Nov 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
Hello doll of you again I recognize so many names of people who have helped me on this. I've question does the Gyro override the rates set up in the tx?

I mean if I have things set up where the ailerons only move up and down 3/8 of an inch in the Gyro wants to take them to half an inch can it do that?

Thank you,
DJ
Yes, unfortunately the gyro is agnostic of the Tx settings. You will need to set the gyro's limit. It may have a pot for that (usually a screw on the top cover) or it may have a way to set it up electronically. Please refer to your gyro's manual, look for "limit".

Keep in mind that after setting the gyro's limit you may have to reset the endpoints on the Tx.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
The A3 Pro is at Heads Up RC now for $32 including shipping. I've had pretty good luck setting them up on flying wings and standard airframes.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-A3-Pro/Detail
Nov 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Scratch building addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8
I'm not familiar with your gyro, but in general you need to place a gyro on the "plane" that your aircraft is rotating, when the control you want to stabilize is used.

If you want to stabilize ailerons, that is, aircraft ROLL, the gyro should be looking "forward" (flying direction) or back. If the aircraft had a pilot, the gyro's top label should be parallel to his chest.
Thanks!

this agrees with a post I found last night on HK forums.
Nov 26, 2012, 11:46 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike
The A3 Pro is at Heads Up RC now for $32 including shipping. I've had pretty good luck setting them up on flying wings and standard airframes.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-A3-Pro/Detail
Awesome and if you notice, they are showing it with the required cables which goodluckbuy does not give you.

I've added it to the gyro list
RC Airplane Gyro List
Has anyone purchased an A3 from headsup to confirm the cables?
Nov 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Thanks!

this agrees with a post I found last night on HK forums.
Did you refer to mycoolrc's pages?
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/GyroMounting.html

post a link to your gyro and we can help
Dec 05, 2012, 10:51 AM
Flying is Freedom
Hey guys, I'm a newb to gyros on planes. I found this thread through mycoolrc.com. I have also just ordered two gyros to experience different things. I ordered one HK Orange Gyro and one GY48V.
My purpose is probably like most. I just want to stabilize my planes a bit on windy days. I have a few with singe aileron servos but I also have a few with dual ailerons servos. Did anyone ever figure out how that works? Also on the HK orange Gyro, I know I need three male to male servo jumpers, but what length should I get? I'm asking because I don't really know anything about the set up yet.
Thanks
Dec 07, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Thread OP
If you have dual aileron, you hook them up with a Y connector to the gyro output.
BTW, orangRX gyro has a V2 now. I have one on order
Dec 08, 2012, 08:46 AM
Flying is Freedom
Thanks, I just ordered mine so I wonder if it's the V2, it was $17.99 so I hope so
Dec 08, 2012, 12:14 PM
From what I understand is that the V2 can allow for seperate aileron or elevator channels. In the case of having flaperons it can be used. Is this correct?

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=28456
Dec 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
All Orange are V2 version now. Definitely V2 at $17.99. I have 2 coming myself. Read the comments below the item on HK and many questions are answered there. If you have dual aileron servos, there are 2 Aileron 'outs' OR you can use a Y lead. You need 3 male to male connector leads and you can get them as short as 3 cm and long ones are available as well. It depends how far your reciever is from the mounted position of your stabilizer.
These are the ones with JR connectors:
Short ones. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=23036 3 cm 10 per pack
Long ones. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0pcs_set_.html 20 cm 10 per pack

WhalleyBOY. Correct. The Orange Stabilizer has a seperate channel each for , 1. Ailerons (roll) 2. Rudder (yaw) 3. Elevator (pitch) Each is independently adjustable. So long as your servos have the available 'throw' your flaperons should work as usual. Of course you need 2 servos in this case.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Dec 08, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Dec 08, 2012, 05:46 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8
Yes, unfortunately the gyro is agnostic of the Tx settings. You will need to set the gyro's limit. It may have a pot for that (usually a screw on the top cover) or it may have a way to set it up electronically. Please refer to your gyro's manual, look for "limit".

Keep in mind that after setting the gyro's limit you may have to reset the endpoints on the Tx.
Not always a bad thing. If you get a windy day, the gyro may need that extra movement to deal with gusts. This will not affect your flying settings so you shouldn't notice.
Dec 08, 2012, 08:12 PM
Flying is Freedom
This is all great news. I can't wait to try it out
Dec 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Suspended Account
Hello all

Been a helo pilot for about 6 years and am also a real world pilot.

But also have a E-Flite Apprentice that I play around with from time to time as its fun too.

Apprentice is a great plane for the casual R/C plane guy but about my only complaint about it is that it can be kinda twitch especially in the wind.

This is all my opinion but in the simplest way I can put it, I feel that with all its advantageous lift and built in quick to response/correct self flying aerodynamics features the whole point to this plane has, this makes it super easy to fly, but as well means it has a very small window for anything to cause it to be twitchy too.

So in looking for some ways to calm that down and knowing very well all the things of gyros on helos, and even now the FBL system, thought this ideal has very good potential for this.

Anyways, despite all the other things I know, I know squat about the plane dedicated ones and also this application being used on a plane so if all don't mind, was just looking to ask a couple of questions.

First, just how do these in general work for a tail dragger plane (converted the AP) during take off with the tail?

In other words, as it starts to go down the runway, the tail is going to lift on its own due to angel of attack....so what keeps the gyro (in heading hold mode) from stopping that?

Next I was looking at this list http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/gyroLINKS.html ...and was just wondering if there are any other units other then the Eagle Tree that have remote gain? And also are there any that have the 3 axis on individual remote gains?

Basically where I would be putting any unit would be inside where getting to it is kinda a pain, so would really be better for it if I had a remote gain. Also know that the adjustment for this really needs to be in the air.

But also would imagine that I will be looking for different amounts of gain per control items, so would think I would want that.

Hope that all wasn't too long and thanks for any help.
Dec 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
Flying is Freedom
WBF Air,
Welcome and good questions. Being a total newb myself to plane gyros, I will be reading the replies intently.
I would like to add a very general ignorant question. Remember ignorant doesn't mean stupid it just means you don't know
How exactly does a 3 axis gyro help keep the plane from bouncing around and how much does it effect tx controls? Also, how does the gyro sense direction or angle and how much output does it send the the corresponding servos?
I know all gyros have their own characteristics so I'm specifically asking about the HK Orange and the GY48V, I have one of both on the way.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Oh yeh, WBF, hurry and post again, your now have 666post
Dec 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
Flying is Freedom
Looks like we have a new contender

http://www.freeflysystems.com/produc...fly-radian.php
After reading a little more about this, I see it is different that what I thought. Pretty neat though

I forgot to mention earlier, I got to go fly yesterday. Freakish break in the Dec winter weather. I just took 4 planes but only got to fly 3 of them.
First up was my mini Swift power glider from HK. The breeze was kicking up a little high for this bird and it was proving to be a challenge. I was wishing I had a micro gyro to help smooth things out. Does anyone know of a micro gyro that could be used in such a small plane?
Second up was my Mini T-28 from HK. No problem with the wind at all. A little ballooning when turning into the wind but that's normal and expected and easy to correct because you know it's coming.
Third up was my Stinger 60 from HK. Absolutely a great flyer and wind up to 15mph doesn't effect it at all.
Fourth was going to be the maiden of my Moray which is supposed to be very good in wind, but I forgot to secure my rx while setting it up and I didn't have anything with me to do it with, so it was a no go
Anyway, great afternoon flying just before dark, but still some proof that I like the idea of gyros in my planes that need it in windy days. My Parkzone F4F Wildcat is another one I will be putting a gyro in.

Quick Reply