Jul 19, 2009, 11:00 AM
where did my wings go?
Thanks a million for the great plans and info Ken, off to build i go
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2009, 03:02 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Rbrown3rd,
I believe that a bandsaw or scrollsaw would yield the best results. You are correct regarding the monoblock. It is nearly identical to the BB monoblock. The exceptions are the cavity in the nose, the angle at the leading edge of the wing, and the cutout for the motor. One note that I missed on the monoblock is that with the firewall mount you need to add 2 degrees right thrust to the firewall facet. Downthrust is already built in.

I use TurboCAD version 8 Proffesional. You have a CAD model side and a drafting side. On the drafting side it automatically tiles to the paper size specified in the file. When I print it out, I just change from my inkjet to CutePDF, adjust a few properties to reduce file size and save the pdf file.

Estlin76,
Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken
Jul 21, 2009, 08:25 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
Inspired. I will begin hand cutting one today. Iron Phlatprinter? Can I email you with more questions on that?

That paint mask idea could be carried much further with a Phlatprinter. You could cut a stripe or other accent in the side and give a quick spray of a color. But the tape is so much more intense. Thanks Ken for sharing your photos. They make a great how to.
Jul 21, 2009, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
R,

Karl is local to me so that would have been convienient. Postage would be more costly than the part is worth I think.

Ken
I agree Ken. I was just trying to be funny. Sort of.
Jul 21, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd
Inspired. I will begin hand cutting one today. Iron Phlatprinter? Can I email you with more questions on that?

That paint mask idea could be carried much further with a Phlatprinter. You could cut a stripe or other accent in the side and give a quick spray of a color. But the tape is so much more intense. Thanks Ken for sharing your photos. They make a great how to.
Bob,

I would be happy answer any questions I can regarding the Iron Phlatprinter through email.

Originally I was going to spray the lower half of the fuselage, but the tape looked so nice on the wings and tail surfaces that I decided to go that route instead. The only problem is that the FFF that I used has alot of waves in it. That makes getting a smooth tape job tough.

Ken
Jul 24, 2009, 07:29 AM
Great pics Ken- I like the tape trim... looks better than my painting! lol That wouldn't really take all that much though....
I also like the battery strap method... not sure if the ones I have are long enough to do that but will be finding out!

Thanks for sharing all the work. That must take as much time as the actual builds.

Patric
Jul 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Hi Patric,

The strap is 8" in length. I get about 2" of overlap with the 900 Mah Mystery batteries. That may give you some reference of what it needed.

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Jul 24, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Jul 24, 2009, 09:55 AM
I like the way you aligned the waves in the fanfold so that the wings look like they have ribs and a covering. Nice job and nice photos. Thanks. This is a great build. I have finished cutting my 2 " Oshkosh 40 BB. Will try to get some gluing done today. Mine is not nearly as precise as yours because my hand cutting is somewhat shaky but it looks ok.
Jul 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Hi Patric,

The strap is 8" in length. I get about 2" of overlap with the 900 Mah Mystery batteries. That may give you some reference of what it needed.

Ken

Good job on the Oshkosh Special.
I got the plans, printed, taped, and ready to cut foam. How did you know I was looking for a club trainer exactly like this one.
Question:
What on earth are you going to do with all those planes??
What is that phlatprinter thingy that you have, and what does it do?
You can pm me, so that we don't start another thread here.
[email protected]
Gary
Jul 24, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop stitches
...What on earth are you going to do with all those planes??
Gary,

The answer to this one is in the first post.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Ken
Jul 24, 2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Okay,

Time to start a thread on this. I as some of my FB's know am in charge of an RC Flight Experience event in Oshkosh, WI this year. It is part of a larger event that happens every five years, the International Pathfinder Camporee. This will be the third year it has been held at the campgrounds of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) from August 11 -15, 2009. This is just a week after their annual Airventure gathering. Pathfinders and Staff from around the world will gather to the tune of 33,000 participants. Many different events will take place on and offsite. The RC Flight Experience is just one of many. We expect to service about 200 people a day for four days. www.camporee.org

Here is what I am doing and invite your input. The plan is to build a fleet of 8 aircraft. Foamies of course! My initial plan was for 33" UC Blue-Babies. Then I thought to create a modified version of the Blue-Baby named the Oshkosh Special. Inviting comments and design considerations. They must however utulize the above components.

Ken

Edit: Plans added to thread in post #43
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=43

Edit: Change from News to Build Log
I have a wing baking jig, but use mostly Klein-Fogelman wings. Would a KF-3 work as well as the baked wing? I suppose the added weight will hurt the efficiency of the aircraft. Is that a clark-y foil?
Sorry to bug you with so many questions.
Gary
Jul 24, 2009, 08:00 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP

The Fleet is Complete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop stitches
I have a wing baking jig, but use mostly Klein-Fogelman wings. Would a KF-3 work as well as the baked wing? I suppose the added weight will hurt the efficiency of the aircraft. Is that a clark-y foil?
Sorry to bug you with so many questions.
Gary
Gary,

The airfoil I am using is the 4-40 Undercamber. Used by GPW and Tony65x55. I am under the impression that GPW developed it. I have not been a fan of the KFm wings on these birds, however many have met with success with them. I really enjoy keeping these birds light, and have been richly rewarded in doing so. I do not know if it could get more efficient than it already is. She will jump off the ground if you need to, glides superbly (not a sailplane in the least), If you hold full up in the glide she just seems to slow down and very gently descend with just a hint of a bob, can go vertical as long as you have the battery, and has excellent duration on the battery specified. It has met every design criteria that has been asked of it and then some. To top it all off, it uses among the lowest cost components, making it very affordable to build and fly.

Just finished the remainder of the planes this afternoon. I'll post some pics of the finished fleet tomorrow night.

Ken

Quick Reply