Thread Tools
Jul 01, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP

Oshkosh Special Maiden Flight Report


You know, sometimes you get it right and sometimes not. The Oshkosh Special gets a resounding, double thumbs up!

Once the elevator was trimmed out with a little up she was a dream. I flew the maiden for 3-1/2 minutes while my better half videod. That is in the process of uploading (5 hour process on dial up), and will posted tomorrow morning.

I am using the equipment shown in post #1. I flew again this evening for another 21 plus minutes. That include some aerobatics as well. A total time of around 25 minutes on a 900 Mah 2s battery. I am quite pleased and expect that this design will meet the criteria for which it was created. If you get into trouble just let go of the sticks and she levels and straightens right out.

Another big thank you to Tony65x55 for the Blue Baby 33 UC that was the inspiration of this varient.

Ken
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP
Well, I got fortunate and was able to upload the video.

Here it is,
Ken

Oshkosh Special Maiden Flight (4 min 6 sec)
Jul 03, 2009, 10:38 PM
where did my wings go?
estlin76's Avatar
Great looking plane and awesome video! When you get her to oshkosh, swing by el azteca mexican and load her up with them enchiladas for me and launch her south!
Jul 04, 2009, 06:40 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
Nice plane, nice flying, nice video. Congratulations. Loved the roll and the STOL takeoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Well, I got fortunate and was able to upload the video.

Here it is,
Ken

Oshkosh Special Maiden Flight (4 min 6 sec)
Jul 04, 2009, 06:43 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Okay, I've been trying to upload video but keep running into problems. Will have to wait to get access by high speed. Your gonna love it!

In the mean time been cutting the fleet. Got two more sets to cut. Here are some pics if you want to see how its going.

Ken
Ohhh. A Phlatprinter. I am so jealous.
Jul 05, 2009, 07:19 AM
Registered User
praymond's Avatar
Ken, we're going to make the BB34 for my grandson, painted like a L-19. Did you extend the fuse at the tail for strength? (was it just the area behind the HS hindge line?)

How doen this 40" wing fly compared to the 33" on the same frame??

He loved you vertical take off on your vid!

paul
Jul 06, 2009, 06:21 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Ken, we're going to make the BB34 for my grandson, painted like a L-19. Did you extend the fuse at the tail for strength? (was it just the area behind the HS hindge line?)

How doen this 40" wing fly compared to the 33" on the same frame??

He loved you vertical take off on your vid!

paul
Hi Paul,

I just extended the fuselage to get the vertical stab/rudder assembly further rearward. Several reasons for this. One, to help with CG since I am using a heavier motor/esc combo, and two, to give more longitudinal stability. This I felt necessary due to stretching the wingspan to 40", which was also to counter the added weight of the motor/esc combo. She also tracks nicer in turns now. A side benefit and could be a primary reason, it does give it a more Cessna look.

The 40" wing flys real nice. Similar to the 33" one. Although I am able to do more with this power system over the Suppo 2204-14 that I have favored for some time now. That is how I was able to jump off the ground like that.

I will be posting plans with in the week here.

Ken
Jul 15, 2009, 06:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP
Flight Report

Flew her again last night. The motor prop battery combo in this thing is just awesome. I get a nearly vertical (80 degree) climb at half throttle. That is with a fresh battery. I am very pleased with this set up.

Plans are nearly finished.

Ken
Jul 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
What was the reason for using laminated monoblocs? Was it so that the entire plane could be built from FFF? I really envy the precision cutting you get using an automated process like the Phatprinter. Nice for cranking out a number of planes at a time as you are doing.
Jul 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd
What was the reason for using laminated monoblocs? Was it so that the entire plane could be built from FFF? I really envy the precision cutting you get using an automated process like the Phatprinter. Nice for cranking out a number of planes at a time as you are doing.
You are right on! I wanted to be able to utilize one thickness of material for the entire airframe. Even thought about engineering the monoblock out of it, but after playing with the idea awhile, the laminated monoblock is simpler to design and manufacture. Of course the number of layers of foam dictates the width of the fuselage. Seven layers was just right to make up for the 1-1/2" foam using PB3.

Ken
Jul 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
dizzy yet?
Kap'n Karl's Avatar
Hi Ken,

I am almost done making my plane constructed from the cut out sheet I got from you. It's been a pretty smooth build fo me. This is my very first build so having pre-cut design has made things very easy for me. I wish I could've gotten one of your monobloc pieces, too!

I have a few questions and comments about this build. I will send you a PM.

I'll post some pictures once it's done. I can't wait. This is my first year flying and it's been awesome. I can't wait to get this plane in the air!

Karl
Jul 16, 2009, 08:36 AM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap'n Karl
Hi Ken,

I am almost done making my plane constructed from the cut out sheet I got from you. It's been a pretty smooth build fo me. This is my very first build so having pre-cut design has made things very easy for me. I wish I could've gotten one of your monobloc pieces, too!

I have a few questions and comments about this build. I will send you a PM.

I'll post some pictures once it's done. I can't wait. This is my first year flying and it's been awesome. I can't wait to get this plane in the air!

Karl
Karl,

I do have a spare Monoblock for this one if you like. The price is right (free!). Unless you are past that point.

Ken
Jul 16, 2009, 08:46 AM
dizzy yet?
Kap'n Karl's Avatar
Darn. Should've looked for this thread long ago!

I am way past that point.

Thanks for the offer, though!

Nice video by the way.
Jul 16, 2009, 09:36 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Karl,

I do have a spare Monoblock for this one if you like. The price is right (free!). Unless you are past that point.

Ken
If you seriously have too many, one too many, I would love to have it. :-)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools