Turnigy-5011 battery charger review - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by SteveM732, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 07, 2009, 08:39 PM
Mini-Review

Turnigy-5011 battery charger review

I have written a review of the Turnigy 5011 charger, it is posted here.

If after reading it you would like to post a comment either reply to this blog entry or the existing thread. I am interested to hear about what you did or did not like and what could have been explained more clearly.
Last edited by SteveM732; Apr 07, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
ski bum
I appreciated your review of the Turnigy-5011 in one respect...The picture you had of its interior confirms my suspicion that the unit has been redesigned. I just popped the top off a unit I bought a few weeks ago and found an extremely neat layout with a few large thru-hole components on the topside and a significant number of surface-mount components on the bottom side, including ICs, transistors, capacitors, resistors, inductors, and diodes.

With this change, the functions of the three LEDs seem to have changed completely.

Finally, the instruction sheet is a complete re-write.

FWIW, I'm completely delighted with my charger/balancer! I can't believe it cost so little and works so well. Turns out my daughter's Ray-O-Vac 15-minute charger came with a wall wart that is perfect for this unit. It plugs directly into the 5011, providing proper voltage, proper polarity, a mating connector, and ample current.

I simply would not have gone into R/C if every motor was $60, every charger was $60, every ESC was $60, and every LiPo battery was $60. I'm happy there are those who prefer to go that route. But it's not for me. I have too many other expensive hobbies and only so much discretionary income.
Jun 03, 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the review. I really want to get this charger. It seems perfect for me, since I am looking for my rc18b's future battery, it should be between 1600-2200, that should be good right?
I am coming from a 10 hour nimh charger, so 1 or 2 hours is good enough for me!
What is the difference from that one and this one?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=7637#
Jun 03, 2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parth95
Thanks for the review. I really want to get this charger. It seems perfect for me, since I am looking for my rc18b's future battery, it should be between 1600-2200, that should be good right?
I am coming from a 10 hour nimh charger, so 1 or 2 hours is good enough for me!
What is the difference from that one and this one?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=7637#
You're looking at 4-5 hours with the 5011 and probably more like 5-7 hours with the one you linked to.
Jun 06, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hi guys this seems like a great battery charger. However i am having an issue with mine, when i plug my 3cell 1000mah lipo to the charger - the only lights on is A. No other lights go on. My first time charging the lights B went on, but ... thats it. ANy help with what the lights mean would be vastly appreciated.
Jun 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
The light indicates that the cell is charging. On a 3S pack I would expect to see all three LEDs on when charging. You could have faulty battery connections or a bad charger.
May 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732
The light indicates that the cell is charging. On a 3S pack I would expect to see all three LEDs on when charging. You could have faulty battery connections or a bad charger.
Something strange happens when charging a 11.1V 2800mAh li-po pack: after a few hours, the "C" led blinks, instead of brighting steadily. But the battery pack seems to end well charged, as I can sail my motoryacht for almost two hours (it has two motors in direct drive).

When charging a 7.4V pack, the led turns on indicating full charge.

Robert