Jan 05, 2016, 12:10 PM
Jaketheone46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak52Driver View Post
Yes, I found out about theTaranis issue the hard way, lots of smoke and a very warm battery pack; that I decided to throw away just in case it was damaged, it seemed false economy to have a $500+ model hanging off the end of a suspect $10 battery pack.
Did this fry the tx as well?? Seems like this would be a disaster with the pack and the radio..I have the 9x and bought the nano tech from HK which is set up for a taranis or a 9x disaster...I checked and fixed the polarity the same as on the battery holder that came with my 9x..I wonder how many people have ruined their new pack and tx over this...did your tx survive this?? And I wonder if not what all would need replaced in the tx?? Or better is there a fuse their for this to save the tx??
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2016, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Did this fry the tx as well?? Seems like this would be a disaster with the pack and the radio..I have the 9x and bought the nano tech from HK which is set up for a taranis or a 9x disaster...I checked and fixed the polarity the same as on the battery holder that came with my 9x..I wonder how many people have ruined their new pack and tx over this...did your tx survive this?? And I wonder if not what all would need replaced in the tx?? Or better is there a fuse their for this to save the tx??
No damage to the TX, just a very high momentary discharge on the battery, I suspect if I hadn't immediately pulled the plug the current flow would have damaged the board where the pins are soldered, but it really was momentary. I initially didn't realise what I had done and was fearful I had blown the TX and the SmartieParts Extreme board! Thankfully it was a dead short and not a reverse polarity. I have now finished my upgrade, with Taranis Gimbals, Xtreme Board, and XJT module; this probably hasn't worked out any cheaper than buying a Taranis, but I prefer the operating system that Mike B is developing and I can now plug in the original RF module and use $9 RXs on my cheaper models and swap back to the XJT for more expensive models. If I didn't already have a dozen of the cheaper RXs in models I wouldn't have worried and just gone with the XJT for everything.
Jan 15, 2017, 05:53 AM
BEL 31 "Tiger" Sqn
Okay guys, I need some help...

I did the conversion like on this video:
Turnigy 9x Firmware upgrade the easy way (8 min 46 sec)

Then I open OpenTX Compagnion and set to USB tiny, m128, usb like in the video at 8:45.
When i try to read the firmware the program says: "avrdude.exe: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)"
Same with TX on or off.

USB connection is active and display on the TX is active...
Checked and re-checked my solderings and all.
Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Is it due to the fact that I have the ISP on foto 1 instead of the ISP on foto 2?
The one in de video is the blue one and not the purple one I have...

Thanks for any info!
Feb 01, 2017, 04:25 AM
This message normally means, that you do not have installed the required (or a wrong) driver for your converter

Reinhard
Sep 11, 2017, 08:12 AM
elliptical = beauty
so is the usb tiny m128 unit that Whisper31Tiger is using the preferred method nowadays for firmware upgrade?

if so...where do you purchase that unit?
Sep 11, 2017, 10:20 AM
Registered Loser
I'm biased, of course, but I think a permanent installed dedicated programmer specifically designed for this transmitter is the way to go
Feb 14, 2018, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
In the 1960's, the Rolls Royce of British R/C was Flightlink.
The main man of the company was Idris Francis.
Idris developed a joystick that used a magnet and coil, rather than a carbon track potentiometer. This was for use in electric wheelchairs.
Because there were no moving parts (i.e. track and wiper), this obviated any potential (no pun intended) accidents that a faulty poti might cause.
Idris patented the joystick, which is now used globally on wheelchairs and this made his fortune.
I was indeed the "main man" of Flight Link Control Ltd, which I started with 2 friends in 1964 to make Britain's first true proportional system i.e. with feedback servos - though that first version had 2 proportional channels and 1 progressive. All later systems were "full house" using my own time-division multiplex system.

By the mid 1970's low-cost competition from the East made life impossible for each British manufacturer in turn but I was very lucky to be able to switch to volume manufacturing of the compact potentiometer joysticks I designed in 1971 for our Series 4 outfit. They are still in production today, by another company and sold in many countries including the USA.

However late in 1979 we were running into serious problems in electric wheelchair applications with short life, "noisy" signals and inconsistent quality even with good quality pots so, realising that we could not hope to make better pots than the major manufacturers I decided that the only solution was to design a joystick that does not use them.

A colleague and I drew up the basic idea in 3 hours, starting with a blank sheet of paper and we were in production by Easter 1980. That first design was so good that it became the de facto world standard for electric wheelchairs, with sales of 8,000 a month by the early 1990's and remains in volume production today, though in competition with relatively new type that uses a Hall Effect microchip to detect the XY coordinates of a small magnet on the end of the lever. About that time we won a Queen's Award for Exports with an 85% export rate, 95% of the USA wheelchair market and I sold the company, to retire and do what I wanted in the first place - fly models and restore classic cars!

