Divinity, 42" KFm4 Slowfying wing. - Page 152 - RC Groups
May 30, 2018, 07:37 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Check out the instructions

If you look at the PDF plans there is a write up that says, "Flying the Divinity - Toss at half throttle like a Frisbee. Leave Full Movement in control surfaces, just be gentle in pitch control until you adjust Exponential and Servo Travel to your liking"
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2018, 09:09 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
If you look at the PDF plans there is a write up that says, "Flying the Divinity - Toss at half throttle like a Frisbee. Leave Full Movement in control surfaces, just be gentle in pitch control until you adjust Exponential and Servo Travel to your liking"
Yep, unless the frisbee toss is too difficult for the individual, then the discus throw would be better....unless you can't do that either, then a buddy tossing it for you is better ' that is, if your buddy doesn't toss it into the ground'....... then put wheels on it.
May 30, 2018, 11:44 AM
sometimes there are better ways to do things, i found large wings too awkward to throw frizky style. doing it discus after a few experimental tries was easier.
May 30, 2018, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
sometimes there are better ways to do things, i found large wings too awkward to throw frizky style. doing it discus after a few experimental tries was easier.
Yep, I have a 60 inch wing that I made the skin and ribs using dtf and it's a pain to toss one handed frisbee style...can't get a good grip without punching holes in it. I may need to practice my discus throwing and try that way.
May 30, 2018, 01:54 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
So just like a DLG eh? I may try that.

I was getting to the point last night where it wasn't so much a toss as it was a "release" and let the glider fly out of my hands. When I actually "threw" it then I got into trouble.
May 30, 2018, 03:27 PM
I use the frisbee toss with all of my pusher type planes.....I like to keep my fingers.
Sometimes I forget and throw the tractors that way also.
Jun 10, 2018, 06:19 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

The wing is dead. Long live the new Wing!

So I took my 42" D2 out on Friday night and then again on Saturday. What I learned is that I really suck at Frisbee tossing. And that if you hit the ground enough times you will break your flying wing so many times that repairs become impossible.

Divinty II Flying Wing 06 06 2018 (4 min 50 sec)

As you can see I did get it airborne. And while it was pitchy due to a loose clevis, I got to perform some flights. No doubt about it, I do like flying this

But at the end of the day the foam was cracked and distorted so that the thrust line was all screwed up. There was no more room for any kind of repair. Plus, I'm not loving those Dubro Micro Push rods. The fact that you have to solder a spring onto the end and then thread the clevis on is IMHO a joke. After a couple impacts the clevis will move or come loose. I just don't get them. I prefer a straight push rod with a simple Z-bend.

Plus I think that the fact that this was a KFm made it a bit less durable. The wing was bending at the cut out for the servos. If it was a KFm4 it would have had more meat there.

I am taking he lessons I learned with this wing and I will apply them to the next one I build.
Jun 11, 2018, 08:53 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Started on my new 42" D2 build

Last nightI cut out the parts for another 42" D2 but this time I made enough KFm steps to make it a REAL KFm4 wing. I also used Jack's idea of adding pallet strapping to reinforce the wing as well as making a filler piece for the back end. I gotta' say, this is a MUCH more substantial wing now. It's still light but it's got a lot more "oomph" where it counts. I need to let the glue dry and I'll probably finish up the major build tomorrow. I want to add a piece of EPP to the back to give me a better, more resilient motor mount surface. I saw one person on here cut a slot in a piece of similar foam to make a kind of motor pylon. That's pretty much what I want to do.

Quick Reply