The Sportsman's Soaring Program - Page 77 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Steve Boone, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 18, 2016, 06:04 PM
Ok that's high enough
Maan, it looks so difficult LOL. Congrat!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2016, 06:42 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!

Nice Job

Congratulations on your flight. Nice Job.

The weather here has been awesome the past few days too. I ran out after work yesterday and put up my first flight of the year after a long winter. Certainly not as epic as yours, but 18 minutes was enough to get the fingers working the sticks again. Hope the weather holds for a few more days. Summer is coming.

Good Luck with your next task.

Murph
Apr 19, 2016, 07:58 AM
founder of the SSP
Thanks guys. There were times that a few clicks of rudder, some down elevator so it would quit climbing and it was hands off flying. There's something about a day like yesterday and a floater sailplane that are just fun. Throw in some hawks or vultures and it's just relaxing. You just have to be sure not to nod off in the chair.
Apr 19, 2016, 06:04 PM
Balsa breaks better
You are working way too hard for this Steve. You need to relax and enjoy!!

Good job, again!! So what is left on your sheet?

Joe
Apr 20, 2016, 08:27 AM
founder of the SSP
I tell you, this old body sure appreciated the lounge chair. I just need the 1K G&R and I'll be done. I really don't think I can do that with the Radian as it's hard for me to see at a good altitude. I seriously need new glasses. I really don't want to try it by thermal hopping at low altitude. There's times I wonder what the guys that made this program were thinking with some of these tasks.
Apr 20, 2016, 08:53 AM
The Detritus of Rcgroups
I bet if you had a spotter that is a pilot with good eyes the Radian would be OK. Get it high, have the spotter help you into the back of the truck, pop out and back for 1K.

Ryan
Apr 22, 2016, 07:31 AM
founder of the SSP
I have an open field on both sides of the road all the way to the turn around point. It's just too hard for me to speck out and see to make the attempt without some better eyes to help. I'm thinking of doing a few mods to the Radian and then possibly painting it a bit to help. Most of it is my eyes though. I'm in serious need of new glasses. I go in 3 weeks to solve that, Old age is a pain.
Jan 05, 2017, 01:20 AM
Hi Folks

I thought there had been a loss of interest as there had been no updated since April, but no, after going back a few pages.

I started this programme many moons ago. Moving house a few times has hindered my flying but not my enthusiasm. I am new in a part if Australia where summer time is great for thermal activity. The World 1:1 gliders are having the WC at Benalla (VICTORIA) just down the road from where I live.

With a few modellers who are interested in gliding I have made some progress with the Copper level.

I do not have any models that are suitable for the "Catch" slope flights. So I need to do the thermal with landings. Today I had a good flight but no box ticked.

Spoilers out at 13minutes and landed at 26minutes No 3M landing.

Cheers John QUigley
Jan 06, 2017, 12:44 PM
Registered Taranis User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie John
Hi Folks

I thought there had been a loss of interest as there had been no updated since April, but no, after going back a few pages.
Really? I clicked the link in the opening post and got this:
Latest blog entry: Taranis: LiPo Fuel Gauge!
Jan 06, 2017, 06:27 PM
Hi Folks

I was referring to the last entry was april 16!.

I would like to know where the schedule is for all the sportsman program levels?

Cheers aussie john
Jan 06, 2017, 07:27 PM
I have been concerned about this program, sent an email to the founder , but no reply.
On the first page of this thread is a link to the programs web site, I had no luck there either.

I hope it is not a health issue.

Ray
Woodys Forever
Sky Bench. Home of Wood Crafters.
Latest blog entry: From my Fall 2012 Newsletter
Jan 13, 2017, 10:16 AM
founder of the SSP
Sorry guys. I'm not sure how the program is going as Joe (Thermaller) has been running it for about 4 yrs now. Unfortunately my wife found out she has 2 different cancers and so I asked Joe to take over. Then a little over a year ago I started having some heart issues and so we decided to downsize our lives. Spent a year dealing with selling our house and buying a new one. So I no longer have a flying field. I have been told there are some in my area but they have a 400' limit due to Grissom Air Base. I plan to check these out this summer and see what's up. I've actually been selling off most of my fleet. Depending on what I find out I may keep a couple and continue to fly. I don't know what has happened to Joe. Last I knew all was well and he was still running the program. Hope this helps a bit.
Jan 13, 2017, 04:31 PM
Sent Joe an Email, no reply. Looks like interest in the program has stopped.

Ray
Woodys Forever
Jan 13, 2017, 04:38 PM
founder of the SSP
Is there anyone still working the program or interested in starting it? Chime in and let's see what's going on.
Jan 13, 2017, 04:40 PM
Steve, hats off to you brother for your contribution to encouraging interest in RC Soaring.

One of the things that has changed is most all my kits are being built with electric motors.
Winch in the nose, very convienent.

Ray
Woodys Forever
www.skybench.com