Apr 15, 2009, 12:01 AM
It's all up from here..
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Simple Hack for Esky 4-in-1 for Brushless Motor

When I decided to do a Brushless Motor installation in my Esky HoneyBee Fixed Pitch heli, I read many articles dealing with the subject and, frankly, was pretty overwhelmed. They seemed to be overly complicated to my simple understanding, with many confusing words and few pictures that laid out the components and methods in a logical order. Some were based on older Esky components and other makes (like the Eflite Blade CP) and the pictures just didn't point out things that were being explained to my satisfaction.

I assume you know how to disassemble the 4-in-1, know the terminology, can use a soldering iron and have some basic modelling skills. The only parts required are a servo extension wire with male and female ends, some heat shrink and a zip tie wrap.

So, for the uninitiated, here is my pictorial essay on how I accomplished this feat of magical transformation. I would appreciate comments and critiques as, I want to make this simple to follow for those neophyte heli pilots and tinkerers who wish to move up to a more powerful heli with a simple modification. But, I don't want this to expand into an enormous thread on modding....just want it to be a short, concise treatise on a simple mod. If you see a way to clarify something, please let me know. Thanks for your attention and, enjoy!

NOTE: It is not necessary to solder in the Negative wire.....just soldering in the pin for the signal wire is all that is required for this to work.

Cuzn
Last edited by CuznWeakEyes; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2009, 07:11 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Great job!

I am surprised that all Esky had to do was to extend the pins out on both sides of the board and no one who have to do this EVER!!

It is nice we can but it would be better if they would spend an extra nickel or dime. I would be willing to pay a few dollars more to make it done from the factory instead of having to do it on my own.

Thanks for this easy update and pictorial. Now I am sure that when the motor dies, I can change it over.

To do the tail rotor to brushless or external ESC, all one would have to do is repeat the process on channel 4. Is that correct?

thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Much appreciated
Frank
Apr 15, 2009, 09:45 AM
Buffalos have wings
Nice job Cuzn, if we can't come up with an alternative to the slo-max I may be doing this soon.
Apr 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
It's all up from here..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
Great job!

[snip] motor dies, I can change it over.

To do the tail rotor to brushless or external ESC, all one would have to do is repeat the process on channel 4. Is that correct?

thanks again for taking the time to do this.

Much appreciated
Frank
Frank..

If you did that connection to a Bl ESC for the tail, you would be bypassing the gyro. I think you could do it if you put an external gyro in also. Then, the connection would be coming directly from the Rx rudder channel just as it would be if going with a separate Rx. I think I saw where someone desoldered the crossover pins in the Rx board and pushed them back through the receiver side. Then, you have a rudder output that you could connect the gyro to. There would be no mixing but, I didn't have that in my full separates FP and it worked O.K.

Thanks.

Cuzn
Apr 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the nice job on the pictorial. I've been looking and looking for information but like you said it's very vague. I now have what I need to do the BL mod that's been bothering me for some time now. The hang up was the 4 in 1 hack. Nice!
Apr 18, 2009, 09:13 AM
Addicted
How should one proceed with the pwr supply for the esc? my guess its just to solder the (+)and(-) wires from the BL esc to the corresponding points on the 4-in-1 right?
Apr 18, 2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for showing how to make that mod !

It is clear, short and says everything we have to know to make that mod.

I wish you will do the same for the 2.4G receiver
Apr 18, 2009, 01:39 PM
hmmm...
lol you can do it with the 2.4ghz reciever, I just did mine and it works great
Apr 18, 2009, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle
lol you can do it with the 2.4ghz reciever, I just did mine and it works great
Can I follow the same step as describe here (do they look the same, FM and 2,4G)
Apr 18, 2009, 03:03 PM
It's all up from here..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by calleman
How should one proceed with the pwr supply for the esc? my guess its just to solder the (+)and(-) wires from the BL esc to the corresponding points on the 4-in-1 right?
Calleman..

Just splice the ESC power wires into the same wires that power the 4-in-1. I use a Deans Ultra connector on all my batteries; so, I spliced a Female JST plug onto the Deans along with the power to the ESC. Picture attached.

Cuzn
Apr 18, 2009, 05:22 PM
Question guys,

Will this work the same way on the 2.4 GHz 4-in-1 or is it different?
May 01, 2009, 12:12 AM
Lipo a day, keeps boredom away
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuznWeakEyes
When I decided to do a Brushless Motor installation in my Esky HoneyBee Fixed Pitch heli, I read many articles dealing with the subject and, frankly, was pretty overwhelmed. They seemed to be overly complicated to my simple understanding, with many confusing words and few pictures that laid out the components and methods in a logical order. Some were based on older Esky components and other makes (like the Eflite Blade CP) and the pictures just didn't point out things that were being explained to my satisfaction.

I assume you know how to disassemble the 4-in-1, know the terminology, can use a soldering iron and have some basic modelling skills. The only parts required are a servo extension wire with male and female ends, some heat shrink and a zip tie wrap.

So, for the uninitiated, here is my pictorial essay on how I accomplished this feat of magical transformation. I would appreciate comments and critiques as, I want to make this simple to follow for those neophyte heli pilots and tinkerers who wish to move up to a more powerful heli with a simple modification. But, I don't want this to expand into an enormous thread on modding....just want it to be a short, concise treatise on a simple mod. If you see a way to clarify something, please let me know. Thanks for your attention and, enjoy!

Cuzn

Looks easy enough, the first diagram though, with the JR servo extension-female end and how he removes each little tiny locking tabs, is that the connection that is already currently plugged in? Because that spot in my 4 in 1 is currently being used.

I want to use the 4200 KV brushless motor from xmseller, recommended from eflitewiki.

I'm new to this amazing hobby, still simply hovering around the living room, but i was expecting maybe after i will eventually have to switch to brushless.
May 01, 2009, 02:45 AM
Cuzn, that's a great pictorial.

Can you take a better closeup of where you soldered those two connections?
Also, could one not use a standard JST connector/wire instead of the servo extension?
May 01, 2009, 09:44 PM
It's all up from here..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModeTwo
Cuzn, that's a great pictorial.

Can you take a better closeup of where you soldered those two connections?
Also, could one not use a standard JST connector/wire instead of the servo extension?
ModeTwo..

Thanks....glad you are getting some use of the tutorial. I can't really get a closer picture of the connections...did you click on image 6 for a larger view? In the channel 3 and Channel 4 Rx positions, there are 3 short stubs of pins that go through the middle case into the 3-in-1 portion of the unit. Use the Channel 3 pins.

After extracting the connectors from the servo extension, I filled the 2 connector ends with melted solder, let it cool then held each one on the Channel 3 pin stubs and applied heat from the iron to melt the solder and make the connection and let it cool. Do the inside one first!!! It's fairly easy....I did it and I shake a lot!! Just make sure that you make some kind of strain relief for the wires as, there is not much holding them except for a bit of solder.

Cuzn
May 01, 2009, 09:55 PM
Jesus Freak
i just bought a hbfp from a member here, the 4n1 was modded to accept a separate gyro, will this bl mod work in conjunction with that mod?

Quick Reply