Apr 20, 2009, 10:06 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Edit:

Ok... just found out that Hobbypeople wants to charge $59 for shipping to Canada

I'll be paying double what the plane's worth.. (well maybe not double since it's on sale but still...)

LOL I'm better off getting the Snap'N'Fly or preordering a PZ Sukhoi BNF ...
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Apr 21, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Well, found another airframe candidate..

It's a 24.5" foam P-51D Mustang free flight model from Bphobbies, looks pretty scale, and postage is a lot more reasonable.

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...2&pid=A3858161

I'm guessing the same setup as before should do, though I'll most likely have to modify it quite a bit..
Apr 22, 2009, 02:13 AM
Suspended Account
Little cheaper here;
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/airfly/el03.htm

Check it out
Good service too!
Randy
Apr 22, 2009, 08:13 AM
One of the usual suspects
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite
Little cheaper here;
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/airfly/el03.htm

Check it out
Good service too!
Randy
And there's an active thread on it too! > https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472937
Apr 23, 2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm bummed out to report that my brushless 10g upgrade didn't go so well. It had barely enough thrust to keep it in the air at full throttle - at least with the stock prop. I'm going to try and re-prop it with a 5.5x4.5 and also a 6x4, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm a bit surprised at how bad it flew, being only 6.25oz for my AUW.

The real pain is that I think I sealed my fate (literally) by gorilla gluing the motor mount into place. I'm not sure if she'll survive another surgery to remove/replace the 10g outrunner. I shoulda just followed Modfly's advice and spent the $22 for the replacement stock speed controller.... grrrr!!
Apr 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
One of the usual suspects
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
Well, I'm bummed out to report that my brushless 10g upgrade didn't go so well. It had barely enough thrust to keep it in the air at full throttle - at least with the stock prop. I'm going to try and re-prop it with a 5.5x4.5 and also a 6x4, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm a bit surprised at how bad it flew, being only 6.25oz for my AUW.
That doesn't surprise me. The cox micro warbirds builders were aiming for 4.5oz or less on the same size airframe. I put that 10g motor on my cox Mustang, and it was very docile with 2s lipo. When I tried 3s, the motor quit! So I replaced it with this 17 gram: http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/17Gram.htm . It flew great, and still glided well. It had a 500 mah 3s and a 6x3 prop. (Dumb thumbed it - may still rebuild it.) Anyway, that should work for you (with your bl esc).
V.
May 05, 2009, 01:45 PM
For anyone that has done a brushless upgrade, I'm looking for a working STOCK ESC that you might have lying around collecting dust. If you have one and want to get rid of it, please send me a PM! I thought I'd check around here for a used one first, before I pulled the trigger on a new one at HobbyPeople.

Thanks!
May 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious
That doesn't surprise me. The cox micro warbirds builders were aiming for 4.5oz or less on the same size airframe. I put that 10g motor on my cox Mustang, and it was very docile with 2s lipo. When I tried 3s, the motor quit! So I replaced it with this 17 gram: http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/17Gram.htm . It flew great, and still glided well. It had a 500 mah 3s and a 6x3 prop. (Dumb thumbed it - may still rebuild it.) Anyway, that should work for you (with your bl esc).
V.
that is the set up I just bought...I am gonna run a 3s with the 7X3 and let her rip....

this thing is a lot of fun with the brushed motor so I can't wait to get it some more power....

Oh and by the way.....the stock prop is crap!! change it out for a GWS of the comparable size. I put on a new one and it really flies better now even on the stock motor. It flies much faster now with the new prop...
May 12, 2009, 02:47 PM
Quote:
For anyone that has done a brushless upgrade, I'm looking for a working STOCK ESC that you might have lying around collecting dust. If you have one and want to get rid of it, please send me a PM! I thought I'd check around here for a used one first, before I pulled the trigger on a new one at HobbyPeople.

Thanks!
Are you still in need?
Just finished with my conversion. I'll let you guys know how she flies.
May 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:

The real pain is that I think I sealed my fate (literally) by gorilla gluing the motor mount into place. I'm not sure if she'll survive another surgery to remove/replace the 10g outrunner. I shoulda just followed Modfly's advice and spent the $22 for the replacement stock speed controller.... grrrr!!
if you used the stock prop there is the problem. When I changed it alone the plane was totally different. Much more speed and it climbed better. The stock prop is junk...
May 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
@Johnnymaxxima - no, I no longer need an ESC... I was able to get a few of them from another RCG member. Thanks for the offer though!

@gooniac33 - I'll try a different prop. Does anyone know the stock prop's dimensions by chance??
May 18, 2009, 12:53 PM
I think the stock one is 4.25X3

I stepped up to a 4.5X3 and it made a pretty good difference in performance with the stock motor. But if you are going with the brushless set up I don't know yet. When I flew nitro and wanted a lot of thrust I would go large diameter with low pitch. for example I used 12X3 props when most used 10X6. They would leap off of the ground and climb like crazy. So I am going to start out with a 6X3 to start and see how that goes...
Last edited by gooniac33; May 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
May 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
got my motor in last night. Just need to get the plane glued back together and a battery pack for it. Not sure what will fit in there. If I can get 3 cell pack in there that would be best for me! But I may have to settle for a 2 cell
May 24, 2009, 10:17 PM
ok so here is a pic of the completed plane. Got the Lazertoyz 17 gram motor with 10 amp esc with a GWS 6X3 prop. I got lucky and found some 11.1v 400mah 20c lipo packs at Aeromicro! $14.99 each and they are the exact same size as the stock batteries. Less than .2 ounces more also...

I had to add about an ounce of nose weight though so I will just look for some 2 ounce battery packs when I get time. It now makes more power at half throttle than it did at full with the brushed motor. This thing should be a monster....gonna fly tomorrow morning....
May 25, 2009, 11:49 AM
FLYINGJUNKY

Cog

Anyone know where the center of gravity is for this plane???

Quick Reply