Apr 17, 2009, 07:08 AM
Why did I start this madness?
Thread OP
Discussion

Guillows Stearman electric conversion

Hi, I'm just about to start to build a Guillows Stearman ( I already did one for display) and I would like to transform this one in an electric RC flyer.
I've seen a couple of threads about it but they seem a bit dated. Anyone could give me some suggestions about which motor/servos/batteries i should use and some building tricks? (EX: where to put servos, on the wings or in the fuselage, using push/pull or rods.. which colours to be used to spray the model etc) I would like to mount a brushless motor with Li-Po batteries, the present threads do not seem to be updated.
Many thanks to anybody will help me. Any kind of help is welcome.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thread OP

Let's start...

Ok, I've started a while ago the building of the Guillow's Stearman, this thread is intended for anybody who wants to do the same. I am an absolute beginner, this is my first built rc model, so I've asked help to other bloggers, specially to PBurres to whom I want to send all my thanks for his help. Jugjock has been another inspirational figure, I suggest everybody to check his thread, it's an amazingly detailed thread in which you will find lots of info and see what a serious workplace is.
E-challenged, Sgtdirt and WTFLYR helped me a lot also, THANKS FOLKS!!!
As I told you I started a while ago and now I'm still working on the model, I thought I had a good Motor/ESC set but more than one bloggers told me that it's too heavy, but we'll speak about this subject later, for now let's post some pictures following the building. Hope this will be useful to somebody.
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 25, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
Jan 07, 2010, 12:32 PM
Thread OP

First steps

After doing what everybody have to do (Separating the bloody pieces from the sheets) I started with the fusealage, here are the pictures. I decided not to build the whole fusealage in one shot because I did not know how to position the servos and all the hardware inside, so I left aside three of the right central struts to have an easier access when the time to put ESC,Push rods and other stuff would come. Following Pburres suggestions I carved some balsa from the rear structure pieces to light-up the tail. You can see what I mean in the pictures of the whole model a couple of posts after this.
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 07, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Jan 07, 2010, 12:34 PM
Thread OP

Tail

The second part I built was the tail, easy enough. The pieces, once joined, required a bit of "Reshaping" with the good old sandpaper...
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 07, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Jan 07, 2010, 12:53 PM
Thread OP

Wings

Starting as usual with the tedious job of separating the pieces, a good file is required to file the slots of the wing struts. As per instructions I put some piece of balsa under the front strut to have the right height.
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 07, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Jan 07, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thread OP

Wings 2

I had an Idea.... to fix the wings to the fusealage with rubber bands, so I used big blocks of balsa where the reinforcements are due to be positioned on which I will attach small hooks. This has been my first Idea, I don't know if I will go for that, anyway, this is what I've done. You can see clearly the reinforcements with the small holes for the hooks. The idea seems good, maybe I will use both, glue and rubber bands, I'm concerned that the wings slots might be too small and, therefore, too weak to bear the wings in place, even with a strong glue. We'll see...
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 07, 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Jan 07, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thread OP

Bottom wing and ailerons

Instead of using Hinges I decided to re-shape the ailerons cutting them at a certain angle, in this way I will be able to tape them to the wing instead of using Hinges. In my opinion this will improve the functionality also. Am I right???
Another decision I made is to use servos on the wings instead of a torsion bar. Seemed to me safer and easier....
Jan 07, 2010, 02:09 PM
Thread OP

Tail/Rudder

Here's the rudder... nothing special...
Jan 07, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thread OP

All together..

Here's the model so far....
Jan 08, 2010, 01:11 PM
Thread OP

Tail

Well, now I finished the tail, instead of gluing two ribs (One up and one down) as per plan I put just one a bit wider "inside" the frame to save weight and hassle. It looks nice to me...
Jan 10, 2010, 08:12 AM
Thread OP

Now the Hardware..

On first instance I thought to put the ESC in the position shown in the first picture, but I had to face space problems. The wires were just too big to fit , so After a long search I realized that there is a perfect spot for that. just over the bottom wing... see picture 2,3 and 4 of this post.
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 10, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Jan 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
Thread OP

Time to put the motor mount

I 've mounted the vinyl firewall with a good bit of Araldite Glue, then I proceeded to build the motor mount.
The easiest and simpler way, in my opinion, was to use what I had in the box, so I used the circular pieces of balsa that came with the kit and I made some more with some of the balsa sheets available.
When everything was in place I noticed that I had to slightly modify the motor mount because was a bit too long and the cowl was touching the motor itself , so I will probably have to cut a bit more of the final part of the cowl and shorten the motor mount itself a little taking off some balsa rings....
Anyway, I had a different motor with a longer shaft so I decided that I would build another motor mount just in case I would have gone for the motor N.2. When I mounted the Prop and I connected the Esc to the receiver and the battery, I heard , for the first time , the voice of my model, MY FIRST BUILT MODEL!!! YEEEEEEHHHH!
Last edited by Tegeus; Jan 22, 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Jan 22, 2010, 01:03 AM
Looking good. That's the first time I've seen in one of these build threads the vinyl firewall shipped with the kit used. You think there's a major strength advantage to it? and is it worth the extra weight?

Also what kinda motor/esc/receiver/servo combo are you planning on?
Jan 22, 2010, 04:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitillz
Looking good. That's the first time I've seen in one of these build threads the vinyl firewall shipped with the kit used. You think there's a major strength advantage to it? and is it worth the extra weight?

Also what kinda motor/esc/receiver/servo combo are you planning on?
The problem with this kind of model has always been the heavy tail, if you read all the threads about the Guillow's Stearman you'll find that basically everybody had to add nose weight, so I thought that a bit of extra strenght would have been welcome and shouldn't affect the balance. More than that I can use screws in every position I want to fix the motor mount, if, in the future, I will change the combo. The motor is a Turnigy c2826-1350 but I have a Skyartec also, I haven't decided yet which one to use, the ESC is a 18 Amp and the receiver... I will add the name later, I'm not at home now and I do not remember, as well as the servos. I have to say, being my first model, that I'm doing it a bit in economy, so I wasn't too fussy about the components.
Jan 22, 2010, 12:27 PM

Lessons Learned

My overweight GWS PT-17 flew very sluggishly on a 10x8 GWS DD prop with Scorpion 2215-22 and somewhat tired 2200 3S lipo packs getting hot. I finally changed to a GWS 10x6 DD prop and was surprised; everything improved, i.e, ROG's quicker, climbed faster , looped and rolled easier and motor and lipo pack are much cooler after a flight.

It flies even better on a new lighter Long Max 1300 ma 3S 20C lipo pack but with reduced duration, gotta land before LVC.

Lesson learned: For short-nosed models, keeping rear fuselage and tail weight as low as possible, moving RC gear way forward, and using as light a motor/battery/prop combo as possible, will pay off in better overall flight performance. Experimenting with prop types, diameters and pitches may help a lot. Lengthening the nose a little could also make using a lighter power system, without as much nose weight, easier to do.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply