Sep 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
Climb you idiot
Well, well, well,

Got the Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom and I'm ready to crash my third model..

I was planning on going Saturday morning (this morning), however the wind is looking pretty strong, moving my plans to Sunday morning probably about an 8:30 start.

However may see what it's like later today - winds are supposed to die off about 2:00 PM.

Dave - let me know if your planning on Sunday morning as well, I'll have your battery with me regardless.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2009, 11:26 PM
How close are those trees?
Thread OP

Flying this weekend

Its looking real good for this afternoon but I won't be going due to sporting commitments (i.e. watching the AFL GF ).

However I'll be definetly going Sunday morning around 8:30 - 9:00 (unless I get called into work ).

Might be a bit windy for the Addiction maiden tomorrow but should still be ok for the P-40 and SP Glider. Its only a little bit of wind

Good luck Matt with the new plane if you go today. Remember; 'Altitude is your friend'.
Sep 26, 2009, 12:16 AM
Inverted tail dragger
I'm in for Sunday..Maybe maiden my Cap I dont know at this stage.Only just finished fitting the electric's ,now for a little footy an beer or two then fit the wings an stuff
Go Saint's
Sep 26, 2009, 03:22 AM
hey guys just letting you know that there is a RC jet day on Sunday at KAMS. just off Mundijong Rd. (take mundijong rd exit off the freeway turn east then south down king rd then left just after the train tracks and head down there.)
These are the Jet turbine models with 2m+ wingspan and an average set up cost of about 10 - 15 grand.
Sep 27, 2009, 12:57 AM
Hi guys Ive met a few of you down at Murdoch before (Dave when I had my Electrafun and Bill? when I was down there with my P51 and TB20)

Hopefully no one else went down yesterday and had a day like ours. First my old man lost a glider due to a failed servo. Next my TB20 lost a wing while I was mid way through my first successfull try at flying inverted and I was left with a pile of foam. Then to top it all off old man seems to have had a radio failure which sent his Multiplex Twister into a nose dive from about 80m which ended in a nice little Lipo fire in the middle of the oval.

Its all a bit weird as we usually have our best days flying down at Murdoch.

Now I have to decide which plane to get next
Sep 27, 2009, 04:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerac
Hopefully no one else went down yesterday and had a day like ours. First my old man lost a glider due to a failed servo. Next my TB20 lost a wing while I was mid way through my first successfull try at flying inverted and I was left with a pile of foam. Then to top it all off old man seems to have had a radio failure which sent his Multiplex Twister into a nose dive from about 80m which ended in a nice little Lipo fire in the middle of the oval.
Jeez, you guys really did have a bad one. I've always liked those TB20s (almost bought one once) and the Twister. Real shame.

We had a few down this morning in relatively breezy conditions but everyone escaped reasonably un scathed. The main reason was because alot of the planes just wern't flown!!

I took my Addiction but decided to leave it in the back of the car. Bill left his profile in the car. And Jeff and Allan also didn't fly their whole fleet.

My P-40 and SP Glider handled the breeze well but I did end up slamming the glider into the deck on its second flight (stalled at the bottom of a high speed dive). Only about 10 minutes work to fix though.

Whisky Oscar (Spag) also had an 'incident' with his Gemini but only minimal damage.

Anyway Bergerac, I hope you and your dad get too replace those lost birds soon (at least that's the fun part).

By the way; speaking of buying new planes, if anyone's interested, I'm thinking about selling my Red Eagle EPP Extra.

All HC gear (with a few spare gws props) and still flies real well.

$90 and just add rxer and lipo.

$110 with 2 x (lightly used) 1000MAh 20C Flight Max lipos.

Its a great (and very durable) 3D trainer.

Not desparate to sell but PM if your interested.
Sep 27, 2009, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Jeez, you guys really did have a bad one. I've always liked those TB20s (almost bought one once) and the Twister. Real shame.
Well if you ever do the wings need reinforcement, I'd only repaired one wing the day before, the second one went 2 batteries later.
Oct 01, 2009, 11:38 PM
Climb you idiot
Yo guys,

Saturday morning may not be suitable (although it is supposed to clear by dawn), but I'll give it a try if the weather is right, otherwise I'll be there Sunday morning ~0830. Either way the plan is to maiden the Firebird Phantom and see if this "Anti-crash technology" can hold up to the claim...
Oct 01, 2009, 11:48 PM
Molded Hotliner Destroyer
The ACT only makes slight corrections if you are flying very sedately. If you get too far out of shape it will still crash.
Oct 02, 2009, 06:25 AM
Thread OP

Thursday Flight Report

Well it was a busy flying day yesterday for a few of us.

Firstly Wayne, Bill (and his daughter Sophie), Piers and I met at Forrestfield at lunch time to take advantage of the (initially) good weather.

It was an afternoon of maidens (amongst a few of the old fleet getting flown) with Piers debuting his Gaui Tiger Shark edf (well i.e. Wayne did) and his Sky Hawk glider. Both went real well.

I also 'maidened' (well if a first flight of a used plane can stiil be called a maiden) my recently aquired Addiction. It flew nice (in the now becoming gusty conditions). It even survived a nasty dog fight with a maternal magpie. Its aerobatic performance was too much for the maggie

Anyway not content with the afternoon session, a few of us turned out again later that night for the F3P indoor aerobatics at Lumen Christi College.

What could only be described as an 'interesting' night Bill and I got to find out all the cog issues with our indoor planes and how much we've got to learn about flying precision aerobatics in a tight place.

Jeff also came along and appeared interested in giving F3P a go (even after Bill and my attempts).

Watch this space

Lastly Wayne was able to maiden his Electrifly Sopwith Pup at the end of the night. After a few initial prop issues; it flew fantastically. A real cool 'slow flyer'. We're all looking forward to the dogfight between the Pup and Rod's Tiger Moth at next indoor!!
Oct 02, 2009, 06:49 AM
Fly . . . be free
Goody,

Check out the OZ RC For Sale blog, especially #351. Look familiar
Oct 02, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungraman
Goody,

Check out the OZ RC For Sale blog, especially #351. Look familiar
Man, makes it look like I gave my ES away

Got some bad news for you though.

I was so inspired by your new glider yesterday that I started building my Blizzard tonight. Might even have it finished by next weekend.

Now about that 10x6 folding prop that I was going to 'lend' you
Oct 02, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63
Now about that 10x6 folding prop that I was going to 'lend' you
Now just to show I'm not an 'indian giver'; located another 10 x 6 folder for you to try out on your Sky Hawk Piers.
Oct 03, 2009, 06:12 PM
This spot that you fly at, is it the sports ground next to windelya rd? Where you come in on a bit of a broken up driveway and there is a no RC planes sign?
Oct 03, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
We generally fly at the south, south eastern corner of the reserve. Never noticed a 'No RC' sign where we go.

May have to check it out this morning!

Quick Reply