Incidentally, I decided to comment here just to correct one point in the original post - the inductive contactless system does not use a "magnet and a coil" but one coil on the end of the lever and 4 smaller coils below it. This allows synchronous detection of the 20kh voltages picked up by the 4 smaller coils as the larger one moves above them, very effectively filtering out interference. In the mid 1980's, for safety reasons, we added a "dual decode" version in which any discrepancy between the primary signals and the back-up signals generated a "fault" signal.

I was about to write "unfortunately they are too big to fit in RC transmitters" when I remembered the astonishing this engineers can do now if anyone wants to put in the effort, I am confident it could be done!

Lots of info on the web, or from me

Idris Francis
Feb 15, 2018, 06:41 AM
PJG
PJG
Ad astra per alia porci
Hello Idris,

It seems that you have been hiding your light under the RCGroups bushel for quite a time!

Here's a bit more history for you: In the early 60's, I and some school-friends relaunched the Farnborough Model Club that had been dormant for a few years.
We organised a spot landing comp on "Radio Hill" at Chobham Common, of which you were the winner, with a small s/c model.
This must have been prior to your Flightlink era, as I left school and the area in 1964.

I became aware of your joystick innovation years later when it was featured on TV. But for the fact that your name was unusual enough to remain in a deep recess in my brain, it would not have rung any bells. How strange the way that memory works (synapses permitting).

Regards, PJG
Jul 31, 2019, 08:18 AM
Hello Idris,

"I was indeed the "main man" of Flight Link Control Ltd, which I started with 2 friends in 1964 to make Britain's first true proportional system i.e. with feedback servos - though that first version had 2 proportional channels and 1 progressive

Nice to meet real boss.

I am building large team to start manufacture of remote controlled electric wheelchairs, featuring FollowMe (follow me mode known from golf carts)

What comes next is solar powered electric weheelchair + Follow Me mode

Let me know your opinion.

Electric wheelchair stays for 4-wheel small electric car (for special use)

I would like to build one for World Solar Challenge Australia 2021

Replacing passenger by more electronics, battery pack, cameras, computers, radar, Lidar, obstacle detection system .....
makes sense
since investment is still limited to pocket price
Sep 15, 2019, 04:19 AM
SEAP ... Full Year Sun Shining
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmatrix
You can compare these two, one is v2 and other firmware prior to v2.
turnigy firmware

screenshot of firmware prior to v2

for example mixing is not working properly (cannot mix aux to ail)

screenshot of firmware v2

latest firmware
Thanks Mate
Sep 10, 2022, 07:32 PM
anyone know where I can find a replacement battery holder with the white connector into the original 9x? Or even better, a plug in replacement rechargeable Lipo/Life?
Sep 10, 2022, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
anyone know where I can find a replacement battery holder with the white connector into the original 9x? Or even better, a plug in replacement rechargeable Lipo/Life?
Did you try Hobbyking?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us
Sep 10, 2022, 10:03 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Most likely, you’ll have to solder an adapter cable to what ever battery or holder you decide to go with, particularly because of the polarity of the Tx’s battery connector. The center pin is Positive and the outer two pins are Negative.

The Tx’s battery connector is a JST-XH 2S male balance connector (female housing, male pins). These are sold pretty much every where, or can be salvaged from old/dead 2S lipos.

https://www.racedayquads.com/product...s%20(by%20type)
Sep 11, 2022, 02:46 PM
Cool I actually do have an old 2s lipo I could sacrifice to this cause. I think the battery holder is okay but one of the wires into the plug was almost completely corroded away. Was getting no power to the TX and when I gently tugged on the wire into the plug it easily came out. Theres a bit of corrosion on the inside of the battery box but I got rid of most of it.

Oh, I take it back, my 2s lipos are all for micros and the plug is too small. Will see if I can find one to buy, or maybe i can get lucky and find a tx pack with the plug.

Would this one work/fit in the battery box?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ucts_analytics
Last edited by seeingeyegod; Sep 11, 2022 at 02:52 PM.
Sep 11, 2022, 04:35 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
Would this one work/fit in the battery box?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ucts_analytics
I’d say, yes.
The product description says the dimensions are 97x30x30, which is pretty much the exact size as the battery in my previous post.

Although all the connectors on the hobbyking battery are not shown clearly, from the one picture in that listing, there seems to be a white connector for a Jr transmitter, a servo (Futaba?) connector, and a 3S JST-XH (4 pin) balance connector. My LifePo4 also has this servo connector and it will physically plug into the Tx’s connector. It has the center pin as positive and negative on one side. I guess that connector will technically work, but I would still make up an adapter cable.

The main problem is that the battery lacks a discharge plug that can fit into a charger to recharge it. On my battery, I elected to remove the Jr connector and replaced it with the common red JST connector for the charger. And then an adapter to connect it to the 9X.

Quick Reply