Apr 08, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Help Needed My attempt at building a Quad

Well I am tring to build my Quad.
I have it assembled but I am having issues getting it stable enough to get it off the ground. I am using a Airtronics RD8000 for now. If any one has any ideas on how to make this thing more stable please let me know.
Here are the parts I used:
1- mini-mix
4- 750kv motors
4- Super simple 50A ESC's
2-10X6 triple props cw
2-10X6 triple props ccw
4-PG-03 gyros
8" of sch 40 1/2" pvc pipe
4-1 1/2" pvc couplings
3-6" servo extersions
thin plexi to mount the equipment on.
For batteries I am tring different sizes from 2-2200ma in parallel to 2-4200 in parallel.
Here are som pics

Thanks
Mark
Last edited by markeydoo; Apr 08, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
OK
I think I found part of my issue. I noticed that the motors kept changing rpm. I disconnected my gyros and found that now the motor speed is constant. So it think my gyros are to sensitive. I have attached a picture of the gyro mounted to to a piece of neoprean rubber and still get the vibration.
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Mark
Apr 09, 2009, 01:42 AM
Read on the tri-copter thread that those cyclones do not work well if at all. I have a tri with the same problem. The gyro's worked when I had them on a conventional airplane installation, so not sure if that is your problem but thats where i figure my problem is. The real GWS PG-03 is supposed to work great so they are not the same gyro.
Let us now if you figure it out!
Apr 09, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks
Yes I guess cheap is not always the best way to go.
I am going to try a G-190. I will let you know how that works
Mark
Apr 09, 2009, 03:44 PM
I think 2S lipo's are not sufficient if your using 750kV motors. I-d suggest 3S or even 4S lipos. You need about 2x thrust to weight ratio and I don't think you'll be getting that on 2S with these motors and props.

Don't know what the maximum update frequency of these ESCs is. For a stable quadro you need ESCs which can be updated at least 150/s.

Also why spend significant amounts on separate gyros without any integration? You can probably get better results quicker by ordering one of the multicopter flight controlers such as the QuadroControl 2XS (only a microcontroler and 3 gyros, will allow using some normal ESC over PWM, but only if the ESC allows a PWM update frequence of 150/s or more but will also accept ESCs which are controled using TWI/I2C interface), the UAVP (separate thread in this forum), the mikrokopter (see the thread in the aerial photography forum), arm-o-kopter, X3D, draganflyer's controler as used in the 1000mm quadrocontroler in this thread, etc. Or participate in the Quaduino project in this forum.
Apr 09, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info Arthur.
On the batteries, I am using 2-3s-2200 or 2-3s4200
I will check out the QuadroControl 2XS

Thanks
Mark

Quick Reply