Apr 02, 2009, 08:34 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Discussion

'Dark Star' stealth delta

Here is my new delta plane, called the Dark Star. Its actually a simple planform... inspired from the tiles on my floor.
This version uses duel tails (Jimi Jetstream tails), prop in the slot, and my baby SR-71 cockpit/canopy (which I've yet to build).
Plans are provided. You can use any size 'squares' to make this delta (see plan) to suit the size of electronics you have. My Dark Star is based on 12 inch squares, but cut out of depron as two pieces (see plan). Do NOT cut your plane from three seperate squares, cut them according to the plan, as "wing halves".
CG is located at the same distance as your 'square' ie 12 inch square, so CG is 12 inches from the nose. I made two test gliders, both different sizes, to verify this. (If yours is different please post the results, so others can be updated. Thanks.)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2009, 08:41 PM
Yummy cheese
That is pretty cool looking. Have you flown it yet?

How do you think it would run with a speed 300 motor and a 2s 800mah battery?
Apr 02, 2009, 08:55 PM
Look outside the Square
Look'n Good Don . Another Kiss Principle Plane. Amazing sometimes where we get our inspiration from. What are you going to power it with etc.

B x
Apr 02, 2009, 09:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro_man996
That is pretty cool looking. Have you flown it yet?

How do you think it would run with a speed 300 motor and a 2s 800mah battery?
I don't rightly know, I've not flown the plane yet. I'm building the cockpit/canopy as I write this. The electronics have jot been installed yet. I would assume the 300 may work, but it may well be slow/underpowered.
The motor system I'm going to use most likely be a 2408-21 or simular bell-type, with 11.1 v 1300 mah pack, spinning an eight inch APC prop.
Apr 02, 2009, 09:22 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Canopy/cockpit from my baby SR-71. I think it looks good sitting on this plane. I'm about ready fro electronics now.
Apr 02, 2009, 09:24 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I'm building two Dark Star planes, the other is used to test the Pelikan tail system on this thread by Vanish.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1018999
Apr 02, 2009, 11:49 PM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I've got the plane ready to test fly. I did notice I set the motor mount stick a bit off from center. It slants to the left, as viewed from the top, with the nose pointed forward, about 2-3 degrees off. I obviously wasn't paying attention. Other then this mishap, she's ready to take to the skies.
I could not put the battery inside the cockpit, so I put a battery bay under the fuselage, hidden in the "jet engine" nacelle. The problem was that I cut the prop slot too far forward, which made no room to balance the plane at the CG area, and still keep the batt inside. On the next one I'll be sure to put the slot rearwards a few inches.
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Apr 03, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Apr 03, 2009, 01:25 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
Nic and I went and maidened the plane a while ago. As expected the crooked mount did cause some fits with trimming, so Nic brought it back in and I added more trimming at the control horn. I also moved the battery forward, which now it seems the CG is 11.5 inches from the nose. (It seemed to fly tail-heavy). After trimming in-flight she flew well. Nic flew circuits to get used to it. He flew it about ten minutes, with his fingers freezing, lost oriention and smacked the snow. My hands were also very cold working the camera. I'll try to post a vid soon.
I intend to build a new one, making sure to glue the motot mount on correctly, and moving the prop slot further back. (This plane is repairable, and I'll re-glue it tomorrow).
Here is a 12 second vid.
Dark Star maiden 012 (0 min 11 sec)
Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; Apr 03, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
Apr 03, 2009, 05:34 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Rust.... NICE one !!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Apr 03, 2009, 08:17 AM
Concept Builder
Lookin' good Rusty. Your planes always look nice in the air.
Apr 03, 2009, 08:26 AM
TJC
TJC
Crossweave king
Another little jem from the Rusty drawing board!
Apr 03, 2009, 08:27 AM
3DHS 'native'
And I am sitting here waiting for it to warm up to fly...its 40 degrees out
Apr 03, 2009, 10:37 AM
My plans are in my blog
Thread OP
I haven't done much for designing planes in some months, except for a few here and there. It does feel good to be back. I've got a bundle of Depron now.
We're in our early spring, although its still just below zero, winds were light enough to fly last evening, so we went. It was very cold to our hands, but we enjoyed the maiden flight.
Nic says he ants one of these planes now, so we'll continue to perfect the design abd post more plans soon.
Apr 03, 2009, 03:45 PM
Yummy cheese
Looks good! I bet it tastes better... yummmy foam...

sorry I better go eat...
Apr 03, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yummy cheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Here is my new delta plane, called the Dark Star. Its actually a simple planform... inspired from the tiles on my floor.
This version uses duel tails (Jimi Jetstream tails), prop in the slot, and my baby SR-71 cockpit/canopy (which I've yet to build).
Plans are provided. You can use any size 'squares' to make this delta (see plan) to suit the size of electronics you have. My Dark Star is based on 12 inch squares, but cut out of depron as two pieces (see plan). Do NOT cut your plane from three seperate squares, cut them according to the plan, as "wing halves".
Well I cut 8 3" squares and glued them together... wait... or was that 3 8" squares... ah crap... haha... just kidding...

I couldn't resist... Hopefully I didn't make anyone cut 5 3.5" squares... that would just be a waste of foam.

Quick Reply