Another Dumas Lord Nelson Victory Tug "LNVT" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
From Bergen County, NJ
Mini-HowTo

Another Dumas Lord Nelson Victory Tug "LNVT"

Hello everyone.

Last week I started a Dumas LNVT. I chose this model mostly because of looks and simplicity. I had not planked a boat in a while since my last 5 models were all molded fiber glass.

This will be my 4th Dumas model and I'm sad to admit its the worst one yet. I'm certain by looking at past builds that the outcome will be nice, but the kit is terrible. Wood quality, specially the plywood is bad. It took a great deal of effort just getting it loose from the sheets and most of the hull framework fell apart or broke in the process.

The hull planking is a real challenge, and should probably be a smaller in width to allow proper bending. Tow layers of thinner planking would work better and go on allot easier.

The instructions are the worst I have seen. There a very few sketches showing details and the entire manual is composed of a few long paragraphs. I'm type of builder that gets allot more from a few diagrams showing the gradual progress of the built.

If it wasn't for Ed Crowell's build, I would have taken twice as long to get this far. Thanks Ed!

I dont think this build thread will add much value to this site, but at least it will illustrate a few more of the steps in the build for future attempts.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2009, 08:17 PM
Everglades,

Glad to see another LNVT. I had a hard time also planking the hull with basswood. I have lots of pictures of my build that I did not post, if you are interested send me a private message with your email address and I will send you the pictures. Maybe it will help.

Ed
Apr 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
From Bergen County, NJ

A bit more progress

Progress is moving slow but I managed to get the hull mostly finished. Just started working on the deck... gonna use individual planks as most others have done.
Apr 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
WooHoo!
Great start, looking good.
Apr 28, 2009, 09:52 AM
Shaping up real nice.

Ed
May 01, 2009, 03:56 PM
Your LNVT is really coming along nicely!
May 01, 2009, 04:53 PM
Not and easy boat to build especially with the poor instructions. But you are doing real good.

Ed
Jul 13, 2009, 08:55 AM
Everglades,
Thanks for the post. It really does help to learn how others respond to the same kit. My LNVT has been on the ways since November 08, so don't worry about the extended time for construction.

I've just finished the hull planking up to the bullwarks and am filling in the cracks with wood putty, direction's recommendations notwithstanding.

-This is a challenging kit. Reading very carefully before breaking out the glue can help avoid problems.
-This is an excellent learning kit for experienced model builders to measure, taper and lay planking accordng to formal rules. If you mess up, don't worry. You'll putty and fiberglass the hull anyway.
-Agree the directions are difficult to follow.
-I also question the quality of wood.
*Some ply pieces, including the "bulwark former" are warped
*Ply comes with two surfaces, one rough mahogany appearing and one smooth basswood appearing. The mahogany side also has odd pits and marks giving it a worm-eaten appearance; this is new to me.
*When I purchased additional basswood from my local hobby dealer, the new basswood bent on better and accepted CA better.

There are enough details to write a book.

Peter
Sep 13, 2017, 10:34 AM
ulpilotrmh
Did you ever finish this project?