Links To E-Starter Builds, Tips, & Tricks - RC Groups
Apr 06, 2009, 05:22 PM
Discussion

Links To E-Starter Builds, Tips, & Tricks

IMPORTANT: This is not a thread to compare the E-Starter with any other plane.

This is a thread to try to bring together links to builds and other items that are related to the E-Starter that I collected by doing a search on the various sites. I'm sure I probably missed some, so if anyone wishes to add more just let me know.

I'm not attempting to supply links that will answer specific questions since there's a search engine on the different sites that will do a much better job than I can. However, if anyone finds anything they feel will be of benefit to the majority of E-Starter owners please let me know and I'll gladly add it to this post.

This is an open thread and anyone may post anything to it, but please try to keep it related specifically to the E-Starter.

The links below are in no particular order.

Credit is given to the original poster and to the site where the thread is located.

The descriptions (gleaned by reading only the first few posts in each thread) should give you some idea as to what the thread is about, but the thread itself could include much more information that I missed or was added since the link was originally posted.

GWS E-Starter Online Manual by GWS located on the GWS website
This is the complete manual for the GWS E-Starter

GWS Tips and Tricks! by tallflyer on RCGroups.com
Although not specific to the E-Starter, this link includes a lot of tips & tricks on building GWS planes.

Ultimate E-Starter thread? by azjerry on RCGroups.com
As with most popular RC planes, there is usually an ongoing "Ultimate" thread of some kind.
This is the "Ultimate" thread Part 1. This thread is "Closed".

Ultimate E-Starter Thread? Part 2 by Michael Heer on RCGroups.com
This is the "Ultimate" thread Part 2. At the time of this posting this thread was "Open".

My E-Starter Build by Iron City on WattFlyer.com
This is Iron City's build with descriptions and a lot of photos.

GWS E-Starter ailerons made simple by NoFlyZone on RCGroups.com
This build by NoFlyZone (Chuck) has information on how to cut out and attach the ailerons so there is very little gap between the aileron and wing, and how to install dual servos for aileron control.

E-Starter with flaps? by dotyj on WattFlyer.com
This is a discussion relating to the effectiveness of using flaps started by dotyj. You'll probably need to read the whole thread to find out if they are successful or not since at the time of this posting this is thread is still active.

GWS E-Starter Tricycle Build Log by Fredriksson on RCGroups.com
This build by Fredriksson (Freddy) is a complete build of the plane and is an example of how to modify it for a tricycle landing gear. Includes write-ups and many photos of the build.

GWS E-Starter and the correct Center of Gravity by NoFlyZone on RCGroups.com
This is a reply from NoFlyZone (Chuck) to Mr. Richard Feder in reference to the CG on the E-Starter. The link starts out with post #2, but the entire thread is available for review.

My e-Starter build, Obsessive-compulsive?? by ChromeDome on RCGroups.com
This is a build by ChromeDome and includes write-ups and photos.

E-Starter Build Party... Family Style!!! by ghee-grose on RCGroups.com
This is a build by ghee-grose and includes write-ups and photos.

E-Starter Mods by boomerace on RCGroups.com
This link covers many mods by a number of E-Starter owners.

Brushless E-Starter Aerobatic Build Project by Reformed Nitroaddict on WattFlyer.com
This is Reformed Nitroaddict's build which includes written descriptions of the build and some photos taken during the build-in-progress. There are also some photos of the finished plane.

E-Starter build questions by Adagio on WattFlyer.com
Here are some answers to questions Adagio asked and some photos although not all of them are related to the E-Starter.
There are other links where folks are asking general questions but there are too many to post each one. If you have a specific question I suggest using the search feature found on all the sites.

More will be added as they are found or brought to my attention.

Bill
Last edited by Sir Raleigh; Apr 06, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2009, 06:51 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
AWESOME! I'm just starting to research my E-starter build. Your post should be invaluable! Thank you, so much!
Apr 07, 2009, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Hi Bill,

Great idea!

One of the weakest areas on most all GWS planes is the front landing gear. One less than stellar landing, and most GWS planes shed their front gear, along with a good chunk of foam. It's the only bad trait in these otherwise beautiful flying planes. Since you'll soon be putting one together, I'll suggest doing some specific research into how people have overcome this problem.

Maybe you can gather up the various fixes and even post them here, or other people can chime in with their own methods!

Chuck
Apr 07, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hi Chuck.

Thanks for the tip.

I built 2 Blu Babys and I think the way I installed the LG is going to be the method I use with the ES.

Just as a hint; it involves cutting the slot in the foam a little deeper, building a new LG, and installing it similar to the photos below (the photos are not mine, but the concept is the same). I'll grab my camera and post a few pictures when I get to that point in the construction.

