Divinity, 42" KFm4 Slowfying wing. - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 11, 2009, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApachePilot
Daddy-O,

Glad to see you have your Divinty build underway...Something wrong with those figures... Sanding usually is done to remove access weight..not add to it... .
Nice to se how you are progressing, you are correct in the fact that there is very little building time involved. I am sure you will be very happy with Divinity during the maiden,.....

Keep us all informed.

Davor21,

Great to see that others enjoy Divinity as well, ....
You are correct in the fact that it takes very little to get Divinity flying after a crash or mishap....That is all in the design... I would definately try lighter electronics, If you think Divinity is a good flyer now, try lighter electronics and watch the vast performance increase and float ability. Your flight times will increase also as not much power is needed to keep Divinity aloft. At 300 grams+ at which trottle setting do you find yourself needing to maintain altitude? I only need 1/4 throttle.

Keep up the great building and keep us all posted....

ApachePilot
On the trottle is little bit less than half and it floats but also when I hit full trottle is going vertically very fast with lots of power.I will defenitely try with lighter electronics.And I find with currrent eletronics very good balanced.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2009, 04:18 PM
Jack
davor21 says his plane weighed in a 340 grams/12 oz., from the list of components it breaks down as follows:

121 grams - battery
69 grams - ESC (as listed by seller, probably not right??)
70 grams - motor (not including mount, prop saver, and prop)
18 grams - servos (2)
----------------
278 grams - electronics and power system weight

340 grams - reported All Up Weight (AUW)
-278 grams - electronics and power system weight
-------------------
62 grams - air frame weight

With his motor and 3S battery he is flying with about 100 Watts at full throttle (9-10 Amps at 11 Volts). He reports that he is flying it at half throttle so that is probably around 40-60 Watts or so.

ApachePilot is flying his Divinity with a lot lighter motor, battery, and ESC. His probably only has around 30 Watts of power and, of course, his plane is a lot lighter too so it all works out. He says his flies well down around 1/4 throttle so he is probably doing that on less than 10 Watts of power or so. That pretty much amazes me.

It is interesting to see how well the Divinity can handle the range of weights that are being reported here.

I don't know how much ApachePilot's AUW is.

Daddy-O asked:

"..Can anyone check out the wing loading for me on a 10 ounce Divinity? ..."

I'll get back to you on that, I have to figure that the wing area first.

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Apr 13, 2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add comment (in red)
Apr 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
John 3:16
Jack, That is some great homework you've done there. I appreciate the help with the wing loading on mine. I wanted to keep it around 9 ounces AUW. If this flies well enough, I may decide to make another one (lighter), or I may just opt to change out this heavy gear for a lighter motor / battery combo. I have about 20 J250's, and just hate to see them sitting around in a bag without being used. It is a great little motor (even though it is brushed).

BTW, a 9" prop fits very nicely in the prop cutout. I think a 10" prop would even fit. I thought about going out to a field right now to maiden the Divinity, but I can see the flag is blowing straight out right now. It will have to wait until Monday morning then.

Daddy-O
Apr 11, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jack
Daddy-O,

The Divinity has 336 sq. in. or 2.33 sq. ft. of wing area. That does not include the elevons which would add a few more square inches if you want to consider them wing area. Some people do include control surfaces as wing area and some don't, I leave them out because the are not full time load bearing like the rest of the wing.

But 10 oz. is .625 pounds so the loading works out to .268 pounds per sq. ft. That would be a little more than 4 ounces per square foot.

I don't have any sort of feel for wing loadings, does that sound like your J250's will handle it?

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Apr 11, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Apr 11, 2009, 06:59 PM
John 3:16
Thank you, Jack, for doing that. Yes, the J250's in the gearbox will hand that easily. I think it will fly pretty good! The proof is in the pudding though, so we will have to wait until Monday to be sure.

I made a mistake when I quoted my setup earlier. I am not using the 2s 500mah lipos, but the 2s 1300mah lipos (big difference in weight). Anyway, it is 10.3 ounces with the 2s1300's.

Just going down to 2s 500 lipos and the blue wonder will knock quite a bit of weight off of it. I have other choices though. I have some single cell 360 mah lipos that I can make some 3s packs out of. It should give Divinity plenty of zip without sacrificing weight. Well, that's something for the possible future, anyway.

Daddy-O
Apr 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
Jack
You know, it occurs to me that if guys keep putting up description and weights for their planes, we can pretty quickly figure out how about many Watts per ounce it takes to fly a Divinity.

I got my parts cut tonight to build one out of FFF. I have basically two choices for motors, a 24 gram BW class motor and a 15 gram motor that I just got.

ApachePilot is flying his with a E-flite Park 180 and that is a 8.5 gram motor that generates about 30 Watts on a 3S battery.

I bought a 9 gram motor for mine but may decide to go with a 24 gram Blue Wonder instead. The 9 gram motor will be about a 40 Watt system and I just find it hard to visualize that as being enough power. The 24 gram motor will be more than double that.

Jack
Apr 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
Great design.
Apr 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Great work Jack!!!

Yes, it is true....Divinity IS a real wonder and an excellent flier. I too am impressed by the weight range in which Divinity is performing.( and I am the designer).

Just for those who wish to know....Tomorrow morning, I will be starting a video build of a Divinity wing, so that others will see exactly how I started, how I build and the weight of each component used in completing this most excellent wing.

Great job everyone....This is the reason I designed Divinity; so that you, my friends and fellow modelist may have the opportunity to enjoy, in my fun and excitement.

Dinner,
Thankyou for your kind words....

Let start cutting, shall we? Great weather is coming, why not have a Divinity wing ready to fulfil your flying season?

Til next time,

ApachePilot
Apr 12, 2009, 08:53 AM
Looking forward to yours video of the building and new projects from you.
Kind Regrds
Apr 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
The Divinity build video will be up this afternoon, I am in the process of creating it now during a step by step build of this awesome wing...

Stay tuned....

ApachePilot
Apr 12, 2009, 01:33 PM
Divinity build video uploading now.....

ApachePilot
Apr 12, 2009, 02:44 PM
Super I am wating to see the video
Apr 12, 2009, 09:52 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
Which plans are updated and also how did you leave the foam board(covered or uncovered, with the paper)?
Apr 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
69 grams - ESC
Jack
What esc is he using, that seems really heavy.
Apr 12, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry gang,

I am on my 4th attempt at uploading the build video. I have vonage here at home and when the phone rings, my upload locks up. I will try to upload it tonight while everyone is asleep. Please be patient....

ookid,

All the Divinity plans are updated, so please choose any one you prefer,...

The paper is removed from the foam after cutting out the individual parts.

(Papers, we don' need no stinking papers)...

*** New Divinity wing from the build video is RTF*** Stay tuned for the maiden.

ApachePilot.

Quick Reply