Dec 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedexas
It doesn't, your stick movement and servo movement have nothing to do with each other when a gyro is involved.

A gyro listens to the receiver input and determines the required servo deflection based on the sensor readout. Sensor readout on the ground is always zero, so your servo deflection on the ground will always be different than it is in the air.

You never limit the servo deflection with your transmitter stick, you limit it with the endpoint adjustment on the gyro itself.
It doesn't, your stick movement and servo movement have nothing to do with each other when a gyro is involved.

Also not when gain=0?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies

Also not when gain=0?
Even when gain = 0, the travel limit is set by the gyro, not the transmitter. Gain = 0 does not disable the gyro, it only makes it unresponsive to the sensor readout.
Dec 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
It won't truncate the last 50% of the movement when it's actually in the air and moving and the gain is not zero.
At least that's what I've found. I fly the futaba GY401 and Detrum GY48V mostly and its the case with both of those.

Try this, Set your Dual rates so that its like 50% and the movement is not truncated. Then fly and roll (assuming your gyro is on ailerons) then flip dual rates again. If it was truely truncating in the air then you'd see no difference.

I tried to show that in the video.

Now, if the gain is zero, then YES, it will truncate it. But I don't normally fly a gyro enabled plane with the gain off unless it's the rudder. I pretty much never turn off an aileron gyro for the single axis gyros. One more reason why the new 3 axis systems work good.

Just do it yourself and give it a shot.

BTW, with the gain set to zero
Dec 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
It won't truncate the last 50% of the movement when it's actually in the air and moving and the gain is not zero.
At least that's what I've found. I fly the futaba GY401 and Detrum GY48V mostly and its the case with both of those.

Try this, Set your Dual rates so that its like 50% and the movement is not truncated. Then fly and roll (assuming your gyro is on ailerons) then flip dual rates again. If it was truely truncating in the air then you'd see no difference.

I tried to show that in the video.

Now, if the gain is zero, then YES, it will truncate it. But I don't normally fly a gyro enabled plane with the gain off unless it's the rudder. I pretty much never turn off an aileron gyro for the single axis gyros. One more reason why the new 3 axis systems work good.

Just do it yourself and give it a shot.

BTW, with the gain set to zero
thanks Melnic , i wil try that for sure.
Dec 31, 2012, 09:02 PM

Orange HK Won't Reverse

I'm installing a new HK Orange; noting your caution about the gain pots. But I can't get the ELE gyro to reverse. Same response in either switch position. AIL and RUD seen to work OK. Is this a case of what-do-you-expect-for-14-bucks? Any suggestions?

Quote:
OK, if you ordered one, it will work but heed warnings about where to set the POTs and how sensitive they are.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=291
Dec 31, 2012, 11:23 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbuster
I'm installing a new HK Orange; noting your caution about the gain pots. But I can't get the ELE gyro to reverse. Same response in either switch position. AIL and RUD seen to work OK. Is this a case of what-do-you-expect-for-14-bucks? Any suggestions?
One test: put a spare servo on the HK Orange's ELE channel output to see if the servo thinks that the channel is behaving normally.
Test 2 (if not done already): put the ELE gyro on another Rx channel and see if the gyro behaves normally there.
Jan 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
Somehow, I was able to get it to reverse. Must have been a sticky switch. They are micro-micros. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
One test: put a spare servo on the HK Orange's ELE channel output to see if the servo thinks that the channel is behaving normally.
Test 2 (if not done already): put the ELE gyro on another Rx channel and see if the gyro behaves normally there.
Jan 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
If you watch this video, at about 1 min 08 seconds you will see the effect of too much gain on the gyro when speed builds up in the model. I had to land and back it off. This is an excellent example. This is the HK V2 gyro and they are speed sensitive unlike other better brands that I have used. If you are going to use switching to turn the Gyro on/off, make certain the servos still operate in the same direction when the Gyro is off before you fly.

