Homemade Windsock - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by budkeywest, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 08, 2009, 09:42 PM
budkeywest's Avatar

Homemade Windsock

I got this idea from the July 2008 issue of Fly RC Magazine. I tried to email them this story with photos, but every e-mail address I tryed kept getting returned...

So....After months of thinking and planning this project, I asked Owen, a flying buddy at our field, if he could find an old front bicycle tire with a rim and axle. I explained to him my idea and not only did he procure a rim and axle, but he gave me a telescoping pole he no longer had any use for. I had some ripstop cloth material leftover from my homemade parachute (perhaps a story for my next e-mail). My internet research for a windsock pattern left me high and dry, so I took the Sunday paper, fashioned a cone, taped it together, cut the ends to form my windsock and cut it down the middle to form a pattern to cut the material. Funny enough, I had purchased a sewing machine for my wife about 15 years ago...and I have used it more than she has. I sewed together my windsock and made a tunnel on the big end to place a circular wire. I found an old clothes hanger and slid the material through the "tunnel" and attached the ends of the wire with 4 zip ties. I then carefully shaped the wire to form a circle, not a perfect circle, but a circle none the less. I then took the tire and removed the tire and the innertube. I them used my dremel and cut the spokes as close to the rim as possible. I remove all the spokes and chose 4 that were the same length. Accorrding to the instructions from the original article, I placed the spokes 4 hole apart on top and bottom and made a loop in the ends with my vise and hammer. I then ziptied the four spokes to the windsock making sure they were somewhat proportional. I had to use my utility knife to make a slit in the material in order to pass the ziptie through. I found a pvc coupling roughly the same diameter of my newly aquired pole and a pvc cap to fit on the top coupling. I drilled a hole in the cap for the axle to slide into... next time I will get it centered. I place a lockwasher over the bolt and then use the axle nut to tighten the axle to the cap. I used pvc glue to attach the coupling to the cap. I then placed the coupling on the pole and drilled a hole through both the coupler and the pole and placed a screw with a wingnut though both. This last action will make the windsock removable for transport and storage. Today was a windy day so I decided to test my new windsock out with the help of my sons A.J. and Conor. It worked better than I had thought! I finally put it to use...it worked like a charm!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2009, 07:57 AM
mcsarge's Avatar
Hey! That is a great wind sock. I think I will make one too. I have a couple of tell-tales that are attached to sailboats that I have attached to long poles, but they only tell direction, not velocity. Very Cool!
Apr 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
budkeywest's Avatar

It was alot of fun making it and it really is useful at our field!


Thread Tools