A F3F racer the Norwegian way - Project NWC. - RC Groups
Apr 27, 2009, 04:22 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Discussion

A F3F racer the Norwegian way - Project NWC.

Hi all,

After receiving alot of PM`s about the project, I think it is time that I started a thread to keep discussion out of my inbox.

For those of you who who haven`t seen this before, here is a short project description:

The project goal is to make a 2,7m F3F glider at a resonable cost, that is made to fit my requirements as a pilot, and also fit the Norwegian costal slopes. Being a student I also have a limited amout of cash, and the project needed to fit within my life savings... (The project still cost me about 2-3 new Tangas!!! :O)

The project was started by me in early 2008. I was getting tired of waiting for parts for my F3F models and had also had a long time dream of making my own F3F model. I`ve spent the last eight years learning how to make moulds and moulded planes. I started out with small pylon racers, as making mistakes on a bigger project could possibly be very expensive.

Through my pylon projects I`ve gotten to know alot of people with great knowledge on the subject of making high competiton gliders. After I had made the initial drawings I contacted Francois Lorrain, and he agreed to do the CAD work for me. After several months, and probably hundred emails, the wing planform was designed to my specification and slightly modifyed by Francois experience.

After that, I needed an airfoil. In 2005 Dirk Pflug of Ceres fame had posted an airfoil for F3F for free use on the www.lomcovak.cz site. -I contacted him to ask if the airfoil was suitable for my plane. He then answered that he would rather like to make a complete new airfoil set made especially for my plane. -I`m looking forward to test it.

The tailplane is a cut down and modified (by me) Freestyler 1/Europhia 1 tailplane. That I got hold of the positives for. It has a thin low drag HD801 airfoil.

The fuselage is made by very accurate, time consuming good old hand work.

When the drawings were done, I spent alot of time to find someone who could do the CNC work of the wing positves at a as low cost as possible, with the great accuracy needed. Bodo Landeck helped me out, and as he said: "Sometimes one should realize ones dreams..."

First wing is in the moulds, and I`m pushing 800 hours invested..

Project Documentation starts on Desember 2008, and can be found here:

Project Norwegian Wild Card

Kjell Sture Johansen.
Last edited by SpeedMaster; Jul 29, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2009, 06:28 AM
Deniable plausibility
Kjell,

Wondered when you would start this thread. It's going to be a good looking 'plane and with both the effort you've put in and that of the other's, I'm sure it will fly as well as it looks.

Now, stop making moulds (and embarassing me with my lack of progress )and get some revision done! students!

Watching with interest,

S
Apr 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
Looks great I would be interested in 1 !!!!!
Apr 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by km2579
Looks great I would be interested in 1 !!!!!

Sorry, forgot to say that this is a non-commersial project...
Jun 06, 2009, 07:26 AM
UAS Test Pilot
The blog is updated with wing mould building...

www.ksjohansen.blogspot.com
Jun 06, 2009, 07:42 AM
-----
Congratulations on some fanastic work! I have nothing but huge admiration for people like you who tackle projects of this scale !
Jun 06, 2009, 08:08 AM
Still watching and thinking WOW....
Jun 06, 2009, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
The blog is updated with wing mould building...

very nice! you have to be feeling good about the results!

tom
Jun 07, 2009, 10:05 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Hi guys,

thanks alot, your comments warms a carbon freaks hart....

Pictures of the mould halves are posted on my blog.

Jun 09, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hei Kjell.

Nice you started this thread, makes it easier to follow your progress.

Wauw!! Your moulds looks good !!

Greetings from Denmark.

Jan
Jun 10, 2009, 08:10 AM
UAS Test Pilot
Thanks Jan.

I`m almost super happy with the moulds... The f200 gelcoat I used is not as good as it used to be, an the surface has some slight discolorations... its not much, but enough to irritate me.. I`m changing to Ebalta OH 33 on the top surfaces... Other than that, the moulds are great! Good luck with yours..
Jun 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
Deniable plausibility
Nice one. Now hurry up and get the upper surface moulds done

S
Jun 15, 2009, 04:52 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Hi guys!

I`ve just updated the blog with some pictures of small parts for the NWC that I have made.

Jul 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Upper surfaces are done!!! Yeehaa!!!

Jul 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
Upper surfaces are done!!! Yeehaa!!!

looks great! very well done, man!