Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
Patrick R. Sklenar
Patrick R. Sklenar
Guest

recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


Good afternoon,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a 15+ year break
(previously had a Kyosho Ultima and Tamiya Ninja - both electric).
While I would really like to get into nitro, considering where I'll be
running the car 90% of time, electric is just the smarter way to go so
as to avoid annoying the neighbors. Therefore I've been looking at
various cars/trucks and have pretty much decided to go with the HPI
RS4 MT kit with the Baja Bug body (I'm going to paint it identical to
an old Baja Beetle some friends & I built & ran locally back in the
'70s).

This is going to be purely a basher and will be run in my yard
and occastionally in local parking lots and/or parks. I have no
intention of racing. My question is ... what upgrades (I guess
they're called "hop ups" now-a-days?) should I consider immediately?
I figure the aluminum shocks & ball bearing kits are a no-brainer.
Any other recommendations to improve durability and/or runtimes?

Also, given my expected type of running, what type of motor would
make sense? Stock or a reduced number of turns and why? I don't
recall there being quite so many options in motors back when I was
last into this.

Thanks!
--
pat----
Mar 27, 2003, 01:53 PM
Pt3
Pt3
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


Excellent choice, in fact it was my first one after about a 7 year break.
Bearings are a must with this one and shocks are too. Two other ones are in
order.

1. Front MIP or the HPI branded CVD's are a must. You have to really play
with some o-rings to keep the front shafts from popping out, but once the
CVD's are in place......no more problems.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWB73&P=0

2. Graphite chassis stiffener as well.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...PROFIL=++&sear
ch3=Go

3. 17 turn motor is recommended.

Patrick




"Patrick R. Sklenar" <pat@sklenar.info> wrote in message
news:Xns934B8DCBEB605PrsEmailCom99@168.183.51.28.. .
> Good afternoon,
>
> I'm getting back into the hobby after a 15+ year break
> (previously had a Kyosho Ultima and Tamiya Ninja - both electric).
> While I would really like to get into nitro, considering where I'll be
> running the car 90% of time, electric is just the smarter way to go so
> as to avoid annoying the neighbors. Therefore I've been looking at
> various cars/trucks and have pretty much decided to go with the HPI
> RS4 MT kit with the Baja Bug body (I'm going to paint it identical to
> an old Baja Beetle some friends & I built & ran locally back in the
> '70s).
>
> This is going to be purely a basher and will be run in my yard
> and occastionally in local parking lots and/or parks. I have no
> intention of racing. My question is ... what upgrades (I guess
> they're called "hop ups" now-a-days?) should I consider immediately?
> I figure the aluminum shocks & ball bearing kits are a no-brainer.
> Any other recommendations to improve durability and/or runtimes?
>
> Also, given my expected type of running, what type of motor would
> make sense? Stock or a reduced number of turns and why? I don't
> recall there being quite so many options in motors back when I was
> last into this.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> pat----



Mar 27, 2003, 02:12 PM
Patrick R. Sklenar
Patrick R. Sklenar
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


"Pt3" <rfeded@nospam.com> wrote:

> 1. Front MIP or the HPI branded CVD's are a must. You have to
> really play with some o-rings to keep the front shafts from
> popping out, but once the CVD's are in place......no more
> problems.


Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply! T'is appreciated.

Could you clarify the above for me? Do you mean that I need o-
rings to hold the CVD's in? Or that by using the CVDs I'll not need o-
rings which would have been used on the front shafts?

Also, with a 17 turn motor, would I need to play around with
changing the gearing? Or would the stock gears be safe for the motor
.... at least until I learn a bit more about it again.

And again, thanks,
--
pat----
Mar 27, 2003, 07:32 PM
Pt3
Pt3
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


Actually, the o-rings are only needed when using the stock dog bones. You
have to have a happy medium with them or they will pop out. With the CVD's
you will not need them. CVD's just makes you life a little easier.

As far as the motor is concerned.....HPI recommends a 17 turn, so stock
gears will be fine.


Patrick



"Patrick R. Sklenar" <pat@sklenar.info> wrote in message
news:Xns934B992376098PrsEmailCom99@168.183.51.28.. .
> "Pt3" <rfeded@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Front MIP or the HPI branded CVD's are a must. You have to
> > really play with some o-rings to keep the front shafts from
> > popping out, but once the CVD's are in place......no more
> > problems.

>
> Patrick,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply! T'is appreciated.
>
> Could you clarify the above for me? Do you mean that I need o-
> rings to hold the CVD's in? Or that by using the CVDs I'll not need o-
> rings which would have been used on the front shafts?
>
> Also, with a 17 turn motor, would I need to play around with
> changing the gearing? Or would the stock gears be safe for the motor
> ... at least until I learn a bit more about it again.
>
> And again, thanks,
> --
> pat----



Mar 27, 2003, 07:52 PM
Patrick R. Sklenar
Patrick R. Sklenar
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


"Pt3" <rfeded@nospam.com> wrote:

> the o-rings are only needed when using the stock dog bones. ... With
> the CVD's you will not need them. ...


Cool! That's what I was hoping you meant.


> As far as the motor is concerned.....HPI recommends a 17 turn, so
> stock gears will be fine.


Perfect. Excellent news.

Again, thank you very much for your input!

G'night,
--
pat----
Mar 29, 2003, 05:22 PM
Tommy C
Tommy C
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


PT3 is right on. The only other thing I would recommend is the titanium
turnbuckles. While they are definetely not a "must" (especially for
bashing), the stock turnbuckles seem quite week. My son bent 4 in about a
week just bashing around the yard.

"Patrick R. Sklenar" <pat@sklenar.info> wrote in message
news:Xns934BD3F2DABA7prsxnewstoken@68.1.17.6...
> "Pt3" <rfeded@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > the o-rings are only needed when using the stock dog bones. ... With
> > the CVD's you will not need them. ...

>
> Cool! That's what I was hoping you meant.
>
>
> > As far as the motor is concerned.....HPI recommends a 17 turn, so
> > stock gears will be fine.

>
> Perfect. Excellent news.
>
> Again, thank you very much for your input!
>
> G'night,
> --
> pat----



Mar 31, 2003, 07:32 AM
Patrick R. Sklenar
Patrick R. Sklenar
Guest

Re: recommended upgrades for HPI's RS4 MT (electric)?


"Tommy C" <tekrsq@comcast.net> wrote:

> PT3 is right on. The only other thing I would recommend is the
> titanium turnbuckles. While they are definetely not a "must"
> (especially for bashing), the stock turnbuckles seem quite week.


Tommy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw that someone else had made the
same recommendation over on radiocontrolzone.com before their forum DB
developed problems this weekend. It's also been suggested that I
probably don't have to worry about the stock shocks as much as I had
been.

Again, thank you!
--
pat----


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold #1615 new hpi nitro-star .15fe engine hpi nitro rs4 3 hpi mt super nitro mt2 Silver99gsx Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 5 Dec 07, 2016 09:58 AM
Sold RTR HPI NITRO RS4 MT RC CAR W/ .15fe ENGINE 1/10 Stadium Truck Silver99gsx Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 9 Nov 26, 2016 08:07 AM
Sold RTR HPI NITRO RS4 MT RC CAR W/ .15fe ENGINE 1/10 Stadium Truck Silver99gsx Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 2 Nov 26, 2016 08:06 AM
For Sale HPI RS4 Rally HPI Nitro MT HPI Micro RS4 TeamAE RC10B4RS LexLutherXI Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 4 Feb 28, 2008 11:56 AM
Found TRADE: Nitro HPI RS4 MT for Electric Helli rockom Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 May 04, 2006 08:35 AM