Dynam T28 Trojan Flight at Gatton, Queensland (1 min 45 sec)
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 01, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Jan 01, 2013, 11:57 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
If you watch this video, at about 1 min 08 seconds you will see the effect of too much gain on the gyro when speed builds up in the model. I had to land and back it off. This is an excellent example. This is the HK V2 gyro and they are speed sensitive unlike other better brands that I have used. If you are going to use switching to turn the Gyro on/off, make certain the servos still operate in the same direction when the Gyro is off before you fly.

https://vimeo.com/56580209
Which HK V2 is this? The flight stabilization. 3 axis system or other AVCS gyro?
Jan 02, 2013, 05:07 AM
Yep this one
Jan 02, 2013, 06:26 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Yep this one
Thanks. I also have the V1 version that I will be using in one of my planes. What gain should I start with initially on the V2 version? I also have a few V2 versions, which are smaller than the V1 version. Other than size, what is the major difference between V1 and V2?

Thanks!!
Jan 02, 2013, 07:01 AM
I've found if I move the plane abruptly, say in yaw, the rudder moves to about half of its normal throw. This is just a place to start. I found the ails need more sensitivity than the rud. or elev.

Gord.
Jan 02, 2013, 02:01 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Quote:

From the page:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/ailerongyroinstall1.html
"....If you do get some oscillation, you will simply slow the plane down and land. Oscillations with a gyro on an airplane typically get WORSE the faster you fly so look for them in a high speed dive."

I kind of want to politely argue against the "speed sensitive unlike other better brands that I have used" statement. The plane went into a shallow dive and must have picked up airspeed. Depending on the gain, the stiffness of the controlls, the throw, the gyro, the mounting, the servos speed, the servo centering, Oscillations can happend with any plane on the aileron axis, it just has to hit a high enough speed. This won't happen as much on an Eagle tree, or it will only happen temporarily. I would argue, that the gain was just too high for that particular electrical and mechanical setup if you decide to fly it at that speed.

It may be the case that like the V1, the gain dial is sensitive though. My V2 has STILL NOT ARRIVED even though I ordered it a couple days after it came out.
Jan 02, 2013, 02:44 PM
My Flash did the same thing on elev in a shallow dive. Backed off on the gain and everything was fine. This is on the V1. although I don't know why it wouldn't be any different on the V2.

Gord.
Jan 02, 2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
From the page:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/ailerongyroinstall1.html
"....If you do get some oscillation, you will simply slow the plane down and land. Oscillations with a gyro on an airplane typically get WORSE the faster you fly so look for them in a high speed dive."

I kind of want to politely argue against the "speed sensitive unlike other better brands that I have used" statement. The plane went into a shallow dive and must have picked up airspeed. Depending on the gain, the stiffness of the controlls, the throw, the gyro, the mounting, the servos speed, the servo centering, Oscillations can happend with any plane on the aileron axis, it just has to hit a high enough speed. This won't happen as much on an Eagle tree, or it will only happen temporarily. I would argue, that the gain was just too high for that particular electrical and mechanical setup if you decide to fly it at that speed.

It may be the case that like the V1, the gain dial is sensitive though. My V2 has STILL NOT ARRIVED even though I ordered it a couple days after it came out.
If you note in the video, the plane was actually climbing. I landed , backed off the gain and flew again with high speed low passes and no problems as in the second video I posted. It was all from too much gain. There is no aileron oscillation after reducing gain, even though I was flying considerably faster.
A good place to start is adjusting until there is a little more than a small movement when you lift the wing quickly on the ground, then you can increase it by a very small amount until you are satisfied.
Here is the second video with gain reduced and fast flyby etc and no aileron oscillation. I think this proves my point.
CaptainMoMo... The only difference is as you stated, size and the ability to switch on and off remotely. Read post #2964 above re checking servo direction is the same if gyro is off or on before you fly.
Melnic I also have an Eagletree Guardian coming to play with.

Putting the Dynam T28 Trojan through its' Paces (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jan 02, 2013 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply