Apr 13, 2009, 05:50 AM
Winging it >
Idea

EPP P51 D indoor outdoor flyer, **plans** :)

Here is my latest plane a P51 D. This plane is spin off from the EPPYak55 but with some differences.

I wanted to build a light weight park flier that was also indoor capable and also capable of some 3D flying, and durable, and that looked pretty good.

I've always liked the looks of the P51 so that was the design I chose to go with. Others have done similar size P51's before; this is just my personal design of a classic warbird.

I made a few minor revisions to the 3 view drawing/design to enhance the slow speed handling...mostly larger control surfaces and some tweaking to the fuselage...not so much though that it doesn't look like a P51.

I've spent some time tweaking and tuning the plane to make it multi role. Here is what it does:

Basic park flying. Although it can do 3D stuff, it does not need to be flown with rudder input. It will easily do loops (inside and outside) rolls and nice smooth high speed runs (not a real sped machine though) and will handle some wind no problem.

3D: If you enjoy 3D flying or want to start to learn 3D this plane has some capability...not the best at 3D but here is what it can do: knife edge flying including knife edge loops, spins (easy in and out of these), hovers, torque rolls, rolling circles, stable inverted flying and probably a lot more that a more capable pilot could do. Again it is not the best at these maneuvers but it is still fun "bonus flying" at the park. Being made of epp also means you can experiment with some of this stuff and if you make mistakes and you can get away with it.

Indoor: I kept it light so it will fly quite slowly, plenty slow for indoor flying fun. Haven;t had a chance to fly this one indoors yet. With the big control surfaces it still has great control authority at very slow speeds.

I hope you guys like this one.

Dan
Last edited by leadfeather; Dec 02, 2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: changed title
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2009, 05:51 AM
Winging it >

plans and specs

Wingspan 33 1/2".

AUW with 2s 360 battery = 158 grams
Last edited by leadfeather; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
Apr 13, 2009, 05:52 AM
Winging it >

parts list - under construction

Parts list
1.3# 9mm epp foam.
1/16" carbon rod for control rods.
1/32 music wire for control rod ends.
Sumo or equivalent glue
Welders glue
Paint

Here a list of hardware that can be used and the respective costs. make sure the components you chose are compatible with each other; especially motor and esc. For instance the Mag8 esc listed here will not work with the Hacker motor.

1) Cheapest, 24 gram motor, $8.95 , 1500kV Blue Wonder

2) Mid $, 2204-14, http://www.justgofly.com/Order%20Form.htm Scroll down the page until you get to the motor and esc.

3) More $, Hacker A10 9L

Motor mount for 24 gram motor, $1.20, motor mount
Prop, $1.20, GWS 8x4 available widely

Prop adapter if required, $1.99, prop adapter

1) ESC for 24 gram motor, $11.95, ESC for Blue Wonder

2) ESC for 2204-14, http://www.justgofly.com/Order%20Form.htm Scroll down the pageuntil you get to the motor and esc.

3) ESC for hacker, ESC for Hacker

1) cheapest Rudder and elevator Servos, $3.49 ea , Hxt500

2) mid $ servos, Eflight S60's, S60's

Aileron servo Hxt900

Reciever, $19.95, Corona Rx

Control horns 2ea, $.19, tail horns
Last edited by leadfeather; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Apr 13, 2009, 10:47 AM
Foam Is Where The Heart Is.

Wow !!!

You never cease to amaze me with your planes Dan. Yet another quality bird from Leadfeather. I am anxiously awaiting maiden vids. Keep up the good work, Dustin
Apr 13, 2009, 12:42 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
When your'e on a roll. ...

The A10 Hacker is my favourite small motor
Apr 13, 2009, 03:36 PM
My plans are in my blog
Excellent looking plane. i love the P-51, and never got tired of looking at one.
Apr 14, 2009, 09:49 AM
Winging it >
Thanks guys! I hope to have the first video within the next few days.
Apr 14, 2009, 10:46 AM
Dan,

Why don't you start making some cool planes? It would be good for me to have one of these. When flying indoors I like to chase other planes and my machine gun sounds, but it just doesn't fit when flying a yak. But if I had a mustang, my deadly attacks might be more fitting
Apr 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
Winging it >

first video

Seems like it is hard to get a video to do a plane justice. Here is the Mustang flying outdoors.

epp P 51 (2 min 48 sec)
Apr 18, 2009, 09:44 PM
Zippy, Strong Like Bull!
Nice Dan. That thing has an insane roll rate!

Mark
Nov 15, 2009, 12:39 AM
3Disaster
when are u gonna post the plan? i would love to build one.
Nov 15, 2009, 05:17 PM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdc0re79
when are u gonna post the plan? i would love to build one.
nerdc0re79,

You are the first to ask for plans. There aren't any drawn yet, but I think I did keep my templates.
Nov 16, 2009, 01:00 AM
3Disaster
leadfeather. i just got done finishing my permanent template for ur eppyak 55. i work for autozone and those plastic banner u see in front of aisles i kept em after we were done with the circular. i thought it would be a nice template nice thin plastic. so i would just lay over epp and cut em. so far in an hour time spent cutting. i have 4 sets of eppyaks. just got ur plans for edge. so tomorrow i will go to kinkos and have em print me out a copy of that and print the dimension for the gokart. i would LOVE to get a copy of your p51 . its bad ass and i want to adopt that plane and add it to my foamie family. i hope u kept ur templates and put it other for us foamy fanatics to build and fly
Nov 16, 2009, 01:13 AM
3Disaster
ur ideas for epp are great. since u have opened up a new can of epp planes. epp trojanT28? p47 epp? mentor?texan?a very difficult gull wing design corsair? spitfire? endless my friend. use the Yak template for a funtana or matt chapman's cap. seriously. thanx for introducing me to a great plan and possible ideas.

i could spend 200 -400bucks on ONE rtf plane. ranging from parkzone planes to electrifly to great planes. but now i'd rather use that 300 dollars on motors,esc's,servos,about 20 packs of 850mah 2s1p batteries. cuz thats what it will take to feed the hunger...and about 10 sheets of 9mm epp , and thats atleast 5 yaks and 5 experimental war birds taken from ur p51 epp idea since thats a low wing design. most warbirds are low wing design so the transistion from p51 to t28 or any warbirds are possible
Last edited by nerdc0re79; Nov 16, 2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: forgot the batteries