Mar 27, 2009, 05:29 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Thread OP
Build Log

Ever seen a "HEPTAD"....

"HEPTAD" definition....Seven or group of seven

With this design I have combined features from six of my prior designs. There are bits and pieces of the ORB, Vision, Solution, UltraBeast, Creeper, and UL Solution. Add the final outcome "HEPTAD" and you have a group of seven designs all smashed into one with a few new twists here and there. . I always try and simplify things from one design to the next and I feel this is by far the most simple build I have put together. The ply parts count has been minimized, the electronic component install is a breeze, and the foam shape is simple as well. The plane balances spot on with a 10 oz camera. The wing can easily be shifted back with a forward shim to obtain C.G. with a lighter camera.

I wanted to keep "Foam" as the first thing to impact an unplanned target if/when a crash occurs. This plane will be the first of a series of we will try to call them "safer" AP platforms. While this one is far from perfect, the camera is still a second impact issue. I have a pile of EPP coming to my home for the next design I am working on. Meanwhile take a peek at this latest creature I have living in my shop. I have included pics with details on features.

The weather looks to shaping up for the weekend so I should be able to get a chance to see how/if this thing flys well or not. One thing I did notice is that when I run up the motor I do not hear nearly as much ripping/cavitating sound as I do with the ORB. This makes me think that a lot of the noise is not only coming from the prop wacking by the fuse area in front but the area in back as well. With this design there is no "rear" fuse area for the air to hit. The tail surfaces are larger than in the past. The wing is the ORB style which has been IMO bullet proof so I continue to use it on the larger models. I will add that even though this is a tall, corny looking, awkward shape it still fits in my Passat

Wingspan 80"
Wing area 1200 sq in
Wing loading 7.923 oz/ sq in
Motor AXI 2820-14
Prop APC 14-7
Lipo 3s 2100
ESC PH-45
AUW with Canon A-640 and 3s 2100 66 oz

I will post a report soon.....

EDIT: HEPTAD V2 Maiden video. The original design did not fly well at all. The mods to V2 make it a different animal

Here are a few videos, enjoy!!!

http://whispershots.smugmug.com/gall...9_XuKY2/Medium

http://whispershots.smugmug.com/gall...026_qpUk6-A-LB

http://whispershots.smugmug.com/gall...3_BWPBc/Medium

SLOW FLY TESTING VIDEO

http://whispershots.smugmug.com/gall...1_unu3P/Medium

PLANS

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=86

Mike
Last edited by power; Feb 21, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2009, 05:46 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
You're too much!
Mar 27, 2009, 06:00 PM
Foam on the range
Mike, you amaze; I like it! Simpler is better and this looks to fit the bill. I especially like it because now I don't have to worry about trashing my Orb, because if I do, I can build a Heptad. But wait, by the time I get it built, it will be two design iterations old. Stop already, stop; I can't keep up. Patiently awaiting video.
Mar 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
Oh boy, here we go again!

Can't wait to see how this one goes. I realize that I don't really have any excuses for not getting things done when some (Mike) gets everything done...

-tychoc
Mar 27, 2009, 06:35 PM
Wow cool - but you should call it - Jumbo
Mar 27, 2009, 07:16 PM
Looking forward to the flight report. BTW, you can take your tree down now.

- Jeff
Mar 27, 2009, 08:15 PM
Zen in the art of foam
One of a kind, for sure!
Are the wing surfaces bare EPP? They look real smooth in the pics.
Mar 27, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57
Looking forward to the flight report. BTW, you can take your tree down now.

- Jeff

Thanks guys...

LOL, I am too busy building airplanes and forgot all about the tree We have a woodsy outdoor theme in the family room, this allows us to be lazy and leave this tree up year round. You should see the big critter we put upstairs

Mike
Mar 27, 2009, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7
One of a kind, for sure!
Are the wing surfaces bare EPP? They look real smooth in the pics.

All the foam in this model is like the others all bare "EPS" I have EPP coming for the creature

Mike
Mar 27, 2009, 08:27 PM
ProBro # 501
Boss
Last edited by Boss248; Apr 02, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Mar 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
Mike, the only video I want to see is the one of you in your shop during a new bird design! Just be sure to slow it down enough so the rest of us can keep up! LOL! Hey, if the Orb fuse looks like Pac Man, the Heptad looks like an angry Piranha with it's mouth open!

Larry
Mar 27, 2009, 09:04 PM
Gaftopher
Oh blimey

I think I should try and have this one
Mar 27, 2009, 09:57 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
Looks great can't wait for the flight report!

-Anson
Mar 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
Really hits me with its first impression. Beautiful. I also might need to build this one.

couple thoughts...with the angle of incidence, will you need to flare for landing very close to the terra firma?

also...what's the prop clearance (to the ground)? With the rough terrain on my airfield, a bit of spring to the gear and I might ding a prop?

ken
Mar 28, 2009, 06:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture
Really hits me with its first impression. Beautiful. I also might need to build this one.

couple thoughts...with the angle of incidence, will you need to flare for landing very close to the terra firma?

also...what's the prop clearance (to the ground)? With the rough terrain on my airfield, a bit of spring to the gear and I might ding a prop?

ken
Thanks Ken, good questions.

Here are my thoughts on them (and they could be very wrong ) The angle that the plane sits at rest should not matter much at all. It is not too far off from how the ORB sits on the ground. If you whatch the first ORB take off the tail does not even come up before it is flying. The second ORB take off I let the controls relax (no up elevator) and let the tail come up before I yanked it off the ground. I want short take off ability and I feel this should be close to that of the ORB.

Prop clearance.... Well, believe it or not I had intentions of flying this with my AXI 2814-16 that turns an 11-5.5 the prop looked super small tucked up in the foam. After the building progressed I could see that my weight had gone over what I allow for that power system so I jumped up a notch on the power. Very rough terrain may be an issue as clumps could find their way inside the barrier overall the 14" prop is still inside the barrier of the fuse bottom. You will need to completely bottom the gear and hit the fuse bottom and squash it a bit to hit the prop on landing. As you can see in the pics below at taxi angle I might be cutting grass a bit but I dont see it staying on the ground long Landing the bird "should" and I could be very wrong here be similar to the ORB, I am expecting soft three pointers but we will see what happens. Wheel landings may be interesting if the plane is nose heavy but even then as you see in the pic it will have to rotate the same distance as the ORB to nose over. The thing that helps these designs is the ability to get scary slow on final. Roll outs are usually nill. I dont see the need for a typical skillfull wheel landing like on a Gee Bee (nasty ground handling )

The only issue I see is that if you come in "hard" at the angle show in the pic below the fuse could possibly snap in half just above the camera. I was worried about this area going into this design but there is 6.25 inches of skinned solid 2" beaded foam in this area and snapping it on edge will require a pretty good hit.

I have a few doubts here and there on this design and it may or may not be practical in certain situations. I will see what happens and make changes if needed. I am just chompin to hit the throttle on this one. A guy can only look at them on the ground so long, they look a lot better in the air

Mike
Last edited by power; Feb 21, 2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply