The Sportsman's Soaring Program - Page 78 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 13, 2017, 03:44 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Hi Steve, I am still working the program. I am working on my copper level, need those 30 minute flights. Maybe I will get them this coming season. I am a better pilot this year compared to last year, at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2017, 09:00 PM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
Quote:
I would like to know where the schedule is for all the sportsman program levels?
John,

You can use the internet wayback machine here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160312...ngprogram.com/

Ryan
Jan 23, 2017, 08:28 AM
Panda Panda Panda Panda Panda
So I did the Copper a while back, it was fun. Some day I might do work on the Bronze.

I have 2 questions. Maybe these have been asked before and if so apologies for re asking.

1) For the ladder/A Frame on the higher levels there is a precision time requirement (+- N seconds) and a precision landing requirement (within M meters). For the advanced ladders a requirement is "Miss a flight time and you must start back at the beginning " Does this mean that if you make the time but miss the landing you don't have to start over or should that say "miss a flight time and/or landing and you must start back at the beginning"?

2) For the simulated contests you have to make a flight, then wait 30 minutes (+-2 minutes) to make the 2nd flight, then do the same wait 30 minutes +- 2 minutes to make the 3rd flight. Within the 4 minute flight window could a person make multiple attempts? Say for example you launch, decide the air is bad, come land real fast and re launch within the 4 minute window. That would be sort of ala F3J where a pilot can make a relaunch.

Thanks!

Ryan
Jan 30, 2017, 05:39 PM
founder of the SSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
So I did the Copper a while back, it was fun. Some day I might do work on the Bronze.

I have 2 questions. Maybe these have been asked before and if so apologies for re asking.

1) For the ladder/A Frame on the higher levels there is a precision time requirement (+- N seconds) and a precision landing requirement (within M meters). For the advanced ladders a requirement is "Miss a flight time and you must start back at the beginning " Does this mean that if you make the time but miss the landing you don't have to start over or should that say "miss a flight time and/or landing and you must start back at the beginning"?

2) For the simulated contests you have to make a flight, then wait 30 minutes (+-2 minutes) to make the 2nd flight, then do the same wait 30 minutes +- 2 minutes to make the 3rd flight. Within the 4 minute flight window could a person make multiple attempts? Say for example you launch, decide the air is bad, come land real fast and re launch within the 4 minute window. That would be sort of ala F3J where a pilot can make a relaunch.

Thanks!

Ryan

As for #1. It was our intent that if you missed the "rung" of the ladder you started over. Nobody ever noticed the wording being off before.

As for #2. I would have to find a copy of the rules and take a look before I could say.
Apr 01, 2017, 09:40 PM
PBR Sailplane
Flying season is finally here in my part of Michigan..Yea!!!
I am going to make the first level this year... Only have the 30 minute flights, and I couldn't catch a break last year. Plenty of 25 + minute flights, none hit 30.
Apr 07, 2017, 03:57 PM
founder of the SSP
Good luck! Glad to see people are still participating in the program.
Apr 30, 2017, 06:23 PM

Join?

I would like to join this, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Don
May 02, 2017, 06:10 AM
founder of the SSP
Contact Thermaler.
Jun 07, 2017, 06:53 AM
founder of the SSP
Thermaler is still active on here it looks like. He posted in another thread June 4th. I PM'd him again to try and find out what's up. Hopefully he will get back to me. There's nothing much I can do for you guys as he has all the SSP stuff. The program's future is in his hands. Hopefully he won't let it die as I can see there is still interest in it.
Jun 14, 2017, 03:34 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_wood
I would like to join this, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Don

Have you made any progress Don?
How about the rest of you folks?
We have over 100 aspirants and 19 members doing ? ? ?

I know some have said it is hard to follow the program but if you do your skills will follow . . . ;>)

Joe
Last edited by Thermaler; Jun 14, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Jun 26, 2017, 09:28 AM
PBR Sailplane
I still have my eye on advancing, better weather would really help, but I'm not giving up !!!!! just missing 2- 30 minute flights and I WILL get them this year!!!

Chris