Nov 14, 2011, 01:34 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Alas, no PCBs arrived today - sort of took the chance of something enjoyable happening on this Monday away. The weather is getting rather hot here which is going to cut my time in the workshop back quite a lot (despite it being foam insulated, with 70% shadecloth over the top and ventilation fans).

Paul.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Rather excited to let you all know that I'm looking to get some samples of some very VERY small OLED screens, we're talking about 29 x 10mm size to 23 x 16, all very high resolution.

Sure, sounds moderately interesting, but what I'm hyper-excited about is all the very neat things I'll be able to build based on those. Finally you can get a display that'll fit on to a BAC unit giving you a live battery state condition like the PLD-SCC1 etc.... gawd, there's so many ideas going on in my head right now I can hardly keep it together

Probably won't see anything emerge though from the PLD "Skunk" labs until next year though...mmm... need a name for my labs
Nov 18, 2011, 02:01 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
the OLED screens have been ordered, only 3 of each type for testing/prototyping - I could be getting a little ahead of my own abilities here, since the connectors for them are a teeeny tiny 0.6mm pitch and the pads are 0.3mm wide - alas they cannot be reflow-soldered and there aren't any FPC connectors for them, going to be very interesting, but still exciting.
Nov 24, 2011, 03:05 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
I'm now on Twitter if you guys want a running commentary of what I'm doing....

http://twitter.com/nqrc
Nov 29, 2011, 06:24 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Visit me at RCGroups Chat!
Dec 08, 2011, 09:22 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
A Daily random special sale mailing list has been setup on the NQRC site.

It's very simple, you only have to give your email address and then confirm the link - after which you will receive a short HTML email every day with the NQRC special for the day (24hrs only). The product chosen will be at least 25% off.

The subscription for the Daily Spark special is on the bottom-right of the page under the product categories.

http://nqrc.com
Feb 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
I've done it again. Closed NQRC. Difference is, this time, I actually took away the ability to purchase anything for any people coming in at the last minute. Since last time I tried closing I was lured into a false boom which almost made it worth keeping up.

My mental (and physical now) health just can't take having the shop open. I've got to stop dedicating the time to it because it stops me from advancing ahead in the new business areas.
Feb 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Stable genius
Damnit Paul!!! You're the only one in the world making good products of this type!! Don't leave us hanging like this!
Feb 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Vespa,

I don't know what other options to take. I can't make ends meet this way, in fact things haven't been meeting for a while, I've tried "relaunching" a couple of times and there's some initial success but each time it just fades out and gets tougher with the economic conditions being pressed down on me (excessively strong Australian dollar, amazing prices/competition from China-Direct/HobbyKing).

Trying to decide with to do with the actual NQRC business entity; since it has a strong internet presence and carries a pretty good rep, would be a bother if that all went to waste.

Paul.
Mar 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
KJ4WFG
Paul -- any chance you could outsource production of existing designs? Maybe some of those Chinese amazing competitors could learn to make your designs at an acceptable level of quality. Or maybe some kind of licensing arrangement with a producer based here in the States. Seems like there ought to be an opportunity for you to take a small fee with someone else footing the production bill and get some return on your intellectual property without having to wrestle with production. (?)

R
May 07, 2016, 09:06 PM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP

Alive again

In a limited capacity, I'm running the production line again.

So far the plan is to produce small numbers of the most popular items from before (mostly because I still have PCBs left)

5.5V 2S lipo BAC w/ alarm: PLD-BAC-55C
LED/Mini BAC (5V): PLD-BAC-MINI
Lost model alarm: PLD-LMA-02
Relay switch: PLD-RCS-RL2A
May 08, 2016, 06:30 AM
ancora imparo
Yeah, Paul.

Good to see you back!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflexo
In a limited capacity, I'm running the production line again.

So far the plan is to produce small numbers of the most popular items from before (mostly because I still have PCBs left)

5.5V 2S lipo BAC w/ alarm: PLD-BAC-55C
LED/Mini BAC (5V): PLD-BAC-MINI
Lost model alarm: PLD-LMA-02
Relay switch: PLD-RCS-RL2A
May 08, 2016, 06:39 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Good to see you back!
Thanks John, it's been an interesting few years away. I see R/C in general has moved quite a few leaps and bounds ( quads & VR being the big winners ). No gear here myself yet, just have a Mountain Models Cessna and a GWS mini-stick left in the workshop. Might kit up again if things get moving with the firing up of the production line again.

How have you been?
May 08, 2016, 09:01 AM
ancora imparo
Retired now. More time for modelling but it seems time changes pace and I have just as many unfinished projects as ever!

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflexo
Thanks John, it's been an interesting few years away. I see R/C in general has moved quite a few leaps and bounds ( quads & VR being the big winners ). No gear here myself yet, just have a Mountain Models Cessna and a GWS mini-stick left in the workshop. Might kit up again if things get moving with the firing up of the production line again.

How have you been?
May 22, 2016, 06:29 AM
Magicsmoke maker
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Retired now. More time for modelling but it seems time changes pace and I have just as many unfinished projects as ever!

:-)
I just don't seem to have the time and/or energy by the end of the day... or the times I do, no money. Sounds familiar I'm sure for many.

Just finished another 2m tall 70x50 mesh enclosure for the fur-kids here, roughly 6x15m area, stops them roaming. Need to find some time for R/C though, maybe I can make a drone system that tracks the furkids

Quick Reply