Bill
Apr 07, 2009, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh
Hi Chuck.

Thanks for the tip.

I built 2 Blu Babys and I think the way I installed the LG is going to be the method I use with the ES.

Just as a hint; it involves cutting the slot in the foam a little deeper, building a new LG, and installing it similar to the photos below (the photos are not mine, but the concept is the same). I'll grab my camera and post a few pictures when I get to that point in the construction.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Excellent idea! Vaguely similar to mine, but yours is lighter! I'll see if I can post some pics of how I set mine up.

Now that you've got a method for the gear, I'll recommend anyone building the E-Starter do some research into the various methods of mounting the battery.

When moving to a brushless motor, the battery must be brought forward of it's original location in order to offset the reduced weight of the motor. This usually means relocating the battery a little more forward, and/or shifting the electronics forward to help out.

Here's another tip. MAKE SURE you understand how the wing attaches. Many, many people misread the instructions and goof this step up!!!

On my very first E-Starter, I was one of the ones who goofed it up... Then again, in retrospect, I think I've managed to screw up just about every step in the instructions at one time or another in building my E-Starters... LOL.

And they STILL managed to fly like homesick doves!

Chuck
Apr 07, 2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Bill,

Excellent idea! Vaguely similar to mine, but yours is lighter! I'll see if I can post some pics of how I set mine up.
Looking forward to seeing them.

Quote:
Now that you've got a method for the gear, I'll recommend anyone building the E-Starter do some research into the various methods of mounting the battery.

When moving to a brushless motor, the battery must be brought forward of it's original location in order to offset the reduced weight of the motor. This usually means relocating the battery a little more forward, and/or shifting the electronics forward to help out.
Good suggestion. Can't do much until the ES arrives (actually sitting on my hands right now because it's supposed to be delivered today), then I'll tape the fuse together, load it with the gear, and try to work on the CG before I actually glue anything together.

Quote:
Here's another tip. MAKE SURE you understand how the wing attaches. Many, many people misread the instructions and goof this step up!!!
Okayyyyy...

Quote:
On my very first E-Starter, I was one of the ones who goofed it up... Then again, in retrospect, I think I've managed to screw up just about every step in the instructions at one time or another in building my E-Starters... LOL.
That's it, Chuck. Just leave us hanging by a thin thread and wondering when it's going to break and drop us on our @$$.

Come on, now... Be a good sport and give us a little hint as to what you did wrong...!!!

Quote:
And they STILL managed to fly like homesick doves!

Chuck
Whew!!! That's a relief.

Bill
Apr 07, 2009, 02:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh

Come on, now... Be a good sport and give us a little hint as to what you did wrong...!!!

Bill
Hi Bill,

That's actually a good idea. What I'll do is hunt up an unstarted E-Starter and take a couple pics of the correct sequence of parts to use when gluing in the wing hold down assembly. It's verrrrrrry easy to get them oriented backwards, and it should help out new builders of the E-Starter. Gimme a little time to post the pics.

Chuck
Apr 07, 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Chuck.

I hope this thread will include a lot of tips and tricks to help out not only the new builders but for those who are building their next E-Starter.

Bill
Apr 07, 2009, 03:36 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Hi Bill,

That's actually a good idea. What I'll do is hunt up an unstarted E-Starter and take a couple pics of the correct sequence of parts to use when gluing in the wing hold down assembly. It's verrrrrrry easy to get them oriented backwards, and it should help out new builders of the E-Starter. Gimme a little time to post the pics.

Chuck
I assume you're talking about using the "standard" nut type wing hold down? Is any of what you're sayin about this necessary when using the rod/rubber-band method?
Oct 05, 2010, 12:02 PM
Houng-wen Lin
EPO version E-Starter also avalible soon!

Some test production already ship to many countries.
Nov 03, 2011, 10:00 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Due to the shipping charge getting very expensive in this few years, GWS is considering to make a smaller E-Starter which power by GWS EPS-150C.

How do you think?

Give your opinions to GWS: service@gws.com.tw

We like to hear from you!
Nov 03, 2011, 10:07 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
Due to the shipping charge getting very expensive in this few years, GWS is considering to make a smaller E-Starter which power by GWS EPS-150C.

How do you think?

Give your opinions to GWS: service@gws.com.tw

We like to hear from you!
I have always had an E-Starter, and will always have one. I consider it to be the best 16 ounce plane I've ever flown.

I would never buy a shrunken version of it.
May 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
Good to find this thread.
Jul 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
If it aint broke, tweak it!
Here's a lightweight EPO build: Ufdah's E-Starter Build