it
Multiplex Fox Electric RC EPP plane Conversion into a mini Pylon racer (3 min 43 sec)
May 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
littlephoenix, that looks awesome!! Nice job.

Where are you guys finding these for sale?
May 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
thank you,
i purchased this Fox from a local hobby shop, but you can buy them from towerhobbies.com i believe
as for the electronics, i got them from random places
May 20, 2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyTheBear
Yeah! I'd be very interested to know what sort of flight times you're getting on that Motor Battery combination and how well it handles at high speed especially on aileron elevator only control.

I do notice that the surface area of your Ailerons is relatively small, I'm guessing this is because you don't need much at high speed, but I'd also be interested to know how it behaves when you slow down especially for landings.

I'd also love to hear how you measure your airspeeds.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
i get around 10 minutes of flight time with a 3S lipo on a 5x3 GWS prop, if you use a 2S on this hacker, you can use a bigger prop 7x4 or 6x3.5 GWS and get even longer flight time but the plane is much slower and stable of course.
you dont need to much area for the control surfaces as the plane is so small and quick, it just takes a little bit to get it to turn,landing is the tricky part, if you land to fast or incorrectly, the prop does bend or break because the plane is pretty heavy on my setup , the gentle landing is needed.

i use waveOscope to calculate the air speed
Oct 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Philippians 4:13
what a sweet glider for conversion. I might have to try it.
Oct 30, 2009, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
what a sweet glider for conversion. I might have to try it.
you definitely should, this little guy is by far the funnest plane to fly to date
Oct 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
I wanna see a glassed one hit 200mph
Oct 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
I wanna see a glassed one hit 200mph
lol i cant lie that this didn't cross my mind :P talk about a flying brick