Thread Tools
Jan 16, 2017, 01:01 PM
Balsa Snob - Mostly
Thanks! Flipped the switch rapidly as if no tomorrow -- why can't the manual simply say that - it worked.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2017, 02:30 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Yeah
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
Mar 16, 2017, 05:12 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
captain MoMo there is a EagleTree Guardian thread in the forums, in fact, there are 2. When you say HK V2.1 and Guardian what does that mean? Are you trying to work out which one to use? The Orange HK V2.1 ? The Guardian is by far the best but if it was me, I would fly and trim the plane first before fitting the Gyro especially if you are unfamiliar with Gyros.

This thread could be helpful. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1838362

EagleTree Forums https://www.rcgroups.com/eagle-tree-systems-443/

Have you tried the EAGLE A3 SUPER II 6 AXIS PROGRAMMABLE AIRPLANE GYRO W/ AUTO-RECOVERY
Mar 16, 2017, 07:45 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman
Have you tried the EAGLE A3 SUPER II 6 AXIS PROGRAMMABLE AIRPLANE GYRO W/ AUTO-RECOVERY
You have responded to a very old post.

As a matter of fact I have tried the A3 Gyro... In fact I have 7 of them. How many do you have?
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
May 08, 2017, 09:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
You have responded to a very old post.

As a matter of fact I have tried the A3 Gyro... In fact I have 7 of them. How many do you have?
None jack a roooo. Forget your manors...
May 09, 2017, 06:45 AM
Mach One
captain MoMo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman
Have you tried the EAGLE A3 SUPER II 6 AXIS PROGRAMMABLE AIRPLANE GYRO W/ AUTO-RECOVERY
Yes I have A3 Super II gyros as well in a few planes. I like them much better than the original A3 Super. The A3 Super II is similar in performance to the Guardian but has a slower response rate which some don't like. After testing both gyros on the same planes I like both very much and each has its benefits. But for me, if I were to pick one it would be the Guardian. I love the simplicity.
May 09, 2017, 07:24 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Yes I have A3 Super II gyros as well in a few planes. I like them much better than the original A3 Super. The A3 Super II is similar in performance to the Guardian but has a slower response rate which some don't like. After testing both gyros on the same planes I like both very much and each has its benefits. But for me, if I were to pick one it would be the Guardian. I love the simplicity.
I am holding out for the new Guardian Advanced that should be out soon.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ou-want-to-see


.
May 09, 2017, 09:03 AM
Mach One
captain MoMo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I am holding out for the new Guardian Advanced that should be out soon.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ou-want-to-see


.
That is cool! I didn't know they are making a new one. As always, I prefer proven stuff and perhaps the advance may be just using the experience they have gained on the 2D/3D? Or is it a complete new platform? If all new then it would take a few years to mature and be reliable !
May 21, 2017, 01:01 AM
WW5
WW5
Registered User
Hey all, I'm getting my first warbird soon and because I'm new to this hobby I getting the Eagle a3 gyro w/ auto recovery system, but I'm not sure if I have enough Channels on my radio . I haves 6 channels on my radio and the planes limit is 6 channels. Could I still put in a gyro
May 21, 2017, 01:22 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
It depends on whether the ailerons share a channel with a Y lead or if they require seperate channels. A Y lead is best in your case.

The Gyro needs a channel with a 3 position switch.
1 ailerons
2 elevator
3 throttle
4 rudder
5 landing gear
6 flaps or gyro
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
May 21, 2017, 01:31 AM
WW5
WW5
Registered User
Thanks Grantham kid, so if I used a gyro instead of the rudder would that work, or would that make the plane were it couldn't taxi?
Last edited by WW5; May 21, 2017 at 01:41 AM.
May 21, 2017, 02:01 AM
WJH
WJH
Registered User
I'd suggest one learns to fly on a trainer first before playing with gyros, simply fewer varaibles to play with. Once you have the basics down, you can add the other variables into play.
I do not get this ego thing about flying without a gyro. A stable airplane in calm wind can make an average pilot look like a pro, just like an unstable airplane in calm wind can make a pro look terrible. Newbies and Pro's both require a platform that is predictable and responds to commands reliably. A gyro allows things to be done that are simply humanly impossible. By the time your brain registers what your eyes are seeing, well that damn gyro already updated the servo 30 times to maintain stability.
At first, all I wanted was RTH for FPV flying as a backup. Everything else is added value that is fun to play with. The gyro is insurance, and allows me to fly when others are affraid to. I've had my Ardupilot crash during flight, and disarmed my esc, causing me to deadstick a landing. These things are not to be 100% relied upon, and every time you turn on auto mode and watch your airplane fly itself, you are taking a risk.
May 21, 2017, 02:47 AM
WW5
WW5
Registered User
Thanks WJH, but when you say a trainer are you talking about a regular trainer or a warbird trainer? Cause if your taking about a regular trainer I've been flying one for a while now.
May 21, 2017, 04:12 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
WW5. The rudder in our case really only gets used for taxiing and take-off.
HOWEVER the gyro has a specific output for rudder and can help keep the plane straight when taking off.
You will still get significant benefit from the gyro in flight even if rudder is not connected to it.
You haven't mentioned what Radio system you use but hopefully it has a 3 position switch.
A system with a 2 position switch can still be used and I helped a friend set his up a week or two ago and it works well but of course you can only use 2 modes instead of 3. Luckily you can choose what modes you want.
Latest blog entry: A bit about me
May 21, 2017, 04:36 AM
WJH
WJH
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW5
Thanks WJH, but when you say a trainer are you talking about a regular trainer or a warbird trainer? Cause if your taking about a regular trainer I've been flying one for a while now.
Well, I think its a good thing to push yourself to the next level. You won't know if you are ready until you try it. If I held myself back in my professional career, I wouldn't be where I am today. Every step of the way, I felt not ready.

Just a sugestion, the Flite Test 2x4 foam board airplane you can build for 5$ is very sporty, twitchy, a bit of a handful as a second airplane. If you can fly that just fine, you can fly anything. I'd fly that first, before sending a 500$ warbird up.

I use a Taranis X7 radio, and I have basically unlimited number of flight modes. I use two switches currently to select 6 different flight modes on my ardupilot. If the ardupilot fixed wing software allowed for 9 flight modes, I'd have it no problem, with the use of logical switches.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Check on an RC Bike (Again, lol) RastaManBob Motorcycles 9 Nov 04, 2004 12:52 PM
First time on an RC airfield. Mendnwngs Fuel Plane Talk 18 Aug 03, 2004 09:57 AM
The most ridiculous use of an RC Airplane soholingo Electric Plane Talk 64 Dec 23, 2002 03:16 AM