Dec 04, 2009, 10:27 PM
RC = FUN
alright, what's a good gauge for low KV? -Tyler
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2009, 11:07 PM
I've been winding motors since the cd-rom craze began around 2003. At least 90%+ of all my planes use custom wound motors. Lots of orders from Don (bz1mcr) and others over the years. The answer to your question is ... it depends. In general you want to pack as much copper as possible into the windings. That gives you good efficiency. The largest diameter (lowest gauge) wire possible and still get the turns in. As a general rule ... the more windings the lower the KV. My standard 9-tooth cd-rom motor has 16 or 17 turns of 26 gauge wire terminated "Y". I almost never use Delta. But if I'm feeling ambitious, a 25 turn of 26 gauge wire makes a nice low KV 3D motor. On 12 tooth stators, I usually wind it LRK or DLRK.

On Ken's (dz1sfb) Blue Speedy Bee design I've used 17 turn Gobrushhless.com GBX singles and 25 turn cd-rom motors.

So Tyler ... what's the diameter of the stator and how many teeth? And how many magnets?

-Tom
Dec 04, 2009, 11:15 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
I am glad Tom stepped in on this one. That is a tuffy to answer. So many "depends on" in the answering of that one.
Me, I always just rewound in order to save a motor that I screwed up and didn't wanna buy another so I Just take her apart, take the wire over to Don's to match it up to the correct guage(20 minute drive from StrongRcMotors is a nice perk! And Don is real fun to fly with, helped me out alot. A great friend.)
Then I rewind it to the same turns to just get about the same performance. This is on all of my Blue Wonders. 12 pole stators terminated in "Y", rather easy to wind, just tedious.
Dec 04, 2009, 11:17 PM
RC = FUN
I don't know what the diameter is, but there are 14 magnets, and 12 of the stators, or the things you wrap the wire around. I think those are the stators? -Tyler
Dec 07, 2009, 09:57 AM
On a holiday?
I might have missed something substantial here but is there any good guide on how to do your own baking jig and how to use it.

Also, if I was to build the KF-version instead should I use the same power setup, I'm guessing the KF-version would be somewhat heavier?
Dec 07, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Simon,

I am not aware of a guide or how-to on the baking jig.

On power set up; the same should be okay. The original had power to spare. I would figure between 12 and 14 oz AUW depending on battery selection with KF wing.

Ken
Dec 07, 2009, 12:47 PM
treefinder
Finally got some color on mine. Also, upgraded the motor from the C10 which flew it nice and gentle to a c20 2500kv which flys it a little more agressively
Dec 07, 2009, 01:23 PM
Nice stuff Mike. What did you color it with?
Dec 07, 2009, 01:33 PM
treefinder
Fuse is yellow marker, wing is flourescent yellow rattle can spray (very light, dry spray!!!) Black is sharpy.
Dec 07, 2009, 02:24 PM
Was it the Krylon? if not what brand?
I know you told me once already, I just can't remember.
I been wanting to build mine & do it in all yellow ever since seeing Kens original.
Dec 07, 2009, 02:37 PM
treefinder
uhhhh, hang on....

yup, Krylon special purpose Fluorescent
Dec 07, 2009, 03:02 PM
Sweet, thx man!
Dec 07, 2009, 04:42 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Finally got some color on mine. Also, upgraded the motor from the C10 which flew it nice and gentle to a c20 2500kv which flys it a little more agressively
She is a real beauty Mike.

Kudos,
Ken
Dec 07, 2009, 09:44 PM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
I have everything I need to build the KFm3 wing but have a few questions. How do you stack and glue the wing panels? Also, how do you get the dihedral? I think you bend the dowel and attach it to the wing, right? I'm confused because the plans say sand a bevel to get dihedral. Thanks!
Dec 07, 2009, 11:11 PM
treefinder
Personally, I glue the 75% piece to the main wing first with Gorilla glue, then put tape on the leading edge that I previously trimmed (the main and 50% piece) to 45degree edges. Then fold the taped edge so that the 50% piece lays on the 75% piece and glue down with Gorilla glue. Hope that makes sense, pictures would be better of course. The bevel is along the centerline edges of each wing half to make them fit closely. Best way is to set the wing half at the per side dihedral angle on a block, then make a sanding block (sandpaper glued to a piece of 2x4) and slide it back and forth along the c/l. you get the right angle automatically.

Quick Reply