Thread Tools
Apr 15, 2009, 09:20 PM
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
After two flights my ESC bit the dust. Not sure what happened, but it's definitely toast. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement brushed single-cell Lipo ESC? I think $22 for a new one at HobbyPeople is a bit steep.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2009, 06:52 AM
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
Does anyone know the size/weight of the stock brushed motor? It looks like it's going to be easier to do a brushless upgrade than it will be to find an inexpensive replacement ESC!
Apr 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
Effumall
kelberts's Avatar
I just made an adapter - Dean's to whatever that thing is that's on it. BTW, the included charger works just fine - I just alligator clip it to he power supply or car battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult
Does anyone have a better way of charging this single cell battery. I was thinking about switching out the connector w/ a deans so i can use my duratrax. Does anyone have any suggestions????
Thanks,Eric
Apr 16, 2009, 10:35 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
After two flights my ESC bit the dust. Not sure what happened, but it's definitely toast. Anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement brushed single-cell Lipo ESC? I think $22 for a new one at HobbyPeople is a bit steep.
Well, this is a pretty fancy ESC. It does 1 cell lipo and is a DC\DC converter. It takes the 1 cell lipo voltage and converts it to 5 volts for the radio system and servos as well as being a ESC. Its a very robust ESC and I can not figure out what you did to kill it but $22 is not a bunch for this sophisticated single cell lipo ESC and voltage converter.
Apr 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
Does anyone know the size/weight of the stock brushed motor? It looks like it's going to be easier to do a brushless upgrade than it will be to find an inexpensive replacement ESC!
Just pay the $22. Else you will spend a bunch more trying to convert it.
Apr 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
MinneFlyer, you may try to replace that esc with one from your LHS. The sometimes have greatplanes/electricfly nano brushed esc's that are pretty cheap and no shipping charges! good luck. The smaller ones are usually 7amps this should be enough. Castle also has the pixie 7 which is also a good choice, but you'd probably have to order that one, but its so tiny and lightweight
Apr 16, 2009, 11:33 AM
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
@Modfly - Yeah, after doing a bit more research I'm realizing that the stock ESC is a pretty nifty little gadget. Too bad I let the smoke out of mine, and I have no one to blame but myself. When the ESC would not arm (still not sure why that happened to begin with), I thought it might be my battery or a bad solder joint. So in a haste I picked up a small 2s 900mah to see if that was the cause, and poof!! I don't think I've ever owned an ESC designed for Lipos that couldn't tolerate the voltage of a 2s. Lesson learned... the hard way, of course. $22 for a replacement is looking more and more desirable, considering the work (time/money) involved with a conversion.

@RC WANABEE - thanks for the tip, I'll look into the GP/Electrifly ESCs.
Apr 16, 2009, 12:03 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC WANABEE
MinneFlyer, you may try to replace that esc with one from your LHS. The sometimes have greatplanes/electricfly nano brushed esc's that are pretty cheap and no shipping charges! good luck. The smaller ones are usually 7amps this should be enough. Castle also has the pixie 7 which is also a good choice, but you'd probably have to order that one, but its so tiny and lightweight
Sorry but that will not work unless you going to convert to 2s1p lipo.

The ESC\motor in this plane is for a 1 cell lipo. The motor would also need to be changed if using a ESC designed for 2 cells..
Last edited by modfly; Apr 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Apr 16, 2009, 12:07 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
@Modfly - Yeah, after doing a bit more research I'm realizing that the stock ESC is a pretty nifty little gadget. Too bad I let the smoke out of mine, and I have no one to blame but myself. When the ESC would not arm (still not sure why that happened to begin with), I thought it might be my battery or a bad solder joint. So in a haste I picked up a small 2s 900mah to see if that was the cause, and poof!! I don't think I've ever owned an ESC designed for Lipos that couldn't tolerate the voltage of a 2s. Lesson learned... the hard way, of course. $22 for a replacement is looking more and more desirable, considering the work (time/money) involved with a conversion.

@RC WANABEE - thanks for the tip, I'll look into the GP/Electrifly ESCs.
I did the same thing by accident and it did not kill the ESC but the 4.8v ips motor smoked after a few minutes of use. I thought the ESC was bad but I hooked it up to another 4.8v motor and it was fine.

Possibly the throttle trim was set to high or the lipo was discharged is the reason it would not arm.

The Electrifly series of ESC's are excellent I agree but this plane is for a 1 cell lipo and if using a 2 cell lipo, the ESC and motor would have to be changed as its designed to run off a 1 cell lipo only.
Last edited by modfly; Apr 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Apr 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
eschult's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelberts
I just made an adapter - Dean's to whatever that thing is that's on it. BTW, the included charger works just fine - I just alligator clip it to he power supply or car battery
Have you tried an ac adapter?? I am using one but the green light never comes on. Do you think that the directions are off as it says that it only takes 35 minuted to charge. I let it go for over an hour, but no green light. Thanks for the help as I am not up to speep on single cell batteries.
Thanks,Eric
Apr 18, 2009, 08:08 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
SporadicIdiocy's Avatar
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting this spitfire and upgrade to BL.

currently I'm planning to use these

1X hexTronik 16gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv 16-19g with wires (the site says it pushes 300g thrust with a 8X4 prop.)
1X TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC 13-16g with wires/connectors
1X Spektrum AR500 Rx 7-9g with wires/connectors
1X Zippy Flightmax 1000mAh 2S1P 20C 59g OR Rhino 1250mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack
82g
1X GWS HD8040 3 Blade Prop

Think these should work well with this plane and give the plane a lot more oomph, and if possible, I may even put in an extra 2.5g servo for rudder to make it a 4ch.
Apr 18, 2009, 11:58 PM
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
Sporadic - I think your setup sounds good and is pretty similar to the road I took. It should provide you with more oomph over the stock option.

I finished my brushless conversion last night (only took a few hours), but I have yet to fly her with this setup. I used a HobbyCity 10gram Brushless Outrunner, 2000kv with the stock prop and spinner. My ESC is a Fiegao 10A, and I'm using a couple of eFlite 800mah 2s1p. One thing I have to do is add some nose-weight, as my brushless setup (even with the 2s packs) is lighter now.

A quick note - I've split planes before (Cox & Estes) without much problem, but for some reason I had a heck of a time with this fuse. I ended up breaking it apart in a few places, but she's glued back together with a few scars from her upgrade.
Apr 19, 2009, 01:51 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
SporadicIdiocy's Avatar
Thanks, that made me feel a lot more confident about my setup.

When you're done with maiden, maybe you can tell me how much flying time the 2s1p 800mah give you?

If it still gives decent flighttime (10mins?) I may give up on the Rhino 1250mah as it is a bit on the heavy side.

Oh, btw, is the stock prop any good, and.. is there enough room inside the fuse for another 2.5g servo to install working rudder?

Hopefully I'll be able to get everything I need and finish the plane before summer, scraping up enough funds to finance my RC addiction is getting harder these days... lol
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Apr 19, 2009 at 04:08 AM.
Apr 19, 2009, 09:29 AM
Flying is Freedom
Sky_Captain's Avatar
MinneFlyer,
Nice job. Looks like you changed the angle of attack on the prop quite a bit. It will be interesting how it will fly. I really hope you can put up a vid of that when you get her up in the air.

SporadicIdiocy, When I split mine open for repairs, I noticed that there is room for a rudder servo. If you do it, go with a Sub Micro. But this plane really doesn't need it, unless you plan on doing some tricks that requires a rudder.
Apr 19, 2009, 11:38 AM
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
Wheelnut - great eye! The angle of attack is actually a bit more "stock" after the two halves were glued back together. I had to tweak it a bit (down and towards the right) after I glued the two halves back together, but before the glue that holds the motor-mount had a chance to set. It was kind of tricky trying to figure out just how much "down" and "right" I should add, because the new outrunner does produce more torque than the stock motor. I'll try to snap a few pictures of the "completed" airframe so you can see what I'm talking about. I'll also have some flight video up as soon as the weather gets better!

Sporadic - you should have plenty of room for a rudder servo... I think even a 4.5g would fit just fine.. but then you might have to add more nose weight.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Hobby People Phase 3 EF-16 EDF Review Michael Heer Foamy EDFs 1270 May 05, 2019 02:40 AM
Article Phase 3 Double Time EPP 3D Biplane Review Spackles94 Parkflyers 41 Mar 27, 2011 10:16 PM
Article Phase 3 Radio Ready P-40 with Retracts Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 37 Sep 10, 2010 03:49 PM
Sold Phase 3 Mini Spitfire R/C "Radio Ready" w/Sx/Mtr/ESC/Batt Mikey 68 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 27, 2009 08:18 PM
Article Phase 3 Fidget 3D Biplane Review sun.flyer 3D Flying 15 Nov 18, 2006 03:37 PM