Jun 17, 2001, 07:13 PM

71" Piper Cub first flight

My Airborne Models 71" Piper Cub flew for the first time. I have had marginal luck with cubs so I intentionally overpowered this one for insurance.

The model is excellent. Very well built and LIGHT! After adding an Aveox 1015/2Y with 4:1 gearbox and 16 Panasonic 3000 Nimh batteries it was still below 20oz wing loading. The batteries weighed 2lbs. All up weight was 6 pounds. It had 4.5 pounds static thrust and pulled 28 amps on a fresh battery.

I took it to the field, topped off the battery, and had a friend take the controls. In true cub fashion it was a handful on the ground. But once up to speed he pulled back on the elevator and up she went. It climbed at a 45 degree angle!!! Not very cub like I know. The 13x8 prop sounded great.

This model flew wonderfully. Stalls were gentle and predictable. After 10 minutes of flight we had a problem with the motor so we had to land. My calculations show that the model should fly about 15 minutes on a charge. I will verify this when I get the motor back.

I would highly recommend this model to anyone wanting a larger cub. Best of all, it is an ARF!

Check it out here http://www.airborne-models.com/html/piper.html

It is the Cub 48.

Can't wait to get my 57" Mustang in the air now!

[This message has been edited by asperkins (edited 06-17-2001).]
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2001, 01:01 PM
I cut away some of the forward former so that I can place the battery nearly against the firewall.

You may be able to make an access door on the bottom. near to front of the plane.
Jun 26, 2001, 12:58 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Sounds great, I just pick one up and plan to power it with either Astro 15G or Aveox 1010/2Y with 4.4:1 or 1406/4Y (?)on 12-14 cells. I will have it with floats.

When do you put the battery? I hope to find a place so I don't have to remove the wing and struts everytime.

Brian