Apr 22, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

CMPro Edge 540T build review-more pics added

I started almost a year ago with this.

Now its time to go up a step. I've been flying the trainer since last summer and indoor 3D foamies throughout the winter. I didn't have a whole lot of $$ to spend and ended up getting this CMPro Edge 540T. I like the looks and thought this would at least help me learn. Next year, I plan on getting a 50cc plane.

It just arrived today. The manual is HORRIBLE as most Chineese manuals are. Parts seem average and the covering has a clear coat over it which makes it brittle when you cut out the spots for the aileron servos. It also looks like will be sturdy but maybe overbuilt causing it to be heavy. There are things that they should have done to save weight. The main wing tube is heavy and I think I'm going to replace it with CF, it has large heavy wing bolts and canopy bolts. And the wheel skirts are heavy too (I think). I might take those off even though they look cool.

The little wheel did not fit on to the axle very well and the wings are a tight fit on the wing tubes.

I'll weigh it once I get it all done. I'm sticking with my OS .46AX w/12X4 prop untill I can afford an .82 Saito. I wonder if the OS will swing a 13X4 or 14X4?

Last edited by Aaron1100us; Jul 02, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
The 46 AX will not swing a 13x4 or 14x4. The best prop for that engine would be a 12.25x3.75 APC.
Apr 24, 2009, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
I'm scrapping the .46 idea and going with a Saito .91. I'm going t try a 14X4 and a 15X4 prop. I think I'm going to stick with the stock 300cc fuel tank. I only need 5-10 minutes so hopefully that will be ok.

I put the .46 with tower hobbies muffler and 12X4 prop back on the trainer plane.
May 01, 2009, 03:43 PM

CMPro Edge 540T build

Hello,

My name is Cesar; I just purchased the same plane to replace a Fliton 330 that I crashed and came across this thread. I hope you don't mind if I chime in every now and then.

Aaron1100us, I have purchased other CMPro planes in the past and can tell you that although they are not at the top end of ARF manufacturers, they do build a decent product for the price, and with a little work their planes can be made into really nice flyers.

That said, you should use the airframe as a base to start with and make any changes to airframe to ensure a better chance of survivability. Make sure you go over the joints with a fine tooth comb. Asian ARFs are notorious for using lower quality glues and they usually don't put enough. These are after all manufactured in mass quantities and they are sped through the building process.

I always go over all of the joints with a light covering of CA or epoxy (your choice) on all of the major joints. I know this adds some weight, but it is better than having the plane come apart in mid air due to a poorly glued joint. I also beef up any joints that I feel may no be strong enough with some triangular stock and epoxy (I love that epoxy stuff). I have put planes into the ground that have nothing left but the joints I strengthend.

I would not rely on the set screw alone for the rod ends that came with the kit either. I would modify them a bit and bend the ends like the Dave Brown instructions state to make sure they stay put (see link below). Also, don't be afraid to substitute any of the hardware for some of higher quality, it will only serve to provide a bit more of security for the model.

http://www.dbproducts.com/downloads/pdf/prds_header.pdf

A word of note on this type of aircraft. I am not sure if you know this but they have a tendancy to tip stall if you slow them down too much; such as when you are about to land. They are fast, but can be slowed down enough to be fun. Just take the time to learn the characteristics of the plane with enough altitude to allow time for recovery.

I think that's enough for now. Good luck
May 04, 2009, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the post.

This is sure going to be interesting. It will be a lot different than my .40 size trainer and my 3D foamies. I did notice the poor gluing and reinforced places that lacked glue especially up front where the engine mounts. I've added a carbon fiber tube for the main wing tube and a fe other things to reduce weight.

What do you think about usung a Saito .91 and 15X4 prop? Would a 15X6 be better? I want to do large aerobatics yet be able to hover and do 3D also.

This plane seems a lot shorter than it should be. It wold look better if it was about 5-7 inches longer.

Do I just cut a hole in the bottom of the cowel to let the air out for engine cooling?
May 06, 2009, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
I got the Saito in today and fired up. WOW, this plane is going to have some power. 15X4 prop and TONS of pull. Haven't flown it yet, just started it in the back yard. It's going to have no problem hovering and being able to climb out vertical. According to the Saito website, I should get 5-8 minutes on a 300cc tank which should be just fine. It is a little nose heavy as I figured it would be so I'm probably going to have to add a little bit if weight to the tail. It's at 6.23 lbs right now with no fuel. I was hoping to be under 5lbs but oh well.

I had to drill the Zinger prop out to fit the shaft on the engine. Why was that? Do I need a special prop for this engine? Also, it seemed that the prop wasn't thick enough for the prop nut (which has threads only part way because the spinner bolt goes into one end) so I had to get another nut to put on.

Also, the spinner is too big for the plane. Can I get a smaller spinner and have it still fit? I have a 2 1/4 inch spinner but the prop doesn't fit in it. Can I get a 2 1/2 inch spinner that will fit a 15X4 prop?
May 06, 2009, 10:24 PM
I meant to do that
You will almost always have to drill the prop bigger if you are using bigger than about a .46 size engine. Its normal.
Your spinner size looks good to me. It doesn't need to be a tight fit around the prop. From the pictures it looks like you may want to adjust your spinner. It looks like you have the prop push right against the opening of the spinner. You don't want the prop to touch the spinner. Just center it in the opening and you will be fine.
So were you trying only use the prop nut that your spinner threads into? Normally you will use the original nut that came with the engine to hold the prop on and then the nut to hole the spinner goes on next.
May 07, 2009, 03:41 AM
Thread OP
I got the engine used and it only came with the nut that the spinner screws into. How do I keep the spinner from touching the prop?
May 07, 2009, 07:02 AM

CMPro Edge 540T build review

Aaron1100us,

Congratulations on getting your plane done, it looks sharp; I can't wait to get started on mine. From the pictures it looks like the cutouts on the spinner is what may be holding you up.

Spinners are made in different styles (Universal, Standard, Parabolic, Ultimate or FAI), with different type of cutouts for the various types of props; the one you have there looks like it's for an APC type of prop. You can search the forums, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on the subject.

You may want to try and get an APC 15-4 and see how it fits in there. If not, you can get a universal cut, plastic spinner of decent quality that will accomodate a variety of propeller styles and save you some weight at the same time; you'll need to recheck the balance your model though.

As littlewing78 mentioned, sometimes you'll find the need to drill out the prop to make it fit your engine. They sell prop reamers that work well on softer material like wood or plastic, but you may need to use a drill press if it is really hard material, just try to keep the hole centered so you don't change the balance of the propellor (easier said than done by the way)

Well, I hope that helps. Let us know how it turns out.

Cesar
May 08, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
Hoping to fly it today if the weather cooperates. Its really nose heavy so I went back to the 1100mah nicad behind the wing instead of the 2S lipo. I'm eventually going to place the rudder servo in the back and get rid of the pull pull. I'd like it to balance without having to add weight but I might have to add some weight for now until I get things situated. I'm going to have to move the throttle servo up onto the side of the fuselage so I can have a straight control rod going to the throttle. With this engine, the throttle sits up on top so its not in the spot its supposed to be in.

Should be interesting, hope it flies and I don't crash.
May 12, 2009, 04:23 AM
Thread OP
I was going to fly it this weekend but it ended up way too nose heavy. So I'm in the process of taking out the elevator servo and mounting two smaller elevator servos in the back of the fuselage. I'm moving the rudder servo back in the tray also. The throttle servo is going to be on the side of the fuselage and the fuel tank is going to be moved back. Sure hope this fixes my CG issue otherwise I'm going to have to move the rudder servo all the way back too.
Last edited by Aaron1100us; May 14, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
May 13, 2009, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
I've moved the servos and its finally balancing out now.

May 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Flew for the first time today. A little different than my trainer. I landed once just fine. The second time, it flipped over taking out the prop and broke the rudder. I've got the rudder fixed and I'm going to get an APC 15X4. I was told it would probably do a little better with that.
May 18, 2009, 01:43 AM
Taken Lightly
Mine flew for the first time a couple of days ago, too.

I had set the aileron and elevator movements a lot larger than suggested in the manual. Way too sensible. I have to reduce them to more normal.

The engine is Super Tigre 40. So it won't take off vertically. Some could call it underpowered but I am able to fly aerobatics in scale style. Let's see if I want to install a more powerful engine after a while. However, I am not willing to put any more weight on the model. AUW is 2830 g.

For landing the ailerons can be used as flaps as well (flaperons).

Equipped with a lightweight engine and without the cowl the plane was still nose heavy. I'll build a pair of longitudinal beams in the rear fuselage for the battery. So I can adjust the CG later if required.

-ilkka-
May 18, 2009, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, I really had a nose heavy problem. I moved the fuel tank back, replaced the throttle servo with a smaller one, moved the rudder servo back, replaced the standard size elevator servo with two small servos clear in the back. CG is right on without adding any weight. I also replaced the main wing tube with a CF one. My trainer plane would glide beautifully, this plane doesn't glide at all, not used to that. Almost lost it a couple of times. I'm glad I put in the bigger engine, I was trying to land and lost control, hit the throttle and it pulled up vertically great. I did roll it on the last landing though, came in too slow

Quick Reply