The EGE is Back, Repaired and Improved - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by dmt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 28, 2009, 12:25 PM
Registered User
dmt's Avatar

The EGE is Back, Repaired and Improved

After a looong layoff (about 8 months?), I've finally repaired my EGE and kind of have it back flying. I say "kind of" because it's not flying great and/or I'm not flying it great. However, I was already starting to do a bit better by the end of today's flying session (my third, including the first day [actually night, out at the soccer field] of only test tosses to set the trims and check repair integrity; and then a brief second day which I ended quickly as things were a bit sketchy).

Why the long layoff? Well, I just got really, really frustrated with this plane. When my servo control horn broke on my last flight, on what was a decent landing, I got so frustrated it's unbelievable. I ordered some servo fairings, but then I couldn't get my servo out and ... it just sat. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Radian, but I'd have to import it [at some expense] -- and the exchange rate [for me] absolutely sucks these days. I kept thinking, "I have that damn EZGE just sitting there, only a few steps away from being repaired. I have to at least try to get it flying one more time before investing in the Radian..."

So, I got the servo out, fixed, and then back in. I covered the aileron servos and pushrods with the fairings I'd ordered. I put black tape on the bottom in a pattern that should aid visibility and orientation (something I'd kept meaning to do, but had never done [for various reasons]). Likewise, I had put off something I consider pretty essential -- taping the wings' leading edges with strapping tape. Repeated wing damage has been one of my big frustrations with this plane in the past. Anyway, I got the leading edges taped. Finally, I had been meaning to paint the right wingtip flourescent green and the left flourescent pink, as another orientation aid. I got that done too. Oh yeah, and I discovered a hairline tear in the aileron hing (of the aileron that had been damaged), and I think I've repaired that (we'll see how it holds up).

And then on to the test tosses. And finally flying it around and even getting some decent landings in today.
Last edited by dmt; Mar 28, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts

Thread Tools