Thread Tools
Apr 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Flightpower Eon vs Eon-X


Saw a post somewhere about new Flightpower Eon-x batteries
are these newer than "Eon"
does anyone have any idea about the difference between them ?
thanks
Allan
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2009, 02:57 AM
JustFlying
rebell's Avatar
Maybe there was a problem with the EON and now they bring out the EON-X. I know there are some EON batteries that where already discontinued some time ago. Reason?
Apr 18, 2009, 06:02 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Jocke's Avatar
I have been testing the EON-X for some time now, its quite a big uppgrade from EON and current Lipo batterys on the market today. The resone why they bring out EON-X now already is becas there have been production problem with the EON, to fix this and have full production we get EON-X, first out will be the 30C, and its much more powerfull than the EON33 for example and other 30-35c rated packs on the market, in fact the 25c EON-X is up with same power as todays 30-33c rated packs, testing in 3D heli a prototype version that is not even perfectly matched, it holds up to 3,75v/cell avg and other packs in same size and spec holds 3,5-3,6v/cell. Maby the most importand aspects of the EON-X will be the fast charge and sycle life even at high C loads.
Apr 24, 2009, 11:48 AM
Glassy waters to all
UbHauled's Avatar
Do you have a discharge chart?
Last edited by UbHauled; Apr 24, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Apr 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
write2dgray's Avatar
What kind of fast charge rates are permitted? Is this another 5C charge rate cell? I want some 10C charges on LiPos! It'd be nice to apply 20A from the iCharger 208B on my 2200mAh cells to get a full charge from 80% depletion in ~6-7 minutes.

- David
Apr 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
Glassy waters to all
UbHauled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
What kind of fast charge rates are permitted? Is this another 5C charge rate cell? I want some 10C charges on LiPos! It'd be nice to apply 20A from the iCharger 208B on my 2200mAh cells to get a full charge from 80% depletion in ~6-7 minutes.

- David
That would be awesome David I am with you, BUT keep in mind that the higher the Charge rate, the shorter lipo life you'll have...
Apr 24, 2009, 12:31 PM
write2dgray's Avatar
Not necessarily. New cells are claiming little to no impact on cycle life from high C charging. Time (not marketing) will tell. I often charge at 2-3C using quality cells and have experienced no impact on cycle life.
Apr 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
Glassy waters to all
UbHauled's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
Not necessarily. New cells are claiming little to no impact on cycle life from high C charging. Time (not marketing) will tell. I often charge at 2-3C using quality cells and have experienced no impact on cycle life.
Hi David, Jan here...

how long have you charged them at this rate?
I wish I could remember where I read that it shortens cells life.
Apr 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
write2dgray's Avatar
Hey Jan! I've been using 2C-3C on some test packs for ~1 1/2 years. I keep detailed logs and 1C charge other identical packs for a control sample. I've experienced no demonstrable effect on capacity charging at these rates and many others have reported similar results.

Note : this should only be done with newer high C rated packs (15C-40C cont. rated, manuf. in last 1-2 years) or those packs rated for such. And ONLY when using a quality charger with integrated balancing to allow for individual cell monitoring and charge current tapering to prevent cells from exceeding max. permissible voltage of 4.20V/cell.
Apr 24, 2009, 01:03 PM
Glassy waters to all
UbHauled's Avatar
Interesting, I am assuming that the packs are holding up voltage as well as the holding charge when sitting on the shelf, right?
Well, I'll try to find the article I've read and post a link or file here...
Apr 24, 2009, 01:14 PM
write2dgray's Avatar
Oh yeah, no problems whatsoever with that. The only impact/risk I've heard associated with high charge rates is decreased cycle life, which I have not experienced.
Apr 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Jocke's Avatar
Yes i have grafs and some data, but letts whait untill FlightPower makes these new cells official first.
Apr 24, 2009, 02:46 PM
write2dgray's Avatar
Aight.

Are there any official info. releases from FP on the new EON-X line?

The Eon line has to be the shortest lived product line in battery history. How long were they available, ~2 months?

- David
Apr 25, 2009, 04:33 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Jocke's Avatar
No i dont think there are any official info of the EON-X yet, but there will be soon.
Apr 25, 2009, 10:57 AM
JustFlying
rebell's Avatar
Quote:
I have been testing the EON-X for some time now, its quite a big uppgrade from EON and current Lipo batterys on the market today. The resone why they bring out EON-X now already is becas there have been production problem with the EON, to fix this and have full production we get EON-X, first out will be the 30C, and its much more powerfull than the EON33 for example and other 30-35c rated packs on the market, in fact the 25c EON-X is up with same power as todays 30-33c rated packs, testing in 3D heli a prototype version that is not even perfectly matched, it holds up to 3,75v/cell avg and other packs in same size and spec holds 3,5-3,6v/cell. Maby the most importand aspects of the EON-X will be the fast charge and sycle life even at high C loads.
Jocke, the problem with this information is that you are connected to FP and as seen in other threads you will say anything to let them look good. As indicated by others as well, only independent information will be believed.
Last edited by rebell; Apr 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold NIB FlightPower EON Lite 20C 5S 5400mAh pack Fidelity101 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 Apr 17, 2009 01:23 AM
Discussion New FlightPower EON batteries rebell Batteries and Chargers 3 Jan 02, 2009 03:17 PM
Question 11 x 3.8 APC SF vs. 11 x 4.7 SF APC? Shortman Power Systems 5 Feb 01, 2004 12:12 PM
Wally Wing -Vs- ZAGI400(x) Bsmooth Foamies (Kits) 5 Aug 15, 2002 04:11 PM
rocket wing vs zagi x Which why funflyer Foamies (Kits) 7 Jul 15, 2001 09:00 PM