This thread is privately moderated by mudman1959, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 28, 2009, 05:07 PM
Live to fly... Fly to live
Thread OP
Build Log

SU-37 What I do when I'm bored...

I was bored today... Raining outside so I could not go fly. I had some extra foamboard laying around and this is what happened... It's just put together and not glued yet, I need to get some carbon fiber and put it in before I start to glue it. Going to use the parts left over from my Long EZ after its last flight was not good. I will make another some day.

04/30/09... The build continues, the whole plane is glued and all of the control surfaces are attached and the servos are in place and working. The Ailerons work in conjunction with the Elevator as Elevons, also running flexible control rods from the Aileron/Elevon servos to the canards. Going to run R/H Aileron to L/H canard and vise versa for the other side... This means I will have Roll control with the canards and also Pitch control. Sort of like how I did with my Eurofighter except all mechanical linkage instead of separate servos.

Update 05/03/09... Finally got the canards tied in with the Ailerons using flexible connecting rods. Put on a Kf addition to the top of the wing and doubled the fuselage up to the nose. Also doubled the rudders for more strength. Short Video...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1046088

Update 05/07/09... It Flies!!! I now have 5 flights on it, the first three were short and a few adjustments were needed. The forth and fifth were longer but I think I need to move the COG a little further forward, seems like it is tail heavy and it tries to slide out in the turns and tip stall. Going to purchase a bigger battery, maybe that will be enough. This plane keeps you on your toes and gets the heart rate way up!!! I like the canards during landing, come in with the nose up a bit and flair and cut the motor and it just plops down. This one is going to take a few more flights before I get all of the bugs worked out and start to feel comfortable with it. It has good slow handling and moves out real good at speed. I did not do any high speed passes yet, but if what I saw so far is any indication it should really go. I have on it a Grayson Hobbies 2212-10 swinging a 7x4 MAS electric prop with a 40 amp Suppo ESC. The only batteries I have are 1300 Mah, 10C, 11.1, 3 cells. I think rudders will be added here shortly for a little more control during slow speed handling. This is defiantly not a first time plane for the inexperienced... It is a very quick responder and when to much of an input is put in it can get you in trouble quickly... Hope to get some flight video soon...

Update 06/09 I now have several dozen flights on this plane and upgraded to a bigger battery and that made a big differance. I was able to take out the extra weight I added in the nose and it made the motor come alive. I now get 12 to 15 min flights and the battery does not even get warm. I love how this plane flies... Mudman1959 Wings Up... Wheels Down...
SU-37 (2 min 26 sec)

Update 09-14-09... Had a good time with this plane at the Iowa E-Fly this weekend in Davenport Iowa. Several good flights until I had a Aileron servo puke... It was a good thing that it did not happen in the air... I was just up throwing the plane around hard and landed and changed out the battery when I noticed during my pre-flight that the servo was dead. I will need to get a bit bigger servos with metal gears to handle the load of the Ailerons and canards.
Mudman1959 Wings Up... Wheels Down...

Update 09-24-09... Replaced the weak servos with Hi-tech metal geared servos. I was going to fly the plane today but realized I put the servos in the wrong way causing my controls to be backwards. I will need to remove them and also need to strengthen the foam where they mount. I was looking back and realized that this plane is almost a half of a year old and still flying, not bad for a couple of dollars worth of foam. Mudman1959

Update 10-24-09... Finally got back to this plane, I did finally get the servos working in the correct directions and reinforced the lower fusalage sides where they mount with thin balsa. Repainted all the repairs and attempted to fly it again... Broke the nose off right behind the canopy! Remember to always recheck the CG after doing repairs! Well long story shortend... the nose is fixed and it is ready to try and fly again with the CG now reset at 4 inches aft of where the canards trailing edge meet the wing. Had to reposition the battery and add a quarter to the nose... Mudman1959

Update 10-29-09... This plane has been retired to cicular File 13... On a good note... SU-37 #2 is on the table being built and hopefully it will be faster and lighter than the first one... Mudman1959
Last edited by mudman1959; Oct 31, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
Looking good!
May 02, 2009, 07:43 AM
Dang!!!!!
Hey, Turn that bottle of URCFG around so we can see the label . LOL

Great looking bird!

Rick
YBRC
May 08, 2009, 01:01 PM
Slow Flyer
Nice. Let's see a flight video.