Viking Mark I - Kit from SkyBench - RC Groups
Apr 11, 2009, 05:13 PM
Build Log

Viking Mark I - Kit from SkyBench

I've been putting it off for way too long... It's time I start posting pic's on the Viking Mark I kit... The final wing panel is now off the bench and it is just a matter of time to finish up the odds & ends that are left to do... I have done allot of internet searching and have not come across a build thread for this bird so I took numerous photos of the whole process and hope that this will help others who would like to build this ship...

The kit was originally kitted by the people at Craft-Air Inc. and has been re-kitted by Ray Hayes over at www.skybench.com... I have really enjoyed the build, very nice laser-cut kit (formers, fuse sides and wing ribs)... The complete kit comes with all the hardware, all you need is time and glue...

Wing Span: 118"
Wing Area: 1200 sq. in.
Flying Weight: 52 oz.
Wing Loading: 6-1/4 oz.
Airfoil: 11-1/2% Flat Bottom

Enjoy the picutres...!
Last edited by KickAce; Jun 25, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
Started by joining the front and back halves for the two sides of the fuselage...
Apr 11, 2009, 05:41 PM
Added some carbon strip reinforcement on the tail area of the fuse as suggested by Ray Hayes...
Last edited by KickAce; Apr 12, 2009 at 09:27 AM.
Apr 11, 2009, 06:39 PM
Add the longerons...

The plans call for cutting slots in the longerons to make the bends that run along the fuselage shape... I try as much as possible not to do so and spend the little bit of extra time it takes to wet the longerons in hot water, lay down some wax paper, bend/pin down the longerons and allow to dry before glueing them down... In doing so, relieves the stress in the wood so that the longerons fit naturally... I figure that the less stress the wood has before glueing, the farther away from faillure I am as the plane takes on those bumps and bruses from the added stresses that we (me) put them through...
Apr 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Added the reinforcing hardwood rail as suggested by Ray Hayes to reduce the flexing in the nose area that the wings can exert on landings and I also added a bit more carbon fiber just behind the end former to add just a bit more strength in that area... Did I mention, I can be hard on my planes at times...?
Last edited by KickAce; Apr 12, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Apr 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
I had done the same to the front longerons as I had for the back ones, soaked them in hot water, laid plastic down and pinned them into place to dry completely, even though doing so, the front longerons need to take quite a bend in the nose area and still needed to cut slots in them to help bend them into shape but at least most of the stress was already removed by this process of wetting/drying them first...
Apr 11, 2009, 07:46 PM
For the formers, you'll need to make some modifications to them so that the pushrod tubes will clear the fuselage side braces and for the reinforcement rail in the nose area for the front two formers and add a hole to feed the battery wires through in former #2... Also, drill the holes larger in the back two formers to fit the pushrod tubes...

Epoxy only the middle formers at this time as shown...
Last edited by KickAce; Apr 12, 2009 at 09:29 AM.
Apr 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
Time to join the fuselage sides together now...

For a comparison, there is a House of Balsa 2x6 fuselage that a friend that I am teaching to build next to the Viking fuselage...
Apr 11, 2009, 08:50 PM
Glue on the skid plate
Apr 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the build thread!
Apr 11, 2009, 09:27 PM
Fuselage wing rod tubes...

My kit didn't have these tubes, the kit had the front and back tubes for the wings and the tubes for the stabilizer, they were just missing the tubes for the fuselage and had to cut my own which was no big deal...

The tubes need to come all the way out the fuselage sides including the root rib that gets glued on the outside of the fuselage, sand flush with the root rib...
Apr 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
Batteries...

My thoughts have always put in as much battery power as possible... In thinking about it and knowing that I'll need lots of weight in the nose as possible, I took a 2700mh part and did some test fitting, very tight fit... I'll be adding 1/8" hardwood ontop of the cannopy rails on the fuselage to give me just a tad more room... Looks like a plan to me... I'll likely change these out for 4000mh pack by the time that I am finished building the plane... We'll come back later and revisit this when it's time...
Last edited by KickAce; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Apr 11, 2009, 10:52 PM
Servos and Electronics...

Cut a new servo tray using a bit thicker light plywood and moved the tray all the way next to former #2 in order to make room for the other electronics (SkyTraceGPS, SkyAssistant Vario and Receiver)... Velcro to hold them and will fill the rest of the space with sponge to keep things in place... If you’re interested in the SkyTraceGPS or the SkyAssistant Vario, take a look at the people at Magellan Technologies http://www.magtechinc.net/products.htm