Thread Tools
Apr 16, 2009, 10:41 PM
Retardedly intelligent
foam and tape's Avatar
Thread OP
Build Log

Radical RC wright stick conversion kit


While I was at Radical RC the other day ago. Dave asked If I wanted to try and Build a full sized WS version of the Slow stick Wright stick kit I said yes and I got a kit. currently this is all I have done for 3 days of work. The kit contains LOTS of plywood (which is very well cut). I'm still deciding If I should use the 24 gram hextronic motor or a park 480. It's ws is 60 inch (8 inches off of acutally being ''scale'') . construction is simple, its just time consuming. more to come soon, feel free to ask questions


the original slow stick mod thread is here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951354
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2009, 10:57 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Lookin' gooood!

I can't wait for my Wright Stick kit to get here.
Apr 16, 2009, 10:59 PM
Retardedly intelligent
foam and tape's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex
Lookin' gooood!

I can't wait for my Wright Stick kit to get here.

be sure to post pics (and video)
Apr 16, 2009, 11:09 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
be sure to post pics (and video)
OH Yeah! Count on it!
Apr 17, 2009, 10:31 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar
Did you cut new wings out of Depron or have you found some magical way to peal the coating off?

I like the sharpie lines on it- looks like wing ribs....
Apr 17, 2009, 09:40 PM
Retardedly intelligent
foam and tape's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn
Did you cut new wings out of Depron or have you found some magical way to peal the coating off?

I like the sharpie lines on it- looks like wing ribs....

theyre made from 6MM depron and the sharpie lines are for alignment (but they do add to looks)
Apr 18, 2009, 08:56 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Dave's got some pics up of the Wright Stick, man it looks good!
Apr 18, 2009, 10:57 PM
Registered User
radicalrc's Avatar
Looking good Foam and Tape. We've shipped all the ordered kits so they should be arriving soon.

I'm thinking about F&T's more scale wing span which means more wing area relative to canard area. For the canard shape, he's retained the "stick" look and I presume the stick horizontal area. What I'm trying to comprehend is how his mods will effect CG placement. With the GWS wings a very nice CG is 1/2" back from leading edge. As he adds wing area, I'm thinking the CG should move back??? I'm thinking as he's reducing the wing loading, he needs to reduce the canard loading. Maybe a canard expert can step in offer a little verification.

We attained our CG without any math or formulas, we just guessed, repaired and guessed again until we discovered where it should be. I know there are formulas to figure this but discounted their reliability because the airfoils from front too back are different and I'm guessing that the formulas do not take this disparity into account. Again a canard experts views here would be interesting.

Dave
Radical RC
Apr 19, 2009, 11:58 AM
Retardedly intelligent
foam and tape's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalrc
Looking good Foam and Tape. We've shipped all the ordered kits so they should be arriving soon.

I'm thinking about F&T's more scale wing span which means more wing area relative to canard area. For the canard shape, he's retained the "stick" look and I presume the stick horizontal area. What I'm trying to comprehend is how his mods will effect CG placement. With the GWS wings a very nice CG is 1/2" back from leading edge. As he adds wing area, I'm thinking the CG should move back??? I'm thinking as he's reducing the wing loading, he needs to reduce the canard loading. Maybe a canard expert can step in offer a little verification.

We attained our CG without any math or formulas, we just guessed, repaired and guessed again until we discovered where it should be. I know there are formulas to figure this but discounted their reliability because the airfoils from front too back are different and I'm guessing that the formulas do not take this disparity into account. Again a canard experts views here would be interesting.

Dave
Radical RC
thanks dave I think that finding the CG on mine will probibly be obtained the same way you guys have discovered where yours should be resulting in some (possibly broken) parts. I'll be sure to get some video.
Apr 19, 2009, 12:34 PM
Honorable native of Kekistan
SKYPILEIT's Avatar

Radicalrc wright stick


You flying it on the USAF Museum grounds..?How cool..
Apr 20, 2009, 09:13 AM
Registered User
radicalrc's Avatar
Are you sure it's me? I've heard rumors, perhaps it's a resotration of a full scale early aircraft?

Dave
Apr 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
mastrsn's Avatar

Blast from the past...


A LLLOOONNNGGG time ago, before the Dawn Patrol was as big as it is now here in Jacksonville, Florida, my partner Bill (wmcneal) shot some video of me flying my first Slow Stick and I edited to the movie below. Now, with Dave's creation, I'm gonna have to update the intro.....

Warning- very crude video, I've gotten better since then

From the Dawn Patrol Archives- "Slow Stick" (5 min 29 sec)
Apr 22, 2009, 07:48 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
WooHoo, my Wright Stick kit has arrived!

Along with 2 SS kits in yellow from RadicalRC.
All got here in good condition and the kit looks great.

Gave the instructions a quick once-over and am impressed.
Dave give lots of hints and suggestions, both for building/setup, and flying, throughout the manual, for success with this model.

I'm going to do as Dave suggests and take my time building this one.

Question for Dave...

What do you think of the TowerPro 2410-09 motors for this model?
(pic below)

I have 2 of these motors and mine weigh in a 2.2oz. each, so they are not much over your reccommended 2.0oz. for the motors.

Specs...

For 2-3 Li-Poly Cells (7.2-12.6V)
Recommended props: 9 x 4.7, 10 x 4.7, 11 x 4.7 Slow Flyer
Maximum current: 12A No Load Current: 0.5A
Kv: 840
12 Stator Poles, 14 Magnets

Think these would be overkill?

Only asking cuz I happen to have them on hand, if you don't think they would suit, I can get something else.

I need to do a HC order anyways...

Cheers!
Apr 22, 2009, 11:52 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Well I've started the build.

Lightly sanded the wood parts and applied stain.
Will let dry overnight and continue tomorrow.

Have to stop by the LHS tomorrow and get some 3mm carbon rod for the leading and trailing edges.
Apr 23, 2009, 02:50 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Color me subscribed!

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Radical RC Micro Stick Kit-------$20 Shipped termite Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Sep 16, 2008 11:57 PM
Sold NIP Radical RC MICRO STICK Kit punkindrublik Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jan 02, 2007 06:18 AM
Sold Radical RC Micro Stick kit.. NIP Tram Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 11, 2006 06:12 PM
NIB Radical RC Micro Stick kit with motor and props Bud Morrison Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 26, 2004 11:31 AM