Mar 31, 2003, 11:17 AM
Motor Maniac
Thread OP

How to cut EPP for servo installation?

I have a Mini Tornado I am working on. The instructions are rather thin and this is my first EPP plane. What is the best way to cut the bays for the servos and electronics? I have started to just hack away with a sharp Exacto knife, but it seems that there should be a better way.
A little help from any of you experienced EPP builders would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2003, 11:22 AM
The Magician.
A soldering pen/iron with a small tip works well, is cheap if you don't already have one and is very quick.

Justin
Mar 31, 2003, 11:40 AM
Using a fine tip felt pen, trace around your servo.

Using same pen, mark your depth on your x-acto blade.

Cut your servo 'trace' line (inside of line).

Now cut in between your trace lines and create 1/4X1/4 cubes.

Mark your needle nose pliers to same depth.

Starting in the center, insert needle nose to depth line, twist till it 'pops' (approx turn) and pull.

Repeat.
Last edited by William A; Mar 31, 2003 at 11:44 AM.
Mar 31, 2003, 11:58 AM

awesome

I'd have to agree, Justin told me about that trick, worked great, used a pointy tip, and cut the servo holes almost exact...thanks justin, and the problem yesterday was just somthing funky with the motor, I swapped the motor out and it works fine...(justin handed me the controls on my Pocket Combat Wing and me being a newbie hit too much up stalled it and piled it into the ground. after that the motor was weird, I just fried it that was all)
Mar 31, 2003, 04:17 PM
Motor Maniac
Thread OP
Thanks for the ideas. I will probably do a combination of both suggestions. Hog out most of the area with the knife and pliers, then tune the depth with a modified blade in my soldering iron (I have an old iron that came with a knife blade adapter). I don't like melting foam odors, so want to keep the hot knife work to a minimum.

Quick Reply