Apr 20, 2009, 08:18 AM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Thread OP
Discussion

Prop in a slot BlueWonder jets

I am starting this tread to see if there is anyone interested in developing a series of simple jets based around the ever popular and easy to use Blue Wonder motor, 10amp esc and 500-800 mah battery combination.

Yes I know this has been done before in other threads, but I think it would be fun to develop a series where they all share the same size, basic construction, and hopefully the same flying characteristics.

A few planes that spring to mind: F-16, F-22 Mig-29 The list is endless!

Simple profile fuse with a flat box forming the 'engines' where you can stuff all the gear seens the best way to go for most of the modern jets.

Wing span of around 20 inches and a weight under 9oz should be about right.

I'll put one together over the next few days and see how it looks. Anyone interested?

As a footnote I should explain how this idea came about. I have just completed a 6mmfly Typhoon. Great design great build but I havnt flown it yet due to all kinds of problems ; Broken motor mount, broken prop shaft, broken props x3 ,toasted battery (expensive) I did give it another toss today but the wingtip caught my sleeve on launching and it cartwheeled into the ground.

I flew my B/W powered delta instead. 2 hours to build and it performs without fault every time. So I got thinking....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
As you say done before... 20"Ws is a little small.... maybe 22/24"WS
Lots of motor in the 20-30g 1500kv+ range to chose from....nothing to stop some one modding the Kosh F22 or even the SD ...
Apr 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
Do you have details on the "Blue Wonder Motor"?
What is it?
Apr 20, 2009, 02:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
I don't have a BW, but do have something simular I'd think. Spins a 6x4 prop. Can I join in anyway? I got a few ideas.
Apr 20, 2009, 04:03 PM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Thread OP
Go for it Rusty. These things are going to be a bit toon by definition too.

earlwb. BlueWonder;here
Apr 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thanks. I've got a plane on a plan, 22 inch ws, 28 inches long. Motor is a FC-28. Its not a toon plane, but I might, maybe, never know...
Apr 20, 2009, 04:33 PM
Sounds good to me. I mostly use Blue Wonders with the occasional Blue Monster
thrown in for variety. Looking forward to seeing what we come up with. Warm
regards, Jim
Apr 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
flying?crashing more like it!
I think a good jet to build is a hobby people sportflyer quickjet.the jet flew excellent!I should have made templates.this this jet was killer,however....it was made of say 2mm depron for fuse and 5 or 6mm for wing and tail.so it was short lived.if you sneezed on it,it would break!land with the prop vertical and the whole motor would rip off!and thats with a good landing anyways heres a pic if someone had a pdf for this I would be all over it.they were so cheap thats why I bought one.didn't realize they were soo cheap
http://www.hobbypeople.net/inc/bigim...=150&height=90
Apr 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
zman, isn't that pretty close to most "cat" designs such as these if it helps
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1105
Apr 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
I just want to fly
would regular drawings and a completed plane be acceptable I still suck a google sketchup? if so im in
Apr 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
My plans are in my blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
would regular drawings and a completed plane be acceptable I still suck a google sketchup? if so im in
Its the only way I do my plans, pencil and paper. "The Wright way" (Orville and wilbur Wright). Someday I might try them computer programs though.

I got my plans done. I call it The Spyder Fighter.
Maybe I might have time to cut foam tonight, but unsure. Got to go fly at the school tonight.
Apr 20, 2009, 10:12 PM
hey, i thought the blue wonder motor was for 3d flying, low kv and big prop. Since when did it become a jet motor that requires a higher kv and somewhat smaller prop?
Apr 20, 2009, 10:24 PM
turnigy 2730, the new BW comes in 1300, 1500, 1700, and 3000Kv.
Apr 21, 2009, 12:18 AM
Look outside the Square
TJC, there's always the 22 inch Thunderstruck with a B/W motor. Has had all type of motors put in her (J250, EDF50, BW etc ) and different w/spans ( 17,22,30 inch etc ). Maybe not an F-16 or F-18 etc but still lots of fun and basic as well what ever size and motor used.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...thunderstruck]

Just a thought.

B x
Apr 21, 2009, 02:22 AM
My plans are in my blog
The Spyder Fighter, 6mm Depron. Im='m not quite pleased with the nose area of this version. I'll enlargen it a bit. Its set for a 6x4 APC prop, spun by a small brushless motor (2600 kv). Used tailerons for control. Profile fuselage still needs to be designed.

Quick Reply