Apr 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How accurately does Real Flight G4.5 model flight?

???
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2009, 09:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Except for bring too stable when hovering (except in hover training mode), I think the physics model is pretty good. It's quite easy to tweak the flight characteristics of any model heli if you find one that's not to your liking.
Apr 23, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think it is very close. Only a couple of models are way off, the rest are good. Close enough that I cringe when I crash, then I check my wallet to find I'm ok.
Apr 23, 2009, 11:16 PM
MFSmaniac
It's realistic enough. The only thing I find quite different is not having stereoscopic & spatial/landscape vision (obviously), otherwise control and response is adjustable to your liking.
Apr 23, 2009, 11:56 PM
dze
dze
i use 3.5 and actually have 4 but havent gotten around to installing it because i feel 3.5 actually is still doing the trick .. it does just fine .. nothing touches having a real one in front of you and the spatial perception is what you have to deal with like mprasm mentioned with any sim i think ... i make huge jumps forward flying the sim alone and then flying the real one reveals where i was kidding myself, its easy to do with a sim .. realflight is good though
Apr 24, 2009, 12:18 AM
MFSmaniac
Speaking of spatial perception, I noticed that my flights in the real world are much better and spatially contained than in RF 4.5 where I'm practically all over the place - thx to horrible grip of depth and scale.

I guess there's a catch 22 here at work for newbie learning purpose. It's hard to learn through a sim world when you don't know what it should feel like in the real world. But after you learn some skills in the both worlds, the sim will become realistic enough for advanced training (flipping and do crazy 3D things)

If u're learning basic heli hovering & flying in sim, it will 'feel' different once u start moving that heli around. After you mastered the spatial feel in the real world, then your sim and real experience will converge and you can get full benefit of RF 4.5, which btw, is quite realistic. Hint: train in speed up physics and you'll reap the benefit in reality.

Sorry, rambling
Apr 24, 2009, 07:09 AM
For anyone wanting to try realflight in 3d get some old anaglyph glasses and download IZ3D driver. There is an option to run in 3d anaglyph mode (certainly in version 1.08).

Only problem is because realflight is not a true 3d world in some respects it doesn't work as well as it does for first person shooters or other simulators but you can sorta gauge how far away the heli is!

Realflight should produce a true 3d mode optimised for red/cyan glasses or even better colorcode galsses that would be cool.

Quick